Why NOT a Tikka?

TraskI

Lil-Rokslider
If you decide to get into long range shooting the twist rate will really hinder using heavy for caliber bullets which provide better BC's. Definitely a negative for shooting out past 400-500 yards or so.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

SDHNTR

WKR
Why wont it be as good? I see people posting groups from their Tikka just as good as people report from a custom. Its a rifle not a sports car. You pull the trigger and it goes boom. If someone is shooting a similar group from a TIkka as from a custom how is it not just as good?
A Mercedes and a Honda Civic both get you from point A to point B. How is it not just as good? Same argument.

It not just about the end result. Some people care about the fit and finish and feel of things. People like different stuff. Some like nice. Some don’t care as long as it works. Different strokes. It’s what makes the world go round.

For many years I considered them a lower tier, entry level rifle, so while I set a few up for friends and neighbors, I never bought any for myself. I can say now that I was way wong to not be using them. After reading about the Canadian Ranger rifle trials, I decided to give a few a try, and I can report that I have had nothing but great experiences with them. (You can do a search and read about the Canadian Ranger testing and selection process, but the short version is that a lot of bolt action designs were tested for functionality and accuracy in the harshest conditions they could muster. Tikka came out ahead by a comfortable margin. There's a lot of conjecture and blow hardery out there in regards to who makes the toughest, most reliable bolt action, but the Tikka can substantiate the claim with empirical data.)

As stated, they are usually very accurate and consistent, and most will cut tiny groups with several varieties of factory fodder.

About the only things I'd change on them would be the limited action length for long calibers/high BC bullets and, by extension, the factory twist rates. Of course, there's cheap enough work arounds for both.

You can add a $600 stock and $150 bottom metal and have a damn accurate rifle that fits and feels exactly how you'd like it to for $1500. If you'd like it twisted and throated different from OEM options, you can throw another $5-600 at it and have a very rugged and exceedingly accurate rig for right around $2k, which I think is still a comparative bargain.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
A Mercedes and a Honda Civic both get you from point A to point B. How is it not just as good? Same argument.

It not just about the end result. Some people care about the fit and finish and feel of things. People like different stuff. Some like nice. Some don’t care as long as it works. Different strokes. It’s what makes the world go round.
'As long as it works"

A Tikka will out WORK any 700 clones because of the trigger. I've had issues with Jewells, Timney, and Trigger Techs in 700 clones. I still use 700 clones because I love big 30 cals. If Tikka ever made a real long action, I would be done with 700 clones.

SouthPaw

WKR
I've owned rem700s, clones, brownings, and slowly but surely my arsenal is being converted over to Tikkas. They just work, no fuss, no issues. Action feels like ball bearings and in mud, freeze, grit they shoot reliably. I appreciate the modularity of the action, and the factory barrels have solid accuracy for hunting purposes. Fantastic trigger.

Replace the stock, add a good scope and mounts on integrated rail, and you have such an easy reliable system.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

'As long as it works"

A Tikka will out WORK any 700 clones because of the trigger. I've had issues with Jewells, Timney, and Trigger Techs in 700 clones. I still use 700 clones because I love big 30 cals. If Tikka ever made a real long action, I would be done with 700 clones.

I feel the same in regards to a longer Tikka. I don't always like AICS mags for every application, and it'd be nice to be able to get a flush mag or at least something like the MT billit mag for a 3.6"+ cartridge in a Tikka.

I haven't run into as much trouble with 700 style triggers, but I have had trouble with their extractors, and I would upgrade any 700 build to a Tikka style extractor, anyway

The drop at the comb and drop at the butt is a little different, in addition to the LOP. My wife has a wood stock version and it is comfortable to shoot. Weatherby doesn't make any fluted barrel Vanguards anymore, so her 20" barreled rifle weighs slightly more than my 24" Wilderness due to barrel contour and fluting.

