Why i do not use floorless in warm weather.

*zap*

WKR
Rained all Saturday and this morning. I have a small pile of wood next to the canoe 20' from my tent.

20230611_220714.jpg

Digging for some drier wood and saw movement. I smashed that Lil one with the maul.

20230611_210202.jpg

My 14 month old terrier was there and I sent him to his place(on an aluminum fold out bench) he went and stayed which was great. Grabbed a headlamp and shovel. Got the adult and another youngun.

20230611_211141.jpg

Kept looking and got another baby.

20230611_212238.jpg

Guess I'm gonna check under the tent now.

Dog stayed in his place like a pro, gave me less to worry about.

Anyway, that is why I use a floored tent in summer.

Attachments

• 20230611_211141.jpg
    20230611_211141.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 156

Swamp Fox

WKR
Wouldn't even think about a tent without a floor here.

Although I have camped open-air a few times in the NC mountains on open ground. And I guess a few times catfishing on a riverbank here and there ... But that was more like taking a nap ... And I always had a bottle of snake medicine, so I had that going for me, which was nice.

What do you do to fight off a snake that has crawled up your pants leg?

Not really sure, but be calm... Definitely don't show him you're nuts ...

87TT

WKR
Never been around them but that's what I thought. Killed a button diamondback behind the wife's car in the garage last week.

BBob

WKR
IMG_0901.jpeg
Scolopendra heros, giant Sonoran centipede

These and scorpions are what keep me in a full tent or bug bivy if under a tarp year round in the desert southwest. Not much freaks me out but the giant centipedes sure do. When they crawl up rock faces you can hear the legs scratching and tapping as they slither around. Freaky!

I agree with you on the floored tent and I don't have any snakes. I spent my career in the USBM with floored tents. Only once when I came into camp too late to set up. That was in Hells Canyon Idaho. A normal day was 100-200 rattlesnakes per mile. That night I slept on the top of my land cruiser.

For my career with the university, I bought a 4 man dome tent with a rain fly. Worked for me and my dog as well as when I had the family along.

For my more permanent camps, I built a 3-4 log wall outside my wall tent. The rain fly covered the logs and directed both the rain and the snow to outside the logs. It made the tent a lot warmer and comfortable.

Zap, you can keep the snakes and I will suffer with the packrats and chipmunks.

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
View attachment 563803
Scolopendra heros, giant Sonoran centipede

These and scorpions are what keep me in a full tent or bug bivy if under a tarp year round in the desert southwest. Not much freaks me out but the giant centipedes sure do. When they crawl up rock faces you can hear the legs tapping as they slither around. Freaky!
That's nasty.

Gotta move slow and stay alert.

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
I agree with you on the floored tent and I don't have any snakes. I spent my career in the USBM with floored tents. Only once when I came into camp too late to set up. That was in Hells Canyon Idaho. A normal day was 100-200 rattlesnakes per mile. That night I slept on the top of my land cruiser.

For my career with the university, I bought a 4 man dome tent with a rain fly. Worked for me and my dog as well as when I had the family along.

For my more permanent camps, I built a 3-4 log wall outside my wall tent. The rain fly covered the logs and directed both the rain and the snow to outside the logs. It made the tent a lot warmer and comfortable.

Zap, you can keep the snakes and I will suffer with the packrats and chipmunks.
My doggie makes short work of rats. Only 14 months but he has chalked up a few kills just around town.

20230530_162319.jpg

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
@*zap* I've seen you posting about killing copperheads since 2010. I would have to move if I lived there.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
:D

I been hit by them 2x. Once on snake gaiters and one got just my pant near my ankle...those died also. (y)

this evening was close but the doggie and I came out aok.

Zap- our packrats have a bushy tail and an eyewatering stench. They are about or slightly larger than pine Squirrels. They aren't hard to catch and are mostly nocturnal. I've seen a couple that moved into houses in firewood. There are subtle hints of what you have but most have never seen them until its time to burn the house.

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
We have packrats here also...but that picture is a city rat at a very high dollar house I take care of. Doggie runs around the huge fenced yard while I tend to the landscaping....he had that one cornered under a push mower...I flushed it and he did the rest. Put $50 for rat extermination on the bill.... :love:

He has gotten a few moles at that property also.

Last edited:
Growing up I remember seeing strings of headlights on the opposite ridge at daylight or just before. A couple of times they would stop to simulate the attack on the beaches at Normandy. How you figure who hit something with ten cars shooting I will never know.

The creek bottoms had solid camps - mostly from the adjacent county which was on the rez. By the next weekend they were gone and sanity prevailed.

Ten years later the camps had moved over the ridge into the next county and would stay from August to December. It was always interesting running a string through the tents and clothes lines to get to the bridge across the creek. By the 90s the elk were gone as were the camps. The strange part was that most of the campers were road hunters. By the time I got to the top of the ridge I never cut a man track.

I see similar events now. I hunt roughly 300 miles from where I was born. As I load up my horses in the trailer the trucks go past my gate at the rate of 1 every two- three minutes. When I get to my destination, the majority are loading up and heading to town for breakfast at about 9:30. I hunt all day in peace and when I get down off the hill at about 4 or 4:30 they all start to show up to stare at the Parks until dark.

When I get home I see a repeat of the morning until 8 or 9 as they go home. That is repeated for up to a month after hunting season or when they get snowed out.