Willow air/alaska guide & outfitting service

Bolt

Lil-Rokslider
Just curious if anyone has used willow air/alaska guide & outfitting service and can provide some details of their experience?
Looking to book a hunt with them in 2024 on one of their float trips.

I did a float float hunt with them in 2016 for moose out of mcgrath.. they drop you off and then pick you up. the raft we used was brand new with very old rigging. I would do it again. i did a diy float and they provided the drop off, raft and pick up. They were not alot of help dealing with meat once we hit the ground in mcgrath, but i guess that is not there responsibility. They are crusty old alaskans who do expect you to have some ability in the bush. I can not speak for there guided hunts or there boat hunts, i just did a float trip.

Attachments

• IMG_8324.jpg
    IMG_8324.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 265
It was a long time ago but we did a fixed hunt with them on the Onoko in 2001. We had a group of 4 and had a scanoe and fold a bote. We shot 2 moose and should have had easily 1 other. Back then the hunt was around $4000. We flew out of McGrath. It was a good enough experience that my dad went back the following year but they didn't get a moose. I have nothing bad to report. They did what they said they would do.

Eric3956

FNG
'Im going with Willow Air Sept 21' drop hunt. I was wondering if it is worth buying a bear tag for the trip? Also did anybody have any advice or a cost estimate on getting the meat back to the west coast?

'Im going with Willow Air Sept 21' drop hunt. I was wondering if it is worth buying a bear tag for the trip? Also did anybody have any advice or a cost estimate on getting the meat back to the west coast?
how was your trip? we are planning on a fixed camp with willow in 2024.

traillboy

FNG
Just got back from a hunt with Willow Air. What a disaster. Steve is who we booked with. Earlier this year, he sold to an individual named Trace. We booked a drop hunt with Steve that consisted of 5 miles either direction on the Innoko and 5 miles up the Mud River. We were supposed to have two 14 sleds with 20 HP engines. What we got was two 10 foot inflatable rafts with 3.5HP motors. We could effectively hunt 1.25mi from camp. If we would have gotten a moose, I have no idea how we would have got it back to camp. I don't mind not tagging out as it's hunting. What I can't tolerate is being lied to. I wouldn't allow Trace to outfit shoppers at Wal-Mart with shopping carts.

Just got back from a hunt with Willow Air. What a disaster. Steve is who we booked with. Earlier this year, he sold to an individual named Trace. We booked a drop hunt with Steve that consisted of 5 miles either direction on the Innoko and 5 miles up the Mud River. We were supposed to have two 14 sleds with 20 HP engines. What we got was two 10 foot inflatable rafts with 3.5HP motors. We could effectively hunt 1.25mi from camp. If we would have gotten a moose, I have no idea how we would have got it back to camp. I don't mind not tagging out as it's hunting. What I can't tolerate is being lied to. I wouldn't allow Trace to outfit shoppers at Wal-Mart with shopping carts.
Trailboy - sounds like you had quite the opposite experience then us. We harvested 4 large moose with 4 hunters this season. The weather was aweful but the moose hunting was off the charts amazing!. Like you, we had planned for an upgraded boat and motor and was explained to us that once the business was sold that the boats and upgraded motors were not included in the sale of the business - more specifically: Steve did not sell the boat and motors to Trace (that was in our contract). None the less - we did just fine with the set up and would strongly recommend hunting with Willow Air. Sorry to hear you had such the opposite experience. We booked again in 2026.

Zhive245

FNG
Trailboy - sounds like you had quite the opposite experience then us. We harvested 4 large moose with 4 hunters this season. The weather was aweful but the moose hunting was off the charts amazing!. Like you, we had planned for an upgraded boat and motor and was explained to us that once the business was sold that the boats and upgraded motors were not included in the sale of the business - more specifically: Steve did not sell the boat and motors to Trace (that was in our contract). None the less - we did just fine with the set up and would strongly recommend hunting with Willow Air. Sorry to hear you had such the opposite experience. We booked again in 2026.
Azimuth360, I am heading out there with my dad in September 2023 with willow air. Can I chat more with you about this hunt?

Ryan7839

FNG
Azimuth360, I am heading out there with my dad in September 2023 with willow air. Can I chat more with you about this hunt?
Zhive245, my buddy and I are headed to hunt with Willow this September also. Shoot me a PM. We are looking for a few more guys to split the charter to/from Anchorage!

Zhive245

FNG
Zhive245, my buddy and I are headed to hunt with Willow this September also. Shoot me a PM. We are looking for a few more guys to split the charter to/from Anchorage!
We already bought our tickets with Reeve for 9/8 and 9/21 or else I would. The charters are 3200 each way. fairly steep.

Jkr61

FNG
Zhive if you tap on his name you’ll see azimuth only made one comment and hasn’t logged back to the forum since 10 days after he posted that comment

traillboy

FNG
I would say if you were in the second group out 9/15-9/25 you probably did well. The bulls were finally beginning to get interested in calls. We were the first 10 days of September. Without the boats and engines promised, we couldn’t cover ground to try to find a bull more interested. It was beautiful country and there are definitely moose there. I was displeased with Willow for not honoring our agreement. Not only that, when called out on the discrepancy Trace acted like we were being ridiculous. Every group there (10 total) pretty much wanted to string him up when we got out of the bush.

birwin

FNG

birwin

FNG
I'm scheduled to go with Willow Air in September 5-15th 2024. If you have any suggestions, gear lists, ways to get the gear up there, etc., I'd appreciate the advice. I'm moose hunted in BC and was successful but I do know that Alaska can be a whole different experience. Any suggestions, opinions, or advice would be much appreciated. I booked my hunt right when they were being sold so I'm a little nervous.

camejas

FNG
Ryan7839, we have 3 guys flying in to Mcgrath in early Sep and willing to split charter. If you are still looking, PM me please.
Ryan7839, we have 3 guys looking to link up for a charter into Mcgrath in early Sep. If you are still looking, please PM me.

We are booked for 2024 as well, I’ve ta
I'm scheduled to go with Willow Air in September 5-15th 2024. If you have any suggestions, gear lists, ways to get the gear up there, etc., I'd appreciate the advice. I'm moose hunted in BC and was successful but I do know that Alaska can be a whole different experience. Any suggestions, opinions, or advice would be much appreciated. I booked my hunt right when they were being sold so I'm a little nervous.
We are booked for 9/9-19 2024 as well, 2 guys fixed camp. talked to a few people that were very pleased w/ the service in 2022.

traillboy

FNG
Hey birwin. My post above shreds Trace for really one solid reason. We were lied to. We were promised 16’ boats with 25 HP outboards. You are more than likely going to be there prior to the bulls being really amped. In my experience you have to cover ground and have multiple call sights to increase your odds early rut. We were given 10’ zodiacs with 3.5 HP motors. We couldn’t cover ground. So, my advice to you is to make sure you know exactly what you’re getting. The zodiacs would be fine with 10 or 15 HP’s. Ideally though the 16’ aluminums as the Anoko with heavy rain can get sketch. Good luck.