Winchester Model 70 Featherweight

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve owned one new production Model 70.

The good -
Gorgeous maple stock, really nicely done bluing. The receiver was true from the factory. No issues with safety engagement or function.

The mediocre -
The “MOA” trigger was entirely too heavy as delivered and was, after adjustment, entirely too heavy. Limited after market support left me with an OK Timney unit. The bolt‘s operation was… utilitarian. Easily bested in feel and performance by my Tikka. The “hot glue gun” bedding wasn’t worthy of the name, but was “good enough.” The bolt lugs required lapping because only one actually engaged the receiver when locked. The extractor required tuning/filing to function properly. It was poor enough that I bought a spare just in case I couldn’t get it up to snuff.

The bad -
It was a 2 MOA (most probably a 3 MOA gun, actually) at best with the factory barrel. Really no getting around that. No amount of break-in, hand lapping, bedding, or load experimentation could change that sad and unfortunate fact. Only a new barrel was able to fix it.

The personal -
Mine was a .30-06 and delivered with a 3.4” internal magazine. Totally unacceptable for my purposes/intended use. My fault for not catching it before buying. The standard LOP of 13.75” is entirely too long necessitating either a new stock or custom work to cut it down. The bolt had very little clearance with a 30mm tube, 44mm OBJ optic mounted in “medium” height rings. Some of that is attributable to bolt handle geometry/length; no such problems with my Tikka.

amassi

WKR
Unmodified, they aren’t really well suited to the .280 AI - unless you shoot light weights or like jamming your 160-168 bullets into the powder.
Nonsense
At 3.330 ,the 280 ai can get the 168 to 2950 out of a 24" barrel. The boat tail will protrude .010 into the powder column. Hardly an issue
What could possibly be gained in that size cartridge moving out to 3.6"+?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
Nonsense
At 3.330 ,the 280 ai can get the 168 to 2950 out of a 24" barrel. The boat tail will protrude .010 into the powder column. Hardly an issue
What could possibly be gained in that size cartridge moving out to 3.6"+?

I find the case is best at ~3.45” COAL with a little space left over to ensure feeding. My numbers have the ELD-M at 1.424”, the ELD-X 1.478”, Matrix 168 1.425”. With a 3.450” COAL and a 2.540” case length that’s .500”+ worth of bullet into a case with a neck of about .36” (depending on your brass). It is about one caliber of shank in the neck.

It may be we differ in our calculations or our philosophy. If you‘re happy with your Tikka and your load there really isn’t any arguing with that.

amassi

WKR
I find the case is best at ~3.45” COAL with a little space left over to ensure feeding. My numbers have the ELD-M at 1.424”, the ELD-X 1.478”, Matrix 168 1.425”. With a 3.450” COAL and a 2.540” case length that’s .500”+ worth of bullet into a case with a neck of about .36” (depending on your brass). It is about one caliber of shank in the neck.

It may be we differ in our calculations or our philosophy. If you‘re happy with your Tikka and your load there really isn’t any arguing with that.
Not philosophy but every time someone mentions building a 280ai on a medium action everybody cries fowl that their leaving something on the table.

What's your velocity at 3.45? On any of those bullets you mentioned what's the added range?
It's probably like 50 additional yards and occurs at 950 yards.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
Not philosophy but every time someone mentions building a 280ai on a medium action everybody cries fowl that their leaving something on the table.

What's your velocity at 3.45? On any of those bullets you mentioned what's the added range?
It's probably like 50 additional yards and occurs at 950 yards.

It‘s really not about the range. It’s about loading for precision and not being forced to jump your bullets in the 100s because you cannot get them any closer to the lands or seat them below the neck shoulder junction because there’s not room in the mag. You can swap bottom metal on a Tikka and get to 3.5” fairly easily… and since it’s the same action regardless, there’s really no reason not to unless you like the factory plastic/mag combo.

I actually sold a M70 over this as noted in my other post. I wasn’t happy with the rifle for a few reasons, but being capped at like 3.37” for reliable feeding was a significant issue with my desired projectile choice in .30-06. You might get a rifle and load that love a big jump and shoot really well… you might not.

Suffice to say we disagree on this point and probably don’t need to belabor it at the expense of the OP.

QuackAttack

Lil-Rokslider
I recently bought a new featherweight and I noticed what distinctly looks like a built in contact/support for the barrel to rest against the forearm. However, Winchester says free floated on their website.

Are the featherweights supposed to be free floated?

QuackAttack

Lil-Rokslider
It passes the dollar bill test…but there is a raised line of wood distinctly made into the forearm where it would be dead center under the barrel, right at the end of the stock. It touches…but only slightly.

No complaints, it’s a 3/4 MOA rifle with Hornady Outfitter…

Ziggy5

FNG
I like (love) mine.

Mine (if I’m doing part) shoot right at MOA. Nice to carry as well.

They are definitely a pretty rifle; imho one of the nicest looking factory rifles.

I have a thread on here where I’m getting mine ready for a Dall sheep hunt next August. I’ve been able to lighten it a bit over factory.
That sounds like a once in a lifetime hunt

Unckebob

WKR
Mine looks great and can shoot no more than 1MOA groups with cheap, factory ammo every time. In fact it shoots so well with that stuff tgat I have never bothered to try to find the "best" factory load or to hand load for it.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
They (Winchester) could definitely lighten the Featherweight- keep the classic wood model, but also offer a lighter version- replace the stock, lighten a few bits and offer it in stainless- the market is clearly there.

Reactions: OMB

bow puller

Lil-Rokslider
Model 70 fw in 7x57 was my first rifle. 12yrs old, too small to carry whatever 243 I had been given on my first deer hunt. Grandpa let me trade him for a new 7x57 fw in the gun rack as we had a family owned gun shop '70-'92. Probably sexiest rifle ever made.

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
I recently handled one in Cabelas the other day chambered in a 6.5 prc and it immediately started talking to me. It sure felt well balanced and it sure was pretty. Although advertised as a featherweight it’s still weights around 7lbs with no scope.

Does anyone have any experience with them? How is the quality and accuracy? How are they to lug around the mountains? How do they compare with other light weight rifles?

Before I looked more serious into the rifle and would like to hear everyone’s input and recommendations. For reference I am also considering a Kimber or Tikka in either the 6.5 prc or the 280 ai. Winchester doesn’t chamber for the 280 ai.

Thanks and looking forward to the comments!
I love my Winchesters! I use the 30-06 featherweight and have no trouble lugging it around. Accuracy is 1.5 to 1 MOA with handloads.

I'm assuming a 22" barrel on the 6.5PRC - would that just make it a 6.5 creed?

OMB

WKR
They (Winchester) could definitely lighten the Featherweight- keep the classic wood model, but also offer a lighter version- replace the stock, lighten a few bits and offer it in stainless- the market is clearly there.
I'd be in for one for sure, considering the state of the factory mountain rifle market right now. If Kimber isn't going to get Montana production going again, a featherweight stainless M70 in the $1000-1300 range could easily step into that void without a ton of reengineering.