Why I won’t buy a Tikka

I’ve never been shooting my tikkas and thought “this would be so much better if the action was a different size).
Fair point. Action length is obviously not an issue when shooting. I also understand there are many advantages to the one-size-fits-all action length, especially for aftermarket stocks and chassis.

However, for a 223-length case, it’s physically larger than necessary. That’s all I’m saying. As an example, compare a Tikka to a Sako A1/L461 or CZ 527. Big difference.

All I can say is do not try a Savage if you think Tikka's have sloppy bolts.
Either I don’t know the true meaning of the term “bolt slop” (entirely possible ) or neither my Tikka Super Varmint or Savage Model 12 LRPV has much if any. Then again neither are lower cost “budget” rifles like the Savage Axis line. And the Tikka Super Varmint certainly doesn’t have a “ Rubbermaid cheap-ass stock “ either.

ElPollo

WKR
This isn't the time for reasonableness.....

I'd probably be team Finland if it wasn't for the loose feeling bolt, shape of the trigger, short safety throw, bolt lock on safe, and stock. Once I fix those the things I can, and come to terms with the things I can't, I've spent a lot more than I would buying something that I like better.
No offense intended, but you appear to have way too much time on your hands. Dismissing reliability for meaningless minutia seems like cutting your hand off because of a hangnail. Guns are just tools, pick something that works and go outside.

fshaw

WKR
If someone coughs within a 50 foot radius of my rifle I want both the trigger and bolt to become inoperable. OP needs that early Defiance action + Jewell trigger combo.
I’ve used s Jewel trigger on a custom Model 7 for lots of years and lots of miles in every condition. Never cleaned it and never had an issue. Must have been lucky.

Great trigger.

Hnthrdr

WKR
With no offense intended at all, this entire thread is a giant billboard for sample size.

-J
My thoughts exactly… started with one tikka… currently have 4, all 4 are shooting moa or sub moa 10 shot groups with factory ammo. Minor alterations (trigger springs) vert grips and butt pad. One will get rebarrelled to 6cm and maybe a second. Inversely I have two far more expensive CA rem 700 clones. One drives tacks and the other is alright… but for 3x the cost it shoots no better than my 700$ tikka. I wish I knew a brand in the 700 range that would offer what tikkas do, maybe the closest is the ruger American but fit and finish is no where near the tikka.

OP
jjjjeremy

jjjjeremy

Lil-Rokslider
No offense intended, but you appear to have way too much time on your hands. Dismissing reliability for meaningless minutia seems like cutting your hand off because of a hangnail. Guns are just tools, pick something that works and go outside.
What can I say. I like what I like. I have a pile of rifles that work for me that fit my criteria. None of them have the Tikka specific issues I avoid.

Honestly, I would love to own a Tikka just for the modularity between barrels and action lengths. I’ve even dug into trigger diagrams to look into the possibility of shaving off the bolt lock. It seems like an ideal budget option for someone that lives in an area that makes a new firearm purchase more troublesome than a barrel swap.

But, all the other differences that seem minor to sum add up to me asking why I would spend the time and money turning a Tikka into what I want, rather than starting with a different rifle that’s already nearly there.

I had a blued, wood stocked LSA55 Tikka a long time ago (late 70's-early 80's) in 308 Winchester that shot bugholes and was beautifully fit and finished.....todays Tikka compared to that one is like comparing a Fiesta to a Cadillac. I think Tikka was bought out by Sako a few years later...then Tikka became the red-headed stepchild to Sako ever since. Back then Tikka was as well built as a Sako if not better....not the case today for sure.

Last edited:
Honestly, I would love to own a Tikka just for the modularity between barrels and action lengths. I’ve even dug into trigger diagrams to look into the possibility of shaving off the bolt lock.
Different strokes for different folks. I cherish a good bolt lock. However, for others contemplating messing with the trigger to achieve what jjjjeremy is after, please just buy a Timney trigger for your Tikka or snag one of the dozens of lawyer-safe rifles on the market that allow you to cycle the action on safe.

I’m curious to know your list of the 5 best hunting rifles. Please share in order. You have piqued my curiosity.

I had a blued, wood stocked LSA55 Tikka a long time ago (late 70's-early 80's) in 308 Winchester that shot bugholes and was beautifully fit and finished.....todays Tikka compared to that one is like comparing a Fiesta to a Cadillac. I think Tikka was bought out by Sako a few years later...then Tikka became the red-headed stepchild to Sako ever since. Back then Tikka was as well built as a Sako if not better....not the case today for sure.
I dunno, I just sold a sako s20 precision and bought a tikka upr. I think the tikka is the better rifle. Stock on the upr doesn't have that cheap plastic feel, both actions are smooth, the trigger doesn't slide in the upr but its still an adjustable, crisp trigger. And I can buy aftermarket accessories for the tikka easier. If both would just have a full length mlok rail down the center of the forend....

OP
jjjjeremy

jjjjeremy

Lil-Rokslider
Different strokes for different folks. I cherish a good bolt lock. However, for others contemplating messing with the trigger to achieve what jjjjeremy is after, please just buy a Timney trigger for your Tikka or snag one of the dozens of lawyer-safe rifles on the market that allow you to cycle the action on safe.

I’m curious to know your list of the 5 best hunting rifles. Please share in order. You have piqued my curiosity.
I just don't have any use for a bolt lock because I carry my bolt guns empty and uncocked. If it's empty and cocked I want to be able to load one without taking it off safe. I'd honestly prefer to be able to lock the bolt uncocked on an empty chamber, and the non-existant four position safety would be ideal.

Hard to say what the five best would be. T3X Lite Stainless would be in the top three. I have an 80s era 700 .30-06 BDL that shoots Barnes Vor-TX in perfect cloverleafs, but it's heavy has hell and painful to shoot. I had a B14 Hunter in 6.5CM that I regret selling. It put every factory load into the same 1.5 MOA group, and shot most high qualty ammo around .75 MOA. These days, if I'm expecting a shot under 200y I'll take my POF Rogue in 308 that shoots around .8-.9. Over 200y I'm taking a Winchester 70 Extreme Weather in 300WM. I'm picking up another Bergara in 6.5CM today thats probably going to become my Goldilocks again.

Vern400

WKR
All I can say is do not try a Savage if you think Tikka's have sloppy bolts.
Yeah man! I've got a model 112 and I have no idea how that thing shoots so dang good. It took me 170 shots before it quit copper fouling. It was rough as a cob but I don't care that thing shoots. Wonky bolt and all.

Yeah man! I've got a model 112 and I have no idea how that thing shoots so dang good. It took me 170 shots before it quit copper fouling. It was rough as a cob but I don't care that thing shoots. Wonky bolt and all.
Well, they must be doing SOMETHING right at Savage. It’s interesting to me the number of posts I’ve read in which, after extensive bitching and moaning, a high percentage say something to the effect of, “ But the thing shoots so damn good! “. I have three Savage rifles, a110 Storm in .223, 93R17, and a Model 12 LRPV. I enjoy shooting all three and aside from some early mag issues with the 110 magazine (since resolved) have functioned flawlessly. Wish the bolt lift on the LRPV was a bit better but it doesn’t bother me enough to do anything about it.

The only thing that puts a Tikka slightly above a low-grade Savage is the fact that at least the Tikka doesn't rust within 30 seconds of getting a drop of rain on it.....

Flame away. lol