Wild sheep show in Reno

slim23

Lil-Rokslider
I am thinking of going to the sheep show in Reno this spring. Never been to anything like it. I am wanting to talk to outfitters and try to start my search for my dall hunt. Also figure the wife might like the getaway. To those that have been what's it like? Nothing but rich snobs? Great time?

Great time and very few rich snobs. Might be some rich guys but you'd never know it until the auction nights. I go every year because I live here and it's a great way to meet outfitters. If you truly want to select one for a hunt I'd suggest narrowing the list down to about 10 then targeting those otherwise you might be wandering aimlessly. I also wouldn't book at the show unless you've checked multiple references before hand. When I booked my Stone hunt last year I went to SCI in Reno with a list of 10 - 12, narrowed it down to about 5 at that show, checked references between then and WSF and then revisited the top 3 at that show and asked some follow up questions based on discussions with the references then let gut feel take over.

Had a good time last year. Met up with Todd, Aron and Travis. Very few rich snobs but make sure you don't pull the trigger until you do your research

Its a good time. I plan on attending this year as well. They're some way good vendors/outfitters going to be there! My girlfriend's mom works for Wild Sheep so if you have any questions feel free to ask me and I can get them answered.

I am looking at a Alaska dall. Just window shopping now. I have a few that I have heard good things about but I'm looking at a 2016 hunt. Going to Kodiak for brown bear this fall then 2 years of saving again. I am a 1% member. It's just a expensive show with evening events costing $100 per person with the wife. That is why I was asking about the western expo

Have not missed one since I went to my first in 2000. Great time. My wife really enjoys it too. You will not be sorry.

I'll be there this (next) year. Pretty much the same type of guys you see at most other shows, just dressed a little nicer. I'd recommend it to anyone.

I'll probably go again... Pretty cool experience I thought. Probably fit in a day of snowboarding as well and make it a weekend. ;)

I go every year to talk to friends and walk around. Never have hooked up with any forum members to meet though.

Last edited:
I like the Sheep Show more and more each year. I generally hit all of the shows in Reno and the Sheep Show is the one that is getting better. Last year I hung around for 3 days there talking to guides and venders and had a great time. The banquets are on the high side but are fun. The best part is the money is going to the right places to enhance our hunting opportunities.
I wouldn't recommend the Ovis Grand Slam convention though. You could see the whole thing in about 10 minutes.
As far as having a problem with snobs, I have never experienced that at SCI or the Sheep Show. Even when most of the people walking around have a hell of a lot more money than I do, I have never felt shunned or looked down upon.

Back