Will you kill an elk anywhere?

I think it's good for everyone to kill one in a rough area. Builds good character and grit. I remember on my first Colorado elk hunt my buddy and I doubled up on elk in a really nasty spot. Didn't even think about getting it out, just were in the moment. I think about those things now. You only need a experience like that once. Or twice if you're stubborn and or like pain.

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
One if my dad's friends told me when I was a teenager "worry about killing them first, then figure out how to get them out". I've lived by those words and has treated me very well so far. One my biggest regrets when I was younger was hearing a bull bugle deep/or far down and not trying to capitalize on that situation, or just lacking the confidence to go in one more canyon deeper.

Last edited:

jayhawk

WKR
Everytime I’ve killed an elk, I decide to change my ways and take up chipmunk hunting. They’re waaaaay easier to pack out

Fetty Wapiti

Lil-Rokslider
We have a hard 3 mile rule for elk, especially early season. If he is big enough like 370" plus... may consider further. I just can't bring myself to let an elk get wasted by high Temps and grizzlies. If it is out more the 48 hours around here it is either tainted due to Temps or a bear got it.

Marble

WKR
I dont let common sense get on the way of killing an elk.

I never say no...

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

sambo3006

FNG
Of the five elk I've killed, I've only had to embrace the suck once, on my first elk. It was a really big cow really far downhill and a couple of miles from the road. I was so excited to kill an elk. Then I looked at where she fell and how big she was compared to a deer. I thought to myself "what have I just done?" A full day and 10 miles later I found out. 😁
I wouldn't change a thing about that experience. I live in Missouri and that was my first time hunting in the mountains.
My other elk have been shorter pack outs, but just far enough to make the mountain hunting experience fun. There's something very satisfying about reaching the end of the hike and taking that last pack full of elk meat off of your back.
To answer the original question, there are definitely areas I wouldn't shoot an elk, especially a cow or a small bull. If I should ever have the opportunity to shoot a bull larger than my best bull (he's 320"), I would definitely embrace the suck again.

I think most of us have, i know i have been in places where I'm glad i didnt kill one. Heck, it seems like everytime i do kill one i have to ask myself why i do this chit. Then i recuperate and have another great memory.

Last edited:
It's always been my thought that I'd rather bust my tail packing out a sure thing than bust my tail hunting for several more days hoping to get another opportunity. I won't risk losing an animal, but I also won't let the thought of a mountain of work stop me from taking an opportunity, because I know they're few and far between.

I have had a few that I got cliffed out with my horses and had to backpack the quarters to them. Then ride out 5-6 miles to the truck.

I have a spot or two that puts you on a bench with a 50 ft cliff. I have to mark the access on my gps to get off of it. I'm sure there are other access points but I haven't found them yet.

I'm prone to find and understand the elk, then work out the logistics for access and retrieval. That's tough to do with seasonal visits but over time the elk show me how to get there and I cut out the trails to make life easier for both of us. Sometimes it takes 3-4 years to build the trail systems plus annual maintenance.

Phaseolus

WKR
I’ve unloaded my rifle a couple of times, “I guess I’m here so I’ll look around but I’m not killing one”.

t_carlson

WKR
I figured out a while ago that if you want to consistently notch tags, you have to shoot first and worry about the rest later. I'd pass on elk in "bad spots" just to spend a good portion of the next several days trying to get another shot in an "easier" place. Sometimes, I'd run out of season before I found another elk to kill.

If I'd have just sucked it up and pulled the trigger when the opportunity presented, I'd have spent a few rough days packing and then been able to sleep in (or hunt other species) the rest of the season.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
There was a time I never thought about it and knew I had the strength of youth to get them out wherever. Now 60 is on the door step and knee replacement pending with other body parts having fun related issues. yes I have to think about it but also have a long list of able young bodies to call ready to assist when the old man sees one he wants to shoot. mountain hunting is easy when your young, then as the decades stack up you better prepare yourself year around. Good luck…my mountain goat bull a decade ago he will go on the wall this year with cape from last years bull and it gives me motivation for the next 6pt👊 Good luck to young and old this fall. You only get so many elk seasons and rest assured there are many long time elk hunters that want more, but the body says oh yeah, sad reality of getting old.

