Who wants to do a monthly positional shooting challenge?

Macintosh

WKR
Someone in the cold bore challenge thread suggested posting a monthly shooting challenge. I've seen this elsewhere as well, I had a couple guys I used do it with and it was a good way to keep things fresh in my practice and stay motivated, unfortunately that fizzled as a few folks had kids. The way I've seen this work is something like this:
  1. a specific challenge is posted in a new thread "june 2024 monthly shooting challenge", with a description of the challenge. Would be awesome if it could get pinned, but that's not a necessity. Each challenge uses a specific target, usually with a link to a printable target or a simple target such as a specific size circle that can be easily reproduced, and is shot at a specific distance so everyone is shooting the exact same course of fire (minus wx). It would be something like "this challenge is designed to test XX shooting skill. Use this target (link) at 100 yards. Start standing, on "go" start timer and get into XX position, and shoot the target 3 times within 30 seconds. Each hit counts for 2 points, each miss subtracts 1 point. Repeat 3 times, each time breaking position and re-starting the timer, for a total of 9 shots. highest score wins".
  2. Emphasis is on making it address or test a useful skill, hopefully making it easy for people to participate even if they dont have access to a very long range, specialized barricades, etc--ideally would be skill-focused and able to be done in one session with a little creativity on most ranges so most anyone could participate if they want without having to drive and hike hours to find a place to meet the challenge requirements.
  3. The method of choosing the person that defines the next months challenge is identified in the initial post, either whoever scores best, whoever scores worst, the xxth person to participate, the person closest to the average score, the person who shoots in the highest wind, the person who completes in the shortest time, whatever.
  4. Anyone who wants to participate shoots the challenge, and usually posts a picture of their target and any comments/takeaways/etc. It's for fun and to get better, so sometimes people shoot a second time after practice, etc. Part of the idea is to get better and find drills you can apply to your own shooting, so a repeat isnt out of the question as long as a month or three has passed in between.
  5. Everyone learns, practices, talks some smack, has a wonderful time, and lives happily ever after. There are no prizes--only glory.
I could use the motivation and would love to see some of the drills and whatnot various people use, so I'm game and would likely try to do it most months. Are folks interested? Feedback? Criticism? Snide remarks?

Last edited:

Graves14

WKR
sign me up as long as we aren't limited to one shot per session. I don't mind if only the first cold bore shot counts towards the challenge but driving an hour each way to take one shot was the worst part of the cold bore challenge. I need all the practice time I can get.

I’m in.

Here’s a few drills I either run currently or have ran in the past. Things like shot timers might need to be excluded, I think participation will be higher if the gear requirement is at the absolute minimum, like rifle, ammo, rangefinder, cell phone kind of simple.

(1) Stress shoot, 3 shots total
- 2 mile hike or ~40 minutes of easy activity with day pack
- 3 targets at random, but similar ranges
- 1 position per target
- 1 shot per target
- Metric is time to complete 2 miles with 25lbs pack divided by hits (eg 33 minutes/3 hits or 33/3=10 points) lowest score is winner
- add a shot timer to spice it up
(2) Speed shoot, 10 shots + 5 shot slow finish
- 5 targets, random ranges between 125-400 yards
- 2 shots per target
- Max 5 rounds loaded in magazine
- start from standing position, rifle slung
- range/engage each target faster than comfortable
*should mimic follow up shots
- Metric is total time to complete course of fire
- finish with 5 slow shots at closest target for group
(3) ”Real Life”, 6 shots total
- pick a day with poor conditions (wind/rain/etc)
- 3 targets, 100-800 yards
- 2 shots per target, fired as a pair
- pick three shooting positions, can use each once
- Metric is twofold 1) fastest shot pair and 2) avg pair overall shot time
(4) “Birthday Party”, 8 shots total
- 8 targets, random ranges 50-1000 yards
- blow up birthday balloons, staple 1 per target
*can make different sizes to increase difficulty
- one shot per target
- start from glassing position
- range/engage each target
- Metric is sum of total yardage for hit targets
(5) “Lunch Break” aka “cold bore”, 1 shot total
- single target, any distance
- start from standing position
- range/engage from position of choice
- This is basically the cold bore challenge
(6) Tic Tac Toe, 3 shots total
- 36” x 36” gong or target, 500-1000 yards
- use tape to outline a tic tac toe grid (12”x12” grid)
- Verbally call shot prior to fire
- Metric is 3 called hits in vertical, horizontal, or diagonal line…like you playing tic tac toe
(7) Egg Challenge, 10 shot max per round
- safety cones set at 100/200/300/400/500 yards
- place an egg on top of safety cone
- 2 shot max per distance, starting at 100/finish at 500
- 2 points for 1st shot hit, 1 point for 2nd shot hit
- Metric is highest point total out of 10

I like it in theory but haven’t found the time to do the Carl Ross drill outlined in the “gear vs practice” thread enough as it is.

Last edited:
OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
Ok, sounds like this idea is a no-go since @wind gypsy is busy.

😁

1) there are free cell phone shot timer apps. Anyone use one that is decent?

2) anyone know best easy file sharing for pdf or similar docs? The one I use is for work and Id rather not use that. Im thinking to make it easy to share a specific target that can just be printed out on 8.5x11 paper, theres some good easily printable/downloadable targets out there, just wondering if there’s a easy way to share other targets that someone might suggest.

3) be aware that a ton of people do not have access to ranges longer than a couple hundred yards (like 200 in many cases) so anything at longer range will prohibit folks like me from shooting. Its a 6 hour + round trip not including shooting time for me to shoot longer than 200 yards, so Im personally hoping for at least a decent % of drills that can be completed at a local range, and save the long drives for special occasions.

If folks are in I’ll post one for July to get it rolling and see where it goes.

Last edited:
Ok, sounds like this idea is a no-go since @wind gypsy is busy.

😁

1) there are free cell phone shot timer apps. Anyone use one that is decent?

2) anyone know best easy file sharing for pdf or similar docs? The one I use is for work and Id rather not use that. Im thinking to make it easy to share a specific target that can just be printed out on 8.5x11 paper, theres some good easily printable/downloadable targets out there, just wondering if there’s a easy way to share other targets that someone might suggest.

If folks are in I’ll post one for July to get it rolling and see where it goes.
You can upload PDF’s to a post here. Not sure if there’s a file size limit but I can’t imagine you’d hit it.

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
@SteveAndTheCrigBoys testing…can you see if this downloads and prints on 8.5x11 without any weird formatting or sizing issues? Just wondering if theres any quirks transferring the file, this is just a target I made in ms word and saved as a pdf that has 1moa circles and some sighters if printed at 100% size.

Attachments

• MOA Target.pdf
    177.2 KB · Views: 20
@SteveAndTheCrigBoys testing…can you see if this downloads and prints on 8.5x11 without any weird formatting or sizing issues? Just wondering if theres any quirks transferring the file, this is just a target I made in ms word and saved as a pdf that has 1moa circles and some sighters if printed at 100% size.
Had to get to work to access a printer. Works fine.

"Fit to Paper" setting produced a true 1" diameter circle. So that's the setting to go with.

"Fit to Margins" was smaller by 1/16" on the 2" diameter.

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
@Ryan Avery I figure we wait for the CBC to be over, but any issue with this? Wanna make it a sticky or just post away?
I hear you’re a busy guy so if we dont hear back before then will just go with the forgiveness plan.