Why the NR HATE?? Let's fix it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirogue

WKR
Seeing all the posts that reference “the state owns the wildlife” can certainly have a different perspective to different folks. How long do they own it for, one week, two or three weeks? Obviously, I’m not talking about 4 legged game. Some of the loudest NR hate, comes from some of the Mississippi Flyway states, complaining about NR coming to their state to shoot “their” ducks, something (regulated more federally than state) just passing through “their” state. Yet, they think reciprocation should be applied, and NR fees jacked up to match elk, mule deer and pronghorn, even though they don’t have all the 4 legged big game.

Funny thing about these arguments, it seems like a lot of the time it's the entitled folks asking the ones they want to take a bigger slice of the pie from to stop being greedy.

My opinion in general - CO and WY are kind of on opposite ends of the spectrum.
- CO is overly generous with NR tag allocation. They give way more than any other western state and have a significant population of their own to support yet NR always have an entitled fit if they discuss cutting back. It would be equitable to give their residents a higher % of tag allocation IMO.
- WY already has the best resident preference arrangement by a large margin compared to other western states. Most of the recent pushes for tag allocation that barely moves the needle for residents but bends over NR that have long been invested in their draws come across as pretty greedy.

Seeing all the posts that reference “the state owns the wildlife” can certainly have a different perspective to different folks. How long do they own it for, one week, two or three weeks? Obviously, I’m not talking about 4 legged game. Some of the loudest NR hate, comes from some of the Mississippi Flyway states, complaining about NR coming to their state to shoot “their” ducks, something (regulated more federally than state) just passing through “their” state. Yet, they think reciprocation should be applied, and NR fees jacked up to match elk, mule deer and pronghorn, even though they don’t have all the 4 legged big game.
I don't know jack about waterfowl but it would seem reasonable that a NR would pay a higher license fee and whatever else goes along with hunting a different state?

Archer86

WKR
Nope, bullshit argument. Let the states pay for the land, the management and they could do whatever they want with it. If recreation isn’t a moneymaker for them. Oh well, don’t provide it..
The way it is now the federal government ie the taxpayers subsidize it, so the state can make money off of recreation.

I say they walked the whole pie, give it to them no problem. let them pay for it.

I have no doubt that the free markets gonna step in in that case, and give people access to the recreation. They’re willing to pay for. Be careful what you wish for you. Just may get it.
Keep dreaming.

There are to many non hunter recreational users that really enjoy the return they get on all the public land. I am actually at this point more concerned about convincing the casual hiker, skier ,general recreational user that hunting is good for the eco system vs trying to work with someone of your mind set. It might be easier.

Funny thing about these arguments, it seems like a lot of the time it's the entitled folks asking the ones they want to take a bigger slice of the pie from to stop being greedy.

My opinion in general - CO and WY are kind of on opposite ends of the spectrum.
- CO is overly generous with NR tag allocation. They give way more than any other western state and have a significant population of their own to support yet NR always have an entitled fit if they discuss cutting back. It would be equitable to give their residents a higher % of tag allocation IMO.
- WY already has the best resident preference arrangement by a large margin compared to other western states. Most of the recent pushes for tag allocation that barely moves the needle for residents but bends over NR that have long been invested in their draws come across as pretty greedy.
Didn't CO reduce some NR tag % by 10% for 2024? If my research is correct about the 10% reduction I'll be right on the edge of having enough NR points or not. If I don't draw I'm not going to throw a fit and I'll keep applying because they offer a hunt that I want to do with family that are residents and I really enjoy it.

Trial153

WKR
Woah....you're mad. My next bullshit argument is people like you are the exact reason that residents don't like non-residents.

Try giving a little respect and not just thinking that your arrogant opinion is the fricken gospel.

Respect? Are your draft?

On any giving day you will say residents saying “ shut up and take what we give you if you don’t like someone else will be happy with the scraps.” Is that respect?

I am giving more respect then most when I say to them keep it all. Just be willing to pay for all.

On any giving day you will say residents saying “ shut up and take what we give you if you don’t like someone else will be happy with the scraps.” Is that respect?
That may be your interpretation of what is being presented, but it's not mine. No state is giving anybody tags, they're offering them for sale either OTC or through a drawing. If you don't like the tag numbers, points required, quality of game or price then don't apply.

Which state game dept is going bankrupt because NR won't pay?

Its more like what state game departments could stay open off only Resident application and tag fees only. Or not have to merge with parks and start looking of other non-hunting related revenue streams like parking passes and usage fees, which degrades the hunting voice at the table.

sndmn11

"DADDY"
Didn't CO reduce some NR tag % by 10% for 2024? If my research is correct about the 10% reduction I'll be right on the edge of having enough NR points or not. If I don't draw I'm not going to throw a fit and I'll keep applying because they offer a hunt that I want to do with family that are residents and I really enjoy it.
It depended on what the number of points a resident needed in order to draw it, but, yes, for low points stuff the allocation changed.

TVW

Lil-Rokslider
Respect? Are your draft?

I am giving more respect then most when I say to them keep it all. Just be willing to pay for all.

No, what you're doing is talking down to anyone who disagrees with you and saying their opinion is bullshit.

You are not open at all to any view but your own.

What makes you right and everyone else wrong? Just the fact your an arrogant New Yorker? No wonder the rest of the country thinks people from your state are assholes.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Are your draft?" either.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone have real data on the Western states allocations as they stand now- resident v nonresident?

Would be very curious to see state by state what the current allocation is in big game tags.

Montana is (it fluctuates a little every year) at ~ 85:15% R:NR

Its more like what state game departments could stay open off only Resident application and tag fees only. Or not have to merge with parks and start looking of other non-hunting related revenue streams like parking passes and usage fees, which degrades the hunting voice at the table.
I see your point, my oversimplified point was that the NR $$$ isn't going away any time soon. The demand vastly outweighs the supply and people are spending more on hunting than ever before.

pirogue

WKR
I don't know jack about waterfowl but it would seem reasonable that a NR would pay a higher license fee and whatever else goes along with hunting a different state?
Agreed, and mere said it shouldn’t. The point was reciprocation should be based on many factors.

Anyone have real data on the Western states allocations as they stand now- resident v nonresident?

Would be very curious to see state by state what the current allocation is in big game tags.

Montana is (it fluctuates a little every year) at ~ 85:15% R:NR
Idaho General:
Nonresident hunters in most general season elk and deer hunts are limited to 10 or 15 percent of the total hunters in each elk zone or deer unit based on hunter participation estimates averaged over the five years prior to 2021.
Idaho Controlled:
Nonresidents are eligible for up to 10 percent of the tags in each controlled hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.