Why I won’t buy a Tikka

Decker9

WKR
LOL, I was at the range today and had a guy telling me about the bolt on his Defiance Ruckus sometimes binding. I would take “bolt slop” over binding any day.

My anti is a complete pos when it comes to binding, any slight sideways pull it will bind. I’m not sure on the Ruckus, by my deviant has the anti gall rail, no matter how hard I cock sideways, there’s zero bind.

I have seen defiance become completely bound from a human hair. .001 play doesn’t fit .003 hair very well needed a a piece of wood to force bolt open.

Not hair, but pine needles. That gap between the bolt body and the raceway on the defiances are funnels for debris and water into the magazine. Iv had the same issue on a few counts with needles and twigs jammed in my defiance bolt.

I’ll take a pre 64 any day of the week if I could just have 1!! 😉

Dave0317

WKR
I do make it a point to routinely fill the mag and cycle while shooting, which oddly seems a rarity at the range these days. I've had and witnessed so many feeding issues surface when recoil is added that I wouldn't take a rig afield without confirming functionality first.

Yep, you don’t see many guys worried about this kind of thing outside of the military and police communities, and an extremely small percentage of preparedness minded civilians. And even amongst those groups, it’s only a few that truly test their equipment and themselves under any real stress.

Fortunately, most of us will only ever hunt non-dangerous game.

TaperPin

WKR
I probably won’t buy one for myself, but I’d buy one of our kids one if they get excited about it. There are so many that work well, it can’t be argued it isnt a good shooting rifle.

If someone like the looks, it should be on the top of their list. Some like Ford some like Chevy. I don’t care for plastic parts, but aluminum isn’t much better - I seem to replace bottom metal on any rifle. The grooves on top aren’t my cup of tea and always catch my eye as looking unfinished or odd - too bad they don’t have a better usable system or simply leave the grooves off.

I’ll probably look a little closer at the bolt stop, take the bolt out even, move the stop back and forth, check it for smoothness. :)

Macintosh

WKR
Yeah, fair enough on the bolt being a little sloppy when open, and no olastic stock is going to be great…luckily good stocks are easy to come by at not much $$ if thats something that bugs you, OR wood and laminate versions are readily available. My brother owned a newer winchester until a couple years ago, and I borrowed one on a hunt a few years ago as well—I appreciate some things about them, but short of a legit pre-64 m70, in large part for the nostalgia and feel, I would not trade any of my tikka’s for one. To me that slop is aesthetic, not functional, and those bolts were easy to get to bind—on function I’ll put any of my tikkas against any other rifle out there in the same class, and many that are a lot more $$. I’ll be the first to admit theres things about them that arent perfect…but its a good balance of qualities that is deservedly popular. if I wanted perfect I wouldnt be looking at a $759 rifle.

Bergara is a non-starter for me, from the handful Ive seen friends buy, and from dozens of threads on various forums, it seems their nickname is earned. Im sure there’s plenty of good ones, but I havent seen any functional reason to try one.

The good thing is…no one is forcing anyone to buy a tikka. If you prefer something else, buy something else!

Edit: also, I see that the list price on a new model 70 is more than double what a tikka costs. My stainless t3x sits in an alterra carbon stock, together those two items (gun and stock) cost me a couple hundred $ less than the list price of the equivalent m70. Given pricing Im going to call BS on the tupperware stock complaints, its easy to put a tikka in any of several totally fine aftermarket stocks for less $ than a new m70.

Last edited:

RussDXT

WKR
One of the best bolt actions I’ve run is the 303 British Enfield. I would love to get one chambered in a 223 and 6.5 cm.

I don’t find tikkas bad at all. Better than some Remington customs.

Bugger

FNG
The bolt slop. I can’t stand that wiggly rattle bolt slip that feels horribly cheap. I know they’re great rifles, I know the trigger is great, I know the accuracy is unmatched in consistency for factory rifles, etc etc.

But I just can’t stand the bolt slop. If you’ve handled a prewar W70 or W54 you know the feeling of having a cartridge firmly but smoothly guided into place. With no slop.
Ah yes the pre-64. There’s just no replicating that smooth, firm, controlled bolt push right before squeezing a trigger that breaks like a snail shell beneath bare feet, getting racked by a 60+ year old recoil pad that gets stiffer with age, and knowing for a fact the bullet is gonna be somewhere on that paper plate at 100 yards. Gotta love nostalgia.

I’m a big fan of them. Tikkas just plain work. Their triggers are great. Not a fan of the stock. Just the feeling of them. But they shoot. I threw all my tikkas in a chassis.

Good thing is if you don’t like them. Don’t have to buy them.

SloppyJ

WKR
I bought my first Tikka for my son. A T3x compact in 223. The bolt feels just a little but more sloppy than my r700 clone actions but it seems relatively smooth. What I did notice is that it's not as picky on running the bolt in terms of binding.

The stock doesn't do it for me but I knew that going into it. If it shoots like most others I see on here, I will be more than impressed.

IMO the only reason I'm not picking a Tikka over a clone action, I feel there's more value in an origin and being able to swap the bolt face. In the end, the cost savings isn't a lot going the Tikka route.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
Tell me, without telling me, that you don't know the difference between tolerance and clearance.

I'll take the tight tolerances with appropriate clearance of a Tikka over the inappropriate clearance of actions that feel tighter.

left hunter

Lil-Rokslider
The bolt lift on all of my Tikka’s is very easy, granted they all are older and well broken in but I don’t remember them ever being difficult to open

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll bite. Which current production off the shelf rifles have the “lack of bolt slop” like a pre-war model 70 or 54?

Strasser, Blaser, Heym, Merkel, Sauer, Lynx, Chapuis Rols, Anshutz, Roessler, Steel, Beretta, Haenel. There’s some interesting and amazing actions to explore. Easier overseas, lol.

Have two Tikkas, don’t find them super smooth. They are fine, but not so amazing as sometimes made out.