Will Tikka CTR 223 mags work with 204 ruger ammo?

carbon

FNG
Like the title says. I haven't found an answer on this one. What got me thinking along these lines is I do know a 223 Accurate Mag AICS magazine works with 204 ruger ammo in a Rem 700.

But as I also have a Tikka 204 in a factory wood stock, I was thinking of converting it to CTR so I can have a ten-shot mag plus CTR mags are nice and short. I have a CTR bottom metal and I'd have to mill the stock a bit to make it fit.

I know I could simply buy a chassis that works with AICS or CTR mags, but humor me. I'd like to keep the stock.

Edit: the regular non-CTR mags in 223 work with the 204 round. So, I would think the 223 CTR mags would follow suit. But I just wanted to check. If no one knows I'll call Beretta.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
The ctr stock has a larger inlet than a lite, you can’t simply swap to a ctr bottom metal.

Your best bet would be to find a ctr stock and bottom metal.

Honestly I’d go with a bravo and aics mags and get a better and adjustable stock and not have to deal with ctr mags.

OP
carbon

carbon

FNG
The ctr stock has a larger inlet than a lite, you can’t simply swap to a ctr bottom metal.

Your best bet would be to find a ctr stock and bottom metal.

Honestly I’d go with a bravo and aics mags and get a better and adjustable stock and not have to deal with ctr mags.

Yeah, I already understand that. I like double stack mags like the CTR. I have a secondhand CTR bottom metal laying around. And as far as I know, there are no regular Tikka 10rd mags.
I have a CTR bottom metal and I'd have to mill the stock a bit to make it fit.

I know I could simply buy a chassis that works with AICS or CTR mags, but humor me. I'd like to keep the stock.

Lawnboi

WKR
Yeah, I already understand that. I like double stack mags like the CTR. I have a secondhand CTR bottom metal laying around. And as far as I know, there are no regular Tikka 10rd mags.
Waters rifleman out of Australia. They are great mags but expensive. Another option. I have a 6 and 10 round 223 and need more. They fit the standard bottom metal. Got them for popping prairie dogs.

OP
carbon

carbon

FNG
Ok fellas, I finally bought a new CTR mag to test some things before I get my stock milled out for CTR bottom metal.

Question #1​

Is it a good idea to load .223 CTR mags by pressing round straight down, like AR or AW/AX mags? I tried it, it works, but I just wanted to know if it’s a bad idea. It’s not a typical double-stack mag.

Question #2​

Is my CTR mag out of spec?

It appears loading only about 7 rounds max of 204 will work. After about 7 in the CTR mag, the rounds start sticking up with the rear of the 10th round barely contained by the feed lips.

Note that this happened BEFORE I tried loading .223/.204 rounds straight down into the mag, so it isn’t due to me bending anything.

I was going to use my MPA feed lip bender tool to narrow the lips, but the metal+plastic CTR feed lips are too thick for the tool.

.223 rounds appear to present normally at the top of the mag.

Keep in mind I can’t yet test this in a Tikka as I haven’t yet gotten the factory stock milled out for a CTR bottom metal.

Kimmo H

FNG
The mag shouldn't be loaded by pressing rounds down in it. Slide them in from the front like your regular single stack mags. The ctr mag only feeds from the middle like a single stack, so it isn't supposed to be loaded like an AR mag for example. It just stores the rounds in two rows inside.

The 223 CTR mag has the plastic insert, wich apparently gives you enough flex to force rounds in from the top.

As far as the rounds sticking up goes, you can try bending the magazine spring so that it raises the back of the feed ramp more. I fixed my 223 mag by doing that. It took me a couple times to get it just right, but you can adjust it back if you accidentally go a little too far with your tweaking.

Hopefully you'll get your mag working 100%