Will Vehicle Prices Ever Decrease?

Had to take my truck to dealership today for service, extended warranty so it's all covered. The had a truck exactly like mine F250 Tremor 7.3 Lariat BAP, same color, same options, except mine has the winch from the factory...The sticker was 13k more than the sticker on my truck...nope they aren't going back down..

Stalker69

WKR
No they ain't coming down. The only way would be if our economy tanks, and then they will still be expensive " comparatively ".

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
Well I’m done. I bought an 06, 5.9 Cummins with 112k on it, one owner. He used it to tow his camper. 65 yr old, retired. Has every service record and maintenance record since 06.

I was putting injectors in a tractor for him and I told him I sold a few of my Cummins and gunna buy a tundra. Got to talking and he had this in the house garage. Guys can call me stupid or whatever they want. I paid 23k cash. Is that a lot for an 18 yr old truck? Sure. Is it cheaper then 70-100 for a new one? You bet, way more reliable as well. Can literally eat off the frame and top of the engine.Keeping this one forever.

IMG_3821.jpegIMG_3814.jpegIMG_3823.jpeg

Nockdown

FNG
If you are in UT, look at surrounding states. They are a little cheaper. I saved ~2500 flying down to AZ and buying one.

I saved at least 6k going to UT for a GMC compared to pretty much anywhere within reasonable distance for driving home. Weird how it can fluctuate so much state to state for different makes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bowhuntercoop, I got the same exact truck, color and all. Mine is a 2003 with currently 111,000 on it with the HO 5.9 diesel with 305hp/555 ft lbs torque. I bought it from my uncle who also garaged it and only used it to tow a 28' camper trailer. I bought it from him 5 years ago for 15K with 101,000 on it. He was 75 then and couldnt get in it anymore. It does sit pretty high from the factory and im running 35" 315's on it. Still like brand new and zero rust anywhere and just an awesome truck. You did not over-pay with 23K...these trucks could easily get 30K in todays market. Everyone is sick of the emissions on the newer diesels. I just got a new 2024 F450 diesel crew cab 8' box 4x4 about 2 weeks ago and its a monster of a truck and paid very close to 100K but i still love driving that Dodge! There is just something romantic about those 5.9 Cummins powered Dodge Rams.

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
bowhuntercoop, I got the same exact truck, color and all. Mine is a 2003 with currently 111,000 on it with the HO 5.9 diesel with 305hp/555 ft lbs torque. I bought it from my uncle who also garaged it and only used it to tow a 28' camper trailer. I bought it from him 5 years ago for 15K with 101,000 on it. He was 75 then and couldnt get in it anymore. It does sit pretty high from the factory and im running 35" 315's on it. Still like brand new and zero rust anywhere and just an awesome truck. You did not over-pay with 23K...these trucks could easily get 30K in todays market. Everyone is sick of the emissions on the newer diesels. I just got a new 2024 F450 diesel crew cab 8' box 4x4 about 2 weeks ago and its a monster of a truck and paid very close to 100K but i still love driving that Dodge! There is just something romantic about those 5.9 Cummins powered Dodge Rams.
Ya I’m a diesel mechanic by trade. Won’t touch a truck with emissions stuff, have had a couple deleted trucks and I still didn’t like them compared to the 5.9. I sold my 07 5.9, 6 speed a few years ago and regretted it. I’m happy now to say the least haha. These trucks are amazing when you take care of them and are very easy to maintain and work on.

As long as people are willing to pay what they are asking the prices will not come down.

Until people stop paying their stupid inflated prices and vehicles start sitting on lots, why would they drop their prices?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
absolutely. the dealers must often think, " how can people be so friggin set on screwing themselves, and then complain about high prices? Stupid American public that's how!! LOL

CorbLand

WKR
Ya I’m a diesel mechanic by trade. Won’t touch a truck with emissions stuff, have had a couple deleted trucks and I still didn’t like them compared to the 5.9. I sold my 07 5.9, 6 speed a few years ago and regretted it. I’m happy now to say the least haha. These trucks are amazing when you take care of them and are very easy to maintain and work on.
I don’t think you will be lacking in work for the next 10-20 years. Going to be a lot of people rebuilding pre emission diesels.

