Who is ready to DELETE Facebook?

CorbLand

WKR
If only there was a push to do exactly that. I don't know like 6 years ago. By some group of people that make laws.
But then you set the precedent that the government can just come in and make a company public when they feel that it has gotten too big or has to much influence. The whole problem with social media is that its gotten so big so fast and its the first time a society has seen this. When was the last time a company rose to so much prominence and influence in less than 20 years? We have no precedent on how to deal with these. Its a double edged sword.

z987k

WKR
But then you set the precedent that the government can just come in and make a company public when they feel that it has gotten too big or has to much influence. The whole problem with social media is that its gotten so big so fast and its the first time a society has seen this. When was the last time a company rose to so much prominence and influence in less than 20 years? We have no precedent on how to deal with these. Its a double edged sword.
It's well precedented in utilities.

Rich M

WKR
The idea that censoring people from one thought and allowing the people from the opposite thought is absurd. Crazy how BLM and Antifa are supported by the media while they censor others. Anyway - Facebook, Twitter, Google, all controlled and restricted. Same as MSM not telling you the whole story or providing the true facts, but instead opinions. Telling you what they want you to believe.

Last summer (2020) someone did a survey and most folks said that they wanted their news and such censored and edited to match their thoughts. Amazing! Shallow & foolish.

Wish there was a place to get the truth - anyone got any suggestions for truth in news?

CorbLand

WKR
It's well precedented in utilities.
Utilities are a completely different animal and was done for a complete different reason. It wasn't done because utility companies got to big and had too much influence.

I dont agree with what Facebook and Twitter have done. The hypocrisy from both side of the political spectrum has been astonishing in the last 3-4 years. I just dont think its a good idea to set a precedent that the government can determine what a business is allowed to do within there own doors. Private rights are equally as important.

Edit to Add.

The scary thing of all of this is the amount of influence these companies have and how much they control. Google and Apple have effectively taken over the internet. When Apple and Google took Parler out of their app stores, it effectively eliminated it from existence and there isnt really that many viable solutions. This is scary to me. Its also equally scary to me that we could allow the government to tell private business what they can and cannot allow. It cant be cherry picked. If this was allowed, Robby and Ryan wouldnt be able to ban people from this site because they come on here and stir the pot. There is a lot more covered under the first amendment than just words.

Last edited:

KHNC

WKR
I deleted Facebook after every liberal on social media started twisting the Jan 6th protest. Started using DuckDuckGo as my search engine. If you’re into social media you should start a parler and gab account. Amazon took parler off their servers and apple & google took parler out of their app stores. They want to silence conservatives and any competition. Gab and parler are the closest thing to competition fb & Twitter have. We need to support them.

I saw this story and it reminded me of this thread and conspiracy theories.

Now, we have confirmed active duty commissioned PSYOP officers, assigned to SF units, running around in all of this? How much do I believe the MSM cbs story about this? Not sure yet, but very interesting anyways. Did she get busted running an op and now they are running a cover? I dont know. Possible?

The unfortunate part is that although you know what you want to accomplish, your end result is the exact same as before. I am not trying to in any way bash you or your post btw.

Lots of folks are confused and possibly do not have enough tech knowledge to understand what their actions actually do. Parlor is not a competitor to Facebook. Its not a bastion of free speech. And it was never intended to be. The devil is in the details.

There is nothing wrong with declaring where you stand on an issue. But you must be more transparent and honest about where you stand and why. Or you will never have an expectation that can be achieved.

The easiest way I have been able to explain this is using the vegan logic. You want to stop hurting animals, then your ONLY able to accomplish this when you stop your existence. Otherwise, every action you take supports animal death. There is no getting around this. Exact same thing here. You want to not support amazon. Ok so you no longer get to use 80% of the internet. And all those companies who DO agree with you and your values and also use the internet must stop using it and that will likely put them out of business. And so on and so on. In that process you accomplish your unintended goal of supporting your opposition.

I deleted Facebook after every liberal on social media started twisting the Jan 6th protest. Started using DuckDuckGo as my search engine. If you’re into social media you should start a parler and gab account. Amazon took parler off their servers and apple & google took parler out of their app stores. They want to silence conservatives and any competition. Gab and parler are the closest thing to competition fb & Twitter have. We need to support them.

blicero

Lil-Rokslider
If you don't like Facebook, don't use it. If you're upset that AWS kicked Parler off their platform, stop supporting Bezos (Amazon, AWS, Washington Post, whatever rocket ship company he owns, etc).

But realize no one is obligated to build out technical platforms for you. It's not any more of a 1st Amendment / free speech issue that if I argued that Rokslide was obligated to carry whatever comments I want to make here, even if I was saying that pedophilia should be mandatory or any other crazy shit.

Parler got deplatformed this week because it was allowing people to openly call for overthrowing the government and assassinating the Vice President for being a traitor. Regardless of how angry you are about the election or how much you like Trump or hate Biden, no one with a real job and real assets and a real business wants to be associated with hosting or promoting that.

ZMT588

Lil-Rokslider
I have an account for local buy sell groups. Also comes in handy when trying to track down landowners in the area. Never post anything, or like anything. Solely for those purposes. No socializing. Set up the account with the least amount of info needed. Instagram is owned by facebook and my wife just told me instagram updated their app policy that the app can use the front or rear camera whenever the app wants essentially. Feels like spying to me. Got rid of that crap years ago. Only social platforms I'm on are here and a few other forums.

If you don't like Facebook, don't use it. If you're upset that AWS kicked Parler off their platform, stop supporting Bezos (Amazon, AWS, Washington Post, whatever rocket ship company he owns, etc).

But realize no one is obligated to build out technical platforms for you. It's not any more of a 1st Amendment / free speech issue that if I argued that Rokslide was obligated to carry whatever comments I want to make here, even if I was saying that pedophilia should be mandatory or any other crazy shit.

Parler got deplatformed this week because it was allowing people to openly call for overthrowing the government and assassinating the Vice President for being a traitor. Regardless of how angry you are about the election or how much you like Trump or hate Biden, no one with a real job and real assets and a real business wants to be associated with hosting or promoting that.
I agree and yet those posts were likely made with an iPhone yet do you see Apple taking any of the blame? Some are quick to blame gun manufacturers for the misuse of firearms, yet it doesn't seem to work the same when someone misuses their technology.

I agree and yet those posts were likely made with an iPhone yet do you see Apple taking any of the blame? Some are quick to blame gun manufacturers for the misuse of firearms, yet it doesn't seem to work the same when someone misuses their technology.

It does work the same. Neither gets in trouble. Neither should be responsible. Both get sued by morons all the time. Both get bad pr because of morons.

A gun is designed to expel a projectile.
A phone is designed to communicate.

Both are dangerous when in the hands of stupid people. And making a business responsible for the unintended actions of its consumers is crazy!

It does work the same. Neither gets in trouble. Neither should be responsible. Both get sued by morons all the time. Both get bad pr because of morons.

A gun is designed to expel a projectile.
A phone is designed to communicate.

Both are dangerous when in the hands of stupid people. And making a business responsible for the unintended actions of its consumers is crazy!
I agree that neither should be held responsible, but my point is that many times when a gun is used for a crime the gun is blamed rather than the user. This comes from the media as well as elected officials. However when a cell phone is used to incite violence, and spew hate you don't hear anything from the media or elected officials stating that there needs to be restrictions or a ban on cell phones.

wildcat33

WKR
Deleting Facebook? lol. Do it. Facebook is garbage. Deleting your account doesn't mean shit. They can do whatever they want, they are the biggest companies in the planet. Government gave them the power by gutting regulatory oversight. There's no law that says FB has to protect the first amendment. You would live in a wet dark hole if you cancelled service from every company that was run by a liberal asshat.

IMO FB should have been held accountable years ago when terrorist organizations started using them to recruit and organize.

I agree that neither should be held responsible, but my point is that many times when a gun is used for a crime the gun is blamed rather than the user. This comes from the media as well as elected officials.
It comes from the media and elected officials because it first came from mothers and fathers who lost children, brothers who lost sisters, and friends who lost friends to senseless violence.

Everyone always wants to shoot the messenger by blaming politicians and the media and ignore the fact that other Americans simply don't see it the same way they do.

dakotaduner

Lil-Rokslider
Never had it. Just not something I every wanted. Maybe I thought of it wrongly but people sharing every detail of their life and kids on it sounds creepy to me.

Riplip

WKR
Link to a very interesting and well written response from a company called Cloudflare, and their decision to terminate hosting services to several particularly reprehensible sites they used to host. Ironically Cloudflare appears to also provide some hosting and security services to the Rokslide community. So for those that are calling out or cancelling Twitter, Facebook, Amazon etc for their so called anti free speech decisions, where do you stand on Cloudflares decision, and if you disagree will you call for Rokslide to cancel their web business ties with Cloudflare?

For the record I am fully supportive of the action taken by Cloudflare and applaud them for taking a stand and drawing a line. I also think I think they provided an excellent response and policy when dealing with such situations. I also happen to agree with the decision of Twitter and Amazon, however like many have pointed out, one of the more important issues is the perceived inequality and bias of such actions. Violence, hate and ignorance are not mutually exclusive to Republicans or Democrats.

From the link below:

From Cloudflare: Many of our customers run platforms of their own on top of our network. If our policies are more conservative than theirs it effectively undercuts their ability to run their services and set their own policies. We reluctantly tolerate content that we find reprehensible, but we draw the line at platforms that have demonstrated they directly inspire tragic events and are lawless by design. 8chan has crossed that line. It will therefore no longer be allowed to use our services.

https://blog.cloudflare.com/terminating-service-for-8chan/