Why so many fat steel barrels and so few sporters?

I personally love the thick barrels, call me a size queen.

I don’t know if you looked at proofs steel barrels, but I know they have a tikka sporter contour that seems to always be in stock
Still? I haven't seen any light proof steel contours in a long time. Didn't think they made me anymore.
That’s where I was looking. Just not much in 6mm.
Last i was looking at was 6.5s. Guess it makes sense that there are more 6.5 sporter contours if a lot of hunters are looking for 6.5 and bigger bore diameters.

Last edited:
OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Patriot Valley Arms has their Osprey Barrel Works barrels and have a bunch of contours to choose from. Fairly quick turnaround
Are they any good? I know and am comfortable with the big brand names: Bartlein, Benchmark, Brux, Kreiger LIlja, etc., but there seem to be some boutique names out there possibly worth a look.

Last edited:

Showing Ace #3 sporters (close to Bartlein 3b IIRC) in stock with 7 or 7.5 twist. Might want call and ask them if it's actually in stock though since UM struggles with what "In Stock" means.

• Haha
Reactions: NSI
Are they any good? I know and am comfortable with the big brand names: Bartlein, Benchmark, Brux, Kreiger LIlja, etc., but there seem to be some boutique names out there possibly worth a look.
They shoot better than I can. There are a bunch of people on here and Snipers Hide with them. Pretty sure Josh (PVA) was tired of long delay times from barrel manufacturers which slows his builds down so he acquired the equipment to make his own. Fairly certain he started with 6mm barrels only then got so many requests for other calibers.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR

Showing Ace #3 sporters (close to Bartlein 3b IIRC) in stock with 7 or 7.5 twist. Might want call and ask them if it's actually in stock though since UM struggles with what "In Stock" means.
Uggh, yeah, I’m aware.

Lawnboi

WKR
I’ll be buying a blank from them for an 6dasher hunting gun and have multiple prefits on osprey barrels.

My most accurate barrel I have owned is an osprey 6 creed.

SouthPaw

WKR
I’ll be buying a blank from them for an 6dasher hunting gun and have multiple prefits on osprey barrels.

My most accurate barrel I have owned is an osprey 6 creed.
My 2025 hunting barrel is an Osprey 6creed for Tikka, got it during the 4th sale. Looking forward to trying a PVA.