Why might my rifle have lost zero

Lawnboi

WKR
Dude buy a new barrel and stop chasing your tail
This!

You already burnt the money on components that you could have a good blank.

This is normally when I pull a barrel, when it starts doing that, is at a reasonable end of life round count, and iv done a once over on everything else, it’s a no brainer.

Macintosh

WKR
OP said there were 600-700 rounds on the barrel (now + another 80?) on a 28 nosler. Quick google search says most people claiming 700-800 rounds is the extent of reasonable expected barrel life for that cartridge, with some claiming less. Having done the detailed checks including a different scope to verify the cause, sounds to me like it would be highly reasonable to assign blame to the barrel life at this point?

Ive never “burned out” a barrel, everything I shoot has expected lifespans in the thousands of rounds. For those who have done so, is this what you see?

OP
stan_wa

stan_wa

Lil-Rokslider
I’m thinking that when I send it in Seekins if there is not something mechanically wrong with the rifle, they will install new barrel for me. They charge 550 and I was very happy with the original barrel so I have no reason to want to try something else.

That’s just hope I can get it before hunting season lol

TaperPin

WKR
OP said there were 600-700 rounds on the barrel (now + another 80?) on a 28 nosler. Quick google search says most people claiming 700-800 rounds is the extent of reasonable expected barrel life for that cartridge, with some claiming less. Having done the detailed checks including a different scope to verify the cause, sounds to me like it would be highly reasonable to assign blame to the barrel life at this point?

Ive never “burned out” a barrel, everything I shoot has expected lifespans in the thousands of rounds. For those who have done so, is this what you see?
I’ve even had a 7 Rem mag burn out with 700 rounds - I’d be surprised if the op barrel isn’t done. Even if it was some issue that was solved and it could shoot perfectly, it’s so close to being done for, does it even matter?

Some gunsmiths will pass a slug down the barrel to feel for unusually loose and tight spots - they won’t even mess with a rifle that has bore issues - it’s just time for a new barrel.

Most talk about a slow down turn in accuracy as the barrel starts to go, but sometimes accuracy remains pretty good, but speed drops as gasses bypass the bullet more and more. It seems to be most common for a gradual change.

It can also be sudden, especially if a chunk of alligatored metal from the throat end breaks off - I’ve only seen borescope photos of that, and haven’t experienced it firsthand.

Erosion happens on both ends - it could be a loose muzzle that is causing escaping gasses to upset the bullet unevenly causing stringing. With accuracy barrels it’s common to cut a little off the muzzle and recrown well before it’s burned up. There’s no doubt there is measurable bore wear at the muzzle after 800 rounds of 28 nos.

OP
stan_wa

stan_wa

Lil-Rokslider
At this point if seekins can get me in before mid August ill just go ahead and rebarrel and once I get the new barrel I’ll minimize shooting this gun and use my .308 for all my training

MattB

WKR
Is 20 inch pounds enough torque for the ring caps? I think I read here you need to get closer to 25 for the scope not to be able to move in the rings.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
At this point if seekins can get me in before mid August ill just go ahead and rebarrel and once I get the new barrel I’ll minimize shooting this gun and use my .308 for all my training

Congrats on actually burning up a barrel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!