Why do old Leupold scopes go for so much?

schlumpyj

FNG
I inherited a 7mm rifle from my dad and it has a 30ish year old Leupold scope. I'm new to rifle hunting so not super familiar with the details of optics. I was thinking about putting on a new VX-3HD scope so I could have the MOA adjustments dial. I don't particularly like guessing where to aim if the target is not at my zero.

I then went to look on Ebay to see what the old scope (Leupold vari-x iii 3.5-10x40) would go for. I was shocked to see the cheapest one sold in the past few months went for $310. The new scope would cost about $420 so I'm wondering what I'm missing here?

Surely optics have advanced enough in 30 years to make the old versions worth significantly less? Is there something special about these old scopes that I should know? Thanks!

OP, I will answer your questions with my opinion and my opinion only…

Have optics advanced in 30yrs? - - Hell Yeah

Is there something special about these scopes? - - Hell No

What are you missing? - - People try to screw you. And other people are willing to pay the $. So maybe that makes it a mutually beneficial screwing? If both parties are happy, so be it. Me personally, I wouldn’t buy a used scope from my grandma, let alone a guy off eBay. I would rather buy new, then you know exactly how it’s been treated. Others would vehemently disagree and have several examples of it working out for them.

Specific to Leupold… they are an American company trying to compete with the top tier European optics. They do this by inflating their prices so that they sit next to the Swaros, etc. in the display counter. They’re MSRP is ridiculous. Ask someone with a pro deal discount on them. They’re good scopes with great glass. My family was Leupold-only for a long time. But they are marked up huge.

If it were me and I’m looking at a difference of $100 for a new vs. a very old scope. I’d buy new every time. More importantly, 7mag is a great cartridge. Get a good scope on it and go. Good luck.

Binz17

Lil-Rokslider
I put that same scope on my 7mm 25 years ago. At the time it cost more than the gun it was on.

Nick992

Lil-Rokslider
My $0.02 is brand loyalty.
I liken it to a beat-up Jeep from the 70s going for $10k.
I'd say to take advantage of the cult following and use the funds for the new scope.

BBarnett13

Lil-Rokslider
I'm big on aesthetics. I have an 80's Ruger Tang Safety that is hot blued. I prefer a glossy finish scope on it and purposely sought out after an older Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 to get that look. Is it necessary, no. Does it look good and do what I need it to, sure does!

drh2687

FNG
That Vari-x iii is nothing... you should see the stupid money clone rifle builders are paying for some of the Mark 4 varieties that were mil issue that are no longer sold commercially. Vastly more capable scopes are on the market today, and yet they are willing to shell out...

Reed104R

Lil-Rokslider
I sell alot of used optics and the older US made Leupolds are great sellers. They are good scopes and guaranteed forever. I have personally used them for years and know them to be very dependable scopes. I'm sure nostalgia plays a roll in the strong used Leupold market. Ebay prices can sometimes be crazy. I have noticed the market for variable powered Leupolds is better than fixed powers. Keep in mind any optic with a transferable lifetime warranty will command good prices on the used market.

Because it takes hard work to change one's perception of a rifle scope. And, the fact that Leupold scopes still aren't the limiting factor to most hunters.

Maverick1

WKR
Very interesting. I have that exact same scope on a 270. Maybe less than 50-75 rounds through the rifle. What I’m hearing is there is a market for that scope.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I had a VX3 3.5-10 scope that I would have gladly traded for one of those older Vari-X III's or even a Vari-X II when I sold it. I sold a 1970's Vari-X II 3-9 for $275 probably 15 years ago. So it's not a new phenomenon. I also sold an old Redfield Accu-track Widefield Illuminator 3-9 for almost $300 on Ebay maybe 5 years ago. The glass on that thing wasn't great IMO compared to my Mark 4's, but it always got the job done.

ChrisAU

WKR
I am a Loopy basher.

I paid $346 with tax for a Loopy 2-7x28 VX-1 Rimfire this morning that used to be $250 new.

Its 8.5 oz, 10" long. Thats why I did it lol.

SDHNTR

WKR
Because gloss and silver scopes aren’t made anymore. Simple supply and demand for folks wanting to match aesthetics on older guns.