why no Colo first rifle season for muley?

To reward archers that have it hard to begin with in their skill set IS MY GUESS. Less people anyways. WY does archery first too in many areas before starting rifle in those areas (elk/mule deer).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ddubs20

FNG
I think its just to give the first season elk hunters a better chance. Personally I always hunt first rifle because there are far less hunters out there, and if you hear shooting you know its elk. That being said, 5 day seasons can be tough sometimes

I just heard on the CPW Commish meeting they’re going to workshop a first rifle deer season statewide and maybe cut back more on 3rds and 4ths because of the backlash of hunting em during Thanksgiving.
Geeze... those bucks already can't catch a break! I think it might be easier to kill them above timberline with a rifle than in the rut and timber.

By mid October the deer are not usually still up in the high alpine above treeline where they would be most vulnerable to rifle hunters. Those existing limited early rifle seasons for deer in Colorado are in September when more are still up in that open high alpine terrain. If Wildlife Division opens a first rifle season for deer that mirrors the existing first rifle dates for Elk, the bucks aren't going to be much more vulnerable than they are during 2nd season. It will probably actually be a tough hunt since they won't be high and it's way too early for any rut activity. If anything, the Elk have been the ones that are vulnerable during first season due to still being somewhat call receptive to people carrying rifles.

By mid October the deer are not usually still up in the high alpine above treeline where they would be most vulnerable to rifle hunters. Those existing limited early rifle seasons for deer in Colorado are in September when more are still up in that open high alpine terrain. If Wildlife Division opens a first rifle season for deer that mirrors the existing first rifle dates for Elk, the bucks aren't going to be much more vulnerable than they are during 2nd season. It will probably actually be a tough hunt since they won't be high and it's way too early for any rut activity. If anything, the Elk have been the ones that are vulnerable during first season due to still being somewhat call receptive to people carrying rifles.
This is what they were talking about, yep. And the main concern is that elk hunters who expect a secluded 1st season hunt will be mad there are more people running around when they've been building up points...granted that's what happens to deer hunters on 3rd rifle hunts when theres OTC elk hunters running around, it is a part of the conversation.

That’s what happens in Wyoming. The number of points it takes to get a general license is up to about 5 and rising. Archery elk hunters get mad when the rifle deer hunters hit the hills on September 15 which is prime time for them.

sndmn11

WKR
They should stop 1st rifle elk and 4th rifle deer.