Advice- Mule Deer Hunt

The biggest bucks I saw in NW CO were wandering around the streets, behind our hotel and in peoples yards. We were driving back from dinner and cut thru the middle of town and there were 3 huge bucks eating on the sidewalk. We stopped about 10 feet away to take pics and a monster non typical walked up the the truck window!!!!!!! I shot a nice buck that year but not as big as the ones in town!!!!!!!!!

I think the ranch owner said the private land landowner tags were $3000 plus whatever the guide fees are, that was 3 years ago. He also stated that some of the units the landowner tags were $10,000.

The winter was hard on the deer in alot of areas last year. On our elk hunts in NW CO we usually see alot of mule deer and some nice bucks. In 2023 we saw no mule deer during 3rd season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the one I shot 2 years ago, not sure what he scores.

Attachments

• IMG_1218.JPG
    IMG_1218.JPG
    592.3 KB · Views: 30
Not to shift to anal scoring techniques, but it is a valid question…
What truly is 180+? I’m being serious because the answer greatly effects if your hunt was “successful”.

Rigorous vetting of the Outfitter is crucial in answering this question because most learned their mule deer math from the Eastman’s 15+ years ago.
It’s like this…
Buck laying at your feet gross scores 161 6/8
Now round up to 170
Now add 10 points and the word “class” to the end of it
Your Outfitter just got you a 180 “class” buck

A legit, final said and done, official 180+ buck will literally need to be a gross and green, 190ish buck when you walk up to him.

Think of how important this question is for sheep. A friend of mine was a MTFWP biologist and an official B&C scorer for decades. He had dozens of stories of puffed up chested guys bringing their ram into him. Then 15min later they were completely dejected and filled with regret over 2/8ths of an inch. It pissed him off, but it was more common than you’d think.

WRO

WKR
Western Nebraska should be on your list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk