Why give your money to RMEF if your “out east” ?

Ive supported them and many others most of my life, I love flipping through beautiful pictures in the magazine, but someone please tell me why I should continue to support RMEF and organizations like that? I know they do great work in MI on our little heard, but if I, as a NR in western states, will be continually sh*t on by their game management folks why send my money out there for habitat or anything else? The residents and various states have it covered right?
To me it looks like it’s getting to be a rich man’s sport and unless I go with an outfitter on private land and have my hand held I’m not going to have much for opportunities going forward.

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
They work at opening up access all over. Helped establish elk back into many eastern states along with a lot of other very good habitat projects. No conservation organization guarantees you to be able to kill an elk. I have been a life member since 1989 and will continue to support them until I die, maybe after.

CorbLand

WKR
I am always down for not supporting orgs that don’t do what they claim or you don’t feel like you get the support you are paying for. But if your reason is because some states you don’t reside in are giving NR the shaft…well that would be the direct opposite reason to not donate to RMEF.

I have, do & will continue to do so. IMO, they are an effective organization that does great things for the elk herds all across the country.
There are small but growing elk herds here in the east in large part because of their efforts. The chances of actually drawing a tag are essentially zero but hey, at least they're here.

This sounds like a person showing up for church with a check & saying "I'll only give you the money if I'm guaranteed to get into Heaven".
RMEF is just like anything else in life... you can choose to support it or don't.
For the record I think the NR tag issue has been beaten to a pulp by now.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Ive supported them and many others most of my life, I love flipping through beautiful pictures in the magazine, but someone please tell me why I should continue to support RMEF and organizations like that? I know they do great work in MI on our little heard, but if I, as a NR in western states, will be continually sh*t on by their game management folks why send my money out there for habitat or anything else? The residents and various states have it covered right?
To me it looks like it’s getting to be a rich man’s sport and unless I go with an outfitter on private land and have my hand held I’m not going to have much for opportunities going forward.
Ask them directly.

There is A LOT of elk opportunity out west.

Little to 0% of the elk opportunity I pursue has anything to do with the RMEF.

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
The only reason “out west” gets the attention and pressure is because the tag numbers and population in Midwest and “back east” have been nonexistent a decade or so ago and aren’t there yet currently. From what I understand, RMEF has contributed a significant amount and is working to secure additional lands for public use to compliment the reintroduction of elk. This is something to be supported by itself, and if you really want to read the crystal ball and eventual decline of western hunting as it sits today, look east: there are no natural predators of the four-legged type. Once those herds adapt in full, I imagine they will grow quickly with proper management and alleviate much of the pressure, and annual income, that the west is enduring/enjoying.

Zak406

Lil-Rokslider
My camp in pa is in the heart of elk country. Some of the money donated to rmef contributed.

By that thought process the only reason to donate to the American heart association is if you have or have had a heart attack.

I’m a paid member, and have been for years.

I do get a little frustrated they haven’t pressured ODNR to restore elk to Ohio. Studies have shown we do have proper habitat in the SE part of the state.

That said they are a habitat organization. I don’t expect them to fight battles for NR hunters.

That said I do see the need for a DIY NR specific lobbying org. I like SCI, but they seem to be all about their outfitters and the “rights” of big money clients.

ETA my favorite elk hunting area is now public ground thanks to RMEF. I try not to forget that.

def90

WKR

Haven’t they been involved in reintroducing elk in places like Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and a couple other states out east?

Rokbar

WKR
I was told by the head biologist in western NC there will never be a elk season in NC.

SCI is leaps and bounds ahead of some of the other conservation organizations. Moving their convention to Nashville has doubled the attendance, I believe. DSC is moving their convention to Atlanta for a couple of years as Dallas is renovating and rebuilding their convention center.

RMEF, Wild Sheep, etc. should probably take notice of the larger population in the central and eastern part of the country. Missed opportunities??

Please try to join as many of the conservation groups as possible and please attend their conventions and meetings. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.

Jethro

WKR
RMEF is about the elk, not the hunters. Our benefits are a byproduct of their elk work.

If so, you should really look closer.