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
I'm wondering if now is the best possible to buy a vehicle. Prices are crazy, but will they get worse? Will they ever come down?

Based on the fattened pig mentality, dealerships are getting used to fetching premiums for vehicles and will probably do everything in their power to keep prices high and stay fat and happy.

• Vehicles I looked at purchasing 6 years ago are selling for more now than they were back then.
• 20 years ago a Z71 pickup was ~$22k new, now they are three times that.

What do you think? Get in now before it continues to climb or keep driving the beater and crossing fingers that things get better?
I think the rate of inflation will slow, but deflation in car prices is highly unlikely. If that happened, something horrible "black swan" would have happened to the economy.

maxx075

Lil-Rokslider
Well to update - I was successful. Actually ended up a little below MSRP too on an Off Road trim, so I'm happy with the deal.

Attachments

• 72324.jpeg
    72324.jpeg
    505 KB · Views: 72

180ls1

WKR
New Tacomas aren't a bad deal at all. My buddy picked one up for roughly 20% more than the lower mile used ones were going for, it was a no brainer at that point.

maxx075

Lil-Rokslider
New Tacomas aren't a bad deal at all. My buddy picked one up for roughly 20% more than the lower mile used ones were going for, it was a no brainer at that point.
Yea I had been looking at the 23s, but for like 2-3k more you can have a brand new 24.

*zap*

WKR
I just purchased 2 trucks from a city 300 miles away @ auction online. Hope they are not dogs. The marketplace prices were nuts.
I also found a 2002 chevy cavalier thru a buddy for $1500.
20240418_202038.jpg

No issues but a basic vehicle, 32 mpg hwy.

Last edited:

Broomd

WKR
Yea I had been looking at the 23s, but for like 2-3k more you can have a brand new 24.
Many guys are wanting to stay away from the 24's I-4 turbo at this point. It's a new model/engine and will have issues.
We were going to get my wife into a newish Lexus Rx 350, but bought one a few years old.
The older '16-'21 3.5 V6 is pure silk, the new Rx shares the Taco's new I-4 turbo. More engine heat, more engine strain. No thanks for now.

Unfortunate that they are going this direction, it's the by-product of the green lunacy.

CorbLand

WKR
Well to update - I was successful. Actually ended up a little below MSRP too on an Off Road trim, so I'm happy with the deal.
Sweet. Keep us updated on how you like it. I am interested to see if Toyota can do better with turbos than Ford.

Axle

FNG
I just purchased 2 trucks from a city 300 miles away @ auction online. Hope they are not dogs. The marketplace prices were nuts.
I also found a 2002 chevy cavalier thru a buddy for $1500.
View attachment 702794

No issues but a basic vehicle, 32 mpg hwy.
was this a vehicle auction? I have been looking for a different family vehicle for a while and prices have been crazy. I’d say they are flattening out or coming down slightly in my area (depending on make/model).

I have seen some good deals on marketplace lately, but they always seem to be 1 or 2 states away and sell fast.

2531usmc

WKR
I think the rate of inflation will slow, but deflation in car prices is highly unlikely. If that happened, something horrible "black swan" would have happened to the economy.
But what’s going to happen is that people will downsize their automobiles. Ford Mavericks instead of F150/250. Corolla or Camry instead of Yukons one Denalis.

It’s not going to be just the vehicle cost driving this, but insurance, interest rates, and fuel prices

Well I’m done. I bought an 06, 5.9 Cummins with 112k on it, one owner. He used it to tow his camper. 65 yr old, retired. Has every service record and maintenance record since 06.

I was putting injectors in a tractor for him and I told him I sold a few of my Cummins and gunna buy a tundra. Got to talking and he had this in the house garage. Guys can call me stupid or whatever they want. I paid 23k cash. Is that a lot for an 18 yr old truck? Sure. Is it cheaper then 70-100 for a new one? You bet, way more reliable as well. Can literally eat off the frame and top of the engine.Keeping this one forever.

View attachment 702142View attachment 702143View attachment 702144
That's a real beut Clark!