Winchester Model 70 Featherweight

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
I recently handled one in Cabelas the other day chambered in a 6.5 prc and it immediately started talking to me. It sure felt well balanced and it sure was pretty. Although advertised as a featherweight it’s still weights around 7lbs with no scope.

Does anyone have any experience with them? How is the quality and accuracy? How are they to lug around the mountains? How do they compare with other light weight rifles?

Before I looked more serious into the rifle and would like to hear everyone’s input and recommendations. For reference I am also considering a Kimber or Tikka in either the 6.5 prc or the 280 ai. Winchester doesn’t chamber for the 280 ai.

Thanks and looking forward to the comments!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like (love) mine.

Mine (if I’m doing part) shoot right at MOA. Nice to carry as well.

They are definitely a pretty rifle; imho one of the nicest looking factory rifles.

I have a thread on here where I’m getting mine ready for a Dall sheep hunt next August. I’ve been able to lighten it a bit over factory.

NE Herd Bull

Lil-Rokslider
Not exactly what you are currently considering, but thought that I would add my recent experience to your conversation.

Around the first of the year, I purchased a Mod 70 Extreme Weather Tungsten in 6.5 PRC
I continue to be impressed with the quality of the build. Manufactured in Portugal, assembled in USA I believe.
Light ! Handles very well. Shoots lights out. Thus far I know that it HATES coyotes! I bet if feels the same for deer.
Has the hallmarks of being a lifelong, everyday rifle.

If the FW is of similar quality, you will be very happy.

Full disclosure though.....I have a soft spot for CRF Mod 70s and their ilk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Great guns, not really light by modern standards but cool rifles for sure. I always wondered why Winchester stopped making the stainless/synthetic version of the rifle, or maybe an extreme weather featherweight.

It’s unfortunate that McMillan stopped making the featherweight stocks too.

handwerk

WKR
I have many M70 featherweights and although I've owned other rifles they always end up down the road in favor of the M70's.
I feel the right balance between weight and shootability is around 8 lbs. scoped and that's where my M70 Fwts. land either in their factory stock or customized and in a nice Mcmillan ,

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
It’s unfortunate that McMillan stopped making the featherweight stocks too.
I was surprised when I found that out. They obviously have the mold already made.

I also found out that very few of the stock makers make stocks for the Featherweight contour. McMillan does with their Hunter Edge, but that’s all I’ve found.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I was surprised when I found that out. They obviously have the mold already made.

I also found out that very few of the stock makers make stocks for the Featherweight contour. McMillan does with their Hunter Edge, but that’s all I’ve found.

Bansner might do it but you’d have to ask them. It’s frustrating because I was literally just about to order a featherweight stick for my extreme weather 30-06 then they stopped.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Banser was a no go when I checked with them about six months ago.

Wildcat looks like they could do it, but still not shipping to the US

LostArra

WKR
My Mod 70 featherweight (.270 Win) is the only big game rifle I've owned since I inherited it in the late 1960's. The only upgrade is the scope.

I don't rifle hunt a lot but it is more than adequate for the occasional elk or hog. I did use it to kill a whitetail buck in the early 80's and that was my last deer hunt with a firearm.

I had the extreme all weather in 300wsm. Never could get it to group. Too light of a barrel contour to really reload for as well. Just got too dang hot. Had it rebarreled and it still wouldn’t shoot like I wanted it too. Sold it. I will admit it looked and felt much nicer than anything else at that price. Just wouldn’t shoot.

Tberg

Lil-Rokslider
Both my model 70s needed bedding. The
factory "bedding" looked no more than hot glue. 270wsm shoots cloverleaf groups with 140gr accubonds. 338 winmag is pretty consistent at 0.5moa depending on my abilities, total bitch to shoot off a bench. Took a lot of development but 225gr accubonds @2950 are big medicine. Both rifles were a little less than 2moa before the bed job. Both are in laminated stocks.

I have four tikkas. 7mag, 223, and a couple 6.5X55s. all the tikkas were far more accurate out of the box, load workup has been easier, and obviously lighter to carry I'd still buy another Winny though, just a fan of the classics.

I switched to the tikkas because the Winchesters were getting beat up and wanted something lighter for coues country. I need to shoot another elk with that 338 though.

Last edited:

ozyclint

WKR
Bought a new CRF featherweight in .270win back in 2002. Just recently had it cerakoted and I refinished the stock. Such a beautiful rifle. As mentioned the barrel heats up very quick so you need plenty of time between shots when doing range work. This is fine since it's a hunting rifle.

NE Herd Bull

Lil-Rokslider
FYI
While researching a different rifle project, I seen that AG Composites has a list of gun builders who can inlet their stocks to several brands of actions...including Winchester.

A Mod 70 bedded in one of those stocks would be a versatile beast for the western hunter!

hmmmm....guess I will have to start another new project

fishbeafraid

Lil-Rokslider
I sure do like the 1988 M70 WINLITE in like new condition I just picked up recently. Now all I need is a bed job and ditch the Vari-X iii 3.5×10 for a Trijicon Credo 3×9 and it's go time for my Idaho mulie hunt!

Keep On

FNG
What's not to like about a controlled round mauser action? My dad is a Winchester guy, and I developed an appreciation as well. I have two featherweights, 243 and 270. The 243 is a classic stainless, one of the last New Haven guns made. It will shoot sub MOA but is picky about what loads it likes.
The 270 is a Portugese/South Carolina gun and honestly has better fit and finish than the New Haven gun. It shoots 1/2 MOA with boring repetition.
They are by no means lightweight in todays world of carbon fiber and skeletonized actions, and they are too pretty to take back country in my opinion, but I do gravitate towards them come deer season.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
I had an M70 Extreme Stainless. It was a nice carrying rifle and extremely accurate. The trigger was good out of the box and needed no changes. The stock was durable and I took some falls with it.

Of the typical rifles you can get, the M70 3-Position safety is the best if you want to carry with a round in the chamber as it disconnects the firing pin from the sear completely and locks the bolt shut (but Blaser's de-cocker bests it). The one thing is that the safety is noisy to take off and you need to kind of grab the wing safety with two fingers and slowly move it forward to prevent a loud click.

The extractor worked well and really tossed the brass when you work the bolt hard as you should. Controlled round vs. push feed doesn't mean much as both are reliable and I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor.

The version I had was US Made not sure how it has changed now that the parts are made overseas.

Tikka rifles are excellent value and incredibly tough. They are simple and work, but the stocks can be a bit cheap and the safety not as good as the M70 (but quieter to disengage).

Last edited:

Ziggy5

FNG
I've been considering a m70 featherweight in 223. Just for range and occasion light duty in the field. They are handsome. If they shoot as well as they look oughtvto be a honey. Trigger is supposed to be very good out of box. Any thoughts?
Phil