Attachments

• 466E4475-7679-4766-B1A3-4B54D797EF58.jpeg
    466E4475-7679-4766-B1A3-4B54D797EF58.jpeg
    450.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 7D7754C6-3810-4710-9727-8F37A751B6DB.jpeg
    7D7754C6-3810-4710-9727-8F37A751B6DB.jpeg
    456.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 323CAECF-25D8-4DAD-9615-6E39F80F5BB3.jpeg
    323CAECF-25D8-4DAD-9615-6E39F80F5BB3.jpeg
    439.2 KB · Views: 72
  • DB276BD5-F9BF-4FF9-8A6B-9FE83E068663.jpeg
    DB276BD5-F9BF-4FF9-8A6B-9FE83E068663.jpeg
    458.6 KB · Views: 71
The one thing we all should be thinking about is “can I get ALL the meat out without spoilage”? If the answer is yes, then by all means, kill it! If you have to hesitate to answer that question, then don’t do it! Mine is coming from a solo perspective for the most part and temps play a big part in that decision. Surprising how many won’t kill a cow deep for dreading the pack out but a bull on the other hand seem to find another gear for the long hard pack outs.

Last edited:

WBrim

WKR
I feel like I would kill it and then sort out the rest. The limited pack out experiences I have don’t make me dread them.

Elk97

WKR
At 72 you bet I think about the pack out, it's going to take me a lot longer now. I've found that there are plenty of elk within a mile or two of the truck, and mostly uphill from the road to hunt so that's where I concentrate. My sons don't think I should be solo hunting any more, "what are you going to do if you get one?". I think to myself, I've been butchering animals since before you were born, I'll get it done.

This is a great question. Reading Elk97's post brings a lot of memories. I start hunting public land elk with archery every September and end usually with a private land cow elk tag each November. I'm not quite as young as Elk97 but very close. I still can't shake my need to see what's on the "other" side or over the next ridge.

Every September I see at least one elk that I have to let walk by. It's usually around 10am and it got pushed by other hunters on their way back out for their breakfast. Other times the bull is hot on the trail of a hot cow. My brain tries to instantly calculate how far that bull might go if I get a very clean & perfect bow shot. If it will drop in the sun or where the sun will be baking the animal in 2 hours I have to pass. I know that even in my younger days I couldn't outrace the sun. I have had these experiences a mile or two from the truck to 8-9 miles into steep terrain.

My decision gets reinforced every fall when I come upon other hunters of all ages with an animal down and having no godly idea how they are going to get the meat out. Seems they have watched so many YouTube videos that all they think about is getting "that shot". Add the fact that many have never seen an elk up that close to understand their size when all they've ever hunted are whitetails. To say they're shocked is an understatement. I am always glad to help and have had to show far to many "hunters" how to field dress their animal. Whether opening the gut and quartering or using the gutless method and boning out the meat. Don't even get me started on the little packs they wear full of hydration bladders and snacks but no game bags. But, we all have to start somewhere.

I absolutely love seeing elk and try every day to get close enough to see them blink. Keeps me going the rest of the year when hunting season is over. I guess I would kill an elk anywhere as long as I knew I could respect the animal and get the meat out. Over 35 years of elk hunting I have stumbled upon elk remains which had only the head removed. Only 3 times but it was truly heart breaking.

MThuntr

WKR
I ended up in the bottom of a hell hole with an elk down. I cashed in a lot of favors getting help. If weather conditions were right so I didn't have to worry about either meat spoilage or snow hindering access I'd probably do it again to remind myself that I'm an idiot but things need to be perfect and the elk better be big.

BigE

Lil-Rokslider
Main thing down here in AZ is temperatures and spoilage. There are some tough hikes and climbs and hell holes in AZ but if you can make an ethical shot and get it out quickly, go for it and deal with the consequences and pain. Multiple trips packing out over a day or more is unlikely to be an option here.