Why i do not use floorless in warm weather.

We have packrats here also...but that picture is a city rat at a very high dollar house I take care of. Doggie runs around the huge fenced yard while I tend to the landscaping....he had that one cornered under a push mower...I flushed it and he did the rest. Put $50 for rat extermination on the bill.... :love:

He has gotten a few moles at that property also.
Is that the house I helped you move stuff to when in Kansas 😉

Blandry

WKR
Reptiles can't survive over 9500 feet so a floorless shelter is fine. I haven't really seen any snake in the west above 8k. It still gets down to <50 deg at altitude at night year round and reptiles don't care for that. Furthermore they are hibernating in winter so a floorless shelter won't be an issue on a hunting trip.

I grew up in South Louisiana and lived/hunted ranches in south TX for 15 years so I know snakes :). I would have never gone floorless in those states.

Last edited:

Stickmark

FNG
Mostly AZ here, some New Mexico excursions, and I say an emphatic NO to floorless. Worked w adjudicated youth who did many, many days tentless, and did infantry, and there were no snake bites, but still NO. Even when I have take my own survival trips I only passed on the tent body-bugscreen once. Insurance co pays alone make me say nope.

Mojave

WKR
Anybody had issues floorless for Wyoming archery elk?
Where?

There are rattlesnakes all over Wyoming. There is an altitude that will shut this down. Here in Southern New Mexico it doesn't exist. I have regularly found snakes at up to 10,000 feet. The Lincoln and Gila both have snakes, maybe not on the very top of the highest mountains but close. The Organs and Caballos are covered in Snakes they top out at about 9500 feet.

Back home in Wyoming based on a variety of maps and my experience is that there are rattlesnakes in most mountains of the Eastern 2/3rds of the state. Altitude probably helps above 8000 feet.

For sure there are limited rattlesnakes in the valleys.

kcm2

WKR
I slept in floorless tents in South Texas the entire time I used tents, including a Whelen tent. Never had a problem. But I prefer a floor now in snake country.

Last edited: