Wildly inconsistent shots r700 .308

J.flanagan

Lil-Rokslider
I just came back from a very disappointing range day. I'm a pretty good shot, not amazing but I can regularly throw down half dollar and quarter size groups at 100yds.

Not today though. I just mounted a trijicon credo. Used Leupod mark 4 mount and rings. I was hoping to zero it in but couldn't get a group smaller than gallon paint can lid. 6 inches or so.

Can I just assume it's the glass or should I mount my old scope and try again? Other than shooter error, what could stop me from making any good groups at 100yds?

OP
J

J.flanagan

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not an expert but that looks a bit rough in my opinion. Is that a problem?

Rob5589

WKR
Did this particular gun shoot quarter sized groups? If so and the only change was scope and rings, that is the obvious culprit. Pull and check torque of base/s, check ring torque before pulling scope.

If it’s been shot a lot and all of a sudden lost accuracy could be a carbon ring. They don’t take long to develop in some circumstances. I’ve had a 243 see your drastic change in groups and a 6.5 Grendel that went from solid .5” up to ugly 1.5-2” groups. 20-30 shots of experimenting loads later I realized I had 350 rounds since the last cleaning and had recently shot 2 different kinds of factory ammo compared to my normal loaded ammo.
Good cleaning, CLR and some JB. First 3 post cleaning shots were right back to what I expect based on 1000 prior rounds or so.

I’ll be highly criticized for suggesting cleaning but my experiences have shown me that some rifle/cartridge/load combos cannot be shot forever without cleaning

ElPollo

WKR
Man, if not cleaning my smokeless firearms would result in 6” groups, then all my rifles should pattern like a goose gun. I would recheck your scope mounts and action bolts first. Then I would try switching scopes. 6” makes it sound like something is loose.

Did you disassemble the action from the stock? If the mag box is bound up or your actions screws are out of spec it could cause this.

OP
J

J.flanagan

Lil-Rokslider
Did you disassemble the action from the stock? If the mag box is bound up or your actions screws are out of spec it could cause this.
I did remove the barrel and action from the stock. Hand torqued it back on but that's because I didn't know how many inch lbs. Any recommendations for torque specs for those?

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
55-65 in-lbs for aluminum pillars/chassis/bedding blocks. The 5R Remingtons have a tremendous reputation for accuracy, so I'd lean towards user error at first. Torque it to spec with the action sitting in the stock, and stock upright with buttpad on the floor to make sure gravity is helping you keep the lug flush against the bedding block. Like others said, make sure that the mag box is installed properly and relatively free-floating in there. Last but not least, try a different scope, or re-install the one you got. How's the crown look? What ammo are you shooting? Is the scope proven on other rifles?

I did remove the barrel and action from the stock. Hand torqued it back on but that's because I didn't know how many inch lbs. Any recommendations for torque specs for those?

Likely your action screws or scope/mounts if you pulled it from the action

OP
J

J.flanagan

Lil-Rokslider
55-65 in-lbs for aluminum pillars/chassis/bedding blocks. The 5R Remingtons have a tremendous reputation for accuracy, so I'd lean towards user error at first. Torque it to spec with the action sitting in the stock, and stock upright with buttpad on the floor to make sure gravity is helping you keep the lug flush against the bedding block. Like others said, make sure that the mag box is installed properly and relatively free-floating in there. Last but not least, try a different scope, or re-install the one you got. How's the crown look? What ammo are you shooting? Is the scope proven on other rifles?
I'm unsure what the crown is. I did a brief search and see it can refer to the muzzle. Is that what you're talking about?

I'm using Federal premium gold medal 175gr.

Scope is not proven on another rifle. Will try to test on one of my other long guns next weekend.

I've taken the box off the bottom before and I'm assuming it's going back in properly but if anyone wants to explain that in more detail or send me some examples I would appreciate it.

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
RE: the magazine box. It should be relatively free-floating in the stock. If it can't move, it means that it's binding in there and causes random stress on the action. I've installed it utilizing 2 different methods--one by inserting the mag box in the bottom of the receiver, making sure it's flush, and then carefully placing the barreled action in the stock (vertically, as per my earlier post) and making sure that the box isn't bumped. Then I carefully place the bottom metal in the stock (hinged floorplate open so that the spring and follower don't cause the box to move) and then torque it down. Then I take my finger and wiggle the bottom metal to make sure it's loose. If it's not, then I disassemble and re-assemble the opposite way by putting the mag box in the bottom metal first, and then insert it and make sure that it's not binding against the bottom of the receiver. It's tedious and hard to explain but if you understand the concept of what it's *supposed* to be like, then you'll likely figure it out.

OP
J

J.flanagan

Lil-Rokslider
RE: the magazine box. It should be relatively free-floating in the stock. If it can't move, it means that it's binding in there and causes random stress on the action. I've installed it utilizing 2 different methods--one by inserting the mag box in the bottom of the receiver, making sure it's flush, and then carefully placing the barreled action in the stock (vertically, as per my earlier post) and making sure that the box isn't bumped. Then I carefully place the bottom metal in the stock (hinged floorplate open so that the spring and follower don't cause the box to move) and then torque it down. Then I take my finger and wiggle the bottom metal to make sure it's loose. If it's not, then I disassemble and re-assemble the opposite way by putting the mag box in the bottom metal first, and then insert it and make sure that it's not binding against the bottom of the receiver. It's tedious and hard to explain but if you understand the concept of what it's *supposed* to be like, then you'll likely figure it out.

Well, I know the magazine box is tight. Last time I assembled, and the only time I've assembled, I had trouble getting it to fit. Tried like 10 times and in the end it was tight. I'll look at it again. Thanks

OP
J

J.flanagan

Lil-Rokslider
Swapped scopes with another rifle I have. The issue stayed with the gun. So, I guess that means the scope is good. I put down several 1" groups at 100 yd with the other rifle but couldn't get any smaller than 3" with this one.

I checked the magazine Box and it's not sloppy loose but also not super tight. You can definitely move it around a little bit but it doesn't move by just turning the gun upside down. I'm assuming that's about how tight it should fit in there.

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
What does the crown look like? (Muzzle) Any gouges or nicks in it? What specific rings/bases are you using? Have you pulled them off to see if they're making shiny marks on your receiver (moving)?

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
How did the gun shoot before adding the new scope? Was the scope and rings the only thing you messed with prior to the horrible groups?