The camilla wilderness should still be 6.5-6.75lbs if it is your cup of tea. The other model of rifle we have in the house is a Tikka T3 and there's no reason you should not get one other than small preferences like a two position safety or action/magazine length quibbles.
The meat eater version are fluted.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
For instance, I am doing load dev on this 300 norma, Defiance action with a Jewell. It has the full-size Hyperion can(great can) I would shoot a group, then lean it against the wall to let the barrel cool. Twenty minutes later, I would put it back on the bench, try to fire another group, press the trigger, and nothing. I work the action, nothing. I do notice that the action is dirty with carbon from the can, I am guessing. So I blow the trigger out with some compressed air, and all be damned, the trigger starts working. This has happened twice now.... I have a suppressor on all three of my Tikkas and have never had that issue with thousands of firings. This is just like the scope drop test, it doesn't matter to you until it happens to you.
IMG_8198.jpg

JFK

WKR
Can’t offer you any good reasons to pass on the Tikka as I don’t own one and I trust they are good rifles, but if you have an opportunity check out the sauer 100 as they about the same price. I picked one up in 270 earlier this year after strongly considering a tikka and I’m really happy with it so far. Incredibly accurate and the trigger is very nice. I have two different loads worked up for it with no drama. Subjectively, the sauer felt like a nicer gun to me. Has real bottom metal and the stock has zero flex. Unlike tikkas though they have basically zero after market if you ever want to change anything out. That’s probably the main downside to them.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I just threw this one together yesterday, it’s a t3x lite stainless 30-06, sportsmatch rings and a 6x SWFA. I put the vertical grip on it and a mountain tactical bolt lug. Hopefully tomorrow I’ll get the rail for my atlas bipod installed. I have a 6.5 creedmoor set up in a very similar way except it has an shv 3-10 on it.

I haven’t been a huge tikka fan in the past but my 6.5 is just stupid accurate. This winter, I’ll send the 30-06 in to get chopped to 18” and threaded for my silencer.

I have some 30-06 rounds loaded up with 190g ABLRs, if they shoot well it will probably go out for the mountain goat opener in SEAK next week.

Attachments

• 85447702-D839-47C2-AD9C-8E25F9003341.jpeg
    85447702-D839-47C2-AD9C-8E25F9003341.jpeg
    221.1 KB · Views: 48
Maybe it's just me but growing up and becoming very familiar with a 700 platform, I hate the damn magazines. I myself have accidently hit the mag release in the field, and a few years later out in the middle of absolute no where in the mountains I looked down and found a Tikka mag lost by someone else.

There is no arguing they shoot tight, but the one I own has the mag release filed down to a little nub

Last edited:
Maybe it's just me but growing up and becoming very familiar with a 700 platform, I hate the damn magazines. I myself have accidently hit the mag release in the field, and a few years later out in the middle of absolute no where in the mountains I looked down and found a Tikka mag lost by someone else.

There is no arguing they shoot tight, but the one I own has the mag release filed down to a little nub
Can I get my mag and 3 rounds back?

KU_Geo

WKR
Only reason I can see not to get a tikka is that you can’t currently get an gunwerks clymr stock of allterra stock inlet for them. I love tikka actions that that’s probably the only downfall I see with them

Sounds like a popular hunting spot.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
IF YOU DON'T LIKE TIKKA THEN F-ah just kiddin. The only reason not to buy a Tikka is if you don't plan on changing anything and there's another rifle within your budget that has a feature you prefer. Like the Browning Hell's Canyon for example, lots of happy owners, shoot well, come cerakoted. But look for an aftermarket stock, or rebarreling. There's a reason for every fan base, just depends on if it has what you're lookin for or not.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE TIKKA THEN F-ah just kiddin. The only reason not to buy a Tikka is if you don't plan on changing anything and there's another rifle within your budget that has a feature you prefer. Like the Browning Hell's Canyon for example, lots of happy owners, shoot well, come cerakoted. But look for an aftermarket stock, or rebarreling. There's a reason for every fan base, just depends on if it has what you're lookin for or not.
Could you give a mini-rundown on the reasons people would be in one camp vs the other?