Why do old Leupold scopes go for so much?

You think that's something, look at the prices for the VX-L or VX3-L varieties. I have two of them I'm sitting on, one in the safe and one mounted still in use. I really need to sell the one in the safe and I just can't bring myself to offload them.

Xycod

Lil-Rokslider
Older thread I know, but instead of starting a new one seem or fit. Anyway I saw some older Leupold vx2/3’s and a few redfield lo-pro/illuminator scopes yesterday at a local shop and the guy wanted Zeiss v4,swaro z3, Trijicon credo, prices. Nostalgia is an expensive thing apparently, vintage seems to be the new sales line.

TaperPin

WKR
I wish everyone would stop buying all the fixed power scopes with target knobs for top dollar - the stupid things are selling on eBay for more than new prices.
lol

Rich M

WKR
The old Leupold scopes hold a zero. New ones are crap.

I have a vx-2 that hasnt needed adjustment since i bought it in 2005/2006. Tried a vx-3i and it shot 2 inches, put vx-2 back on and shoots 1 inch. Go figure.

Rich M

WKR
Older thread I know, but instead of starting a new one seem or fit. Anyway I saw some older Leupold vx2/3’s and a few redfield lo-pro/illuminator scopes yesterday at a local shop and the guy wanted Zeiss v4,swaro z3, Trijicon credo, prices. Nostalgia is an expensive thing apparently, vintage seems to be the new sales line.
I've got a Redfield Illuminator 56 mm scope and it is every bit as good in low light as many of the expensive scopes. My scope was purchased in 1990-1992 for $500. The only bugaboo it has is a small eye box at higher magnification. It is a great scope, ahead of its time when made.

There is a diminishing return with scopes - the new ones have better coatings but the old ones have better internals and sturdier materials.