Wildly inconsistent shots r700 .308

Pdog06

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t put the new scope on another gun to prove it just yet. First Put the old scope back on this gun and shoot the gun again. If the groups tighten up it is either the newer scope or the way you had it mounted. If the groups stay opened up with the original scope(when you say it shot well) then it is obviously something else with the rifle itself and maybe not the new scope. Not really sure how this would happen with just a scope swap though?

OP
J

J.flanagan

Lil-Rokslider
What does the crown look like? (Muzzle) Any gouges or nicks in it? What specific rings/bases are you using? Have you pulled them off to see if they're making shiny marks on your receiver (moving)?

The muzzle looks good as far as I can tell.

Leupod mark 4 base and vortex pro rings. I swapped scopes but I didn't take the mount off. I'll check out the area where the mount touches the chamber.

EVO6

Lil-Rokslider
If you have shot good groups with this gun before and using the same ammo, I’d pull the scope and put the old one back on to verify that the new scope is the issue.
^^^^^ Had the same issue.

Seeknelk

WKR
I just came back from a very disappointing range day. I'm a pretty good shot, not amazing but I can regularly throw down half dollar and quarter size groups at 100yds.

Not today though. I just mounted a trijicon credo. Used Leupod mark 4 mount and rings. I was hoping to zero it in but couldn't get a group smaller than gallon paint can lid. 6 inches or so.

Can I just assume it's the glass or should I mount my old scope and try again? Other than shooter error, what could stop me from making any good groups at 100yds?
Woah,woah let's get some background! Lots of helpful posts here...but first, is this a new rifle or have you shot it before? How did it shoot before if it's not new?