Who is ready to DELETE Facebook?

traviswdalton

Lil-Rokslider
Free speech has been referenced in this thread numerous times and I think it should be pointed out that free speech under the 1st Amendment has limitations/exception as defined by the Supreme Court which are certainly applicable to many of the decisions we have seen by some of these companies. For instance any speech that is used to incite actions that would produce imminent lawless action and/or harm to others is not covered under the 1st Amendment. In addition openly threating to kill the Vice President is not only illegal but also not protected as Free Speech. I personally don't have any problem with Amazons/Apple decision on Parlor, and especially with Trump being banned by Twitter as it was clearly evident that both platforms were being used to incite and organize the idiots that assaulted "our" Capitol building.

FYI - I am not on Facebook, but not because of there censorship policies, I just think its a waste of time.

I guess it’s ok for blm and antifa to organize their riots I mean mostly peaceful demonstrations on Twitter and Facebook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Free speech has been referenced in this thread numerous times and I think it should be pointed out that free speech under the 1st Amendment has limitations/exception as defined by the Supreme Court which are certainly applicable to many of the decisions we have seen by some of these companies. For instance any speech that is used to incite actions that would produce imminent lawless action and/or harm to others is not covered under the 1st Amendment. In addition openly threating to kill the Vice President is not only illegal but also not protected as Free Speech. I personally don't have any problem with Amazons/Apple decision on Parlor, and especially with Trump being banned by Twitter as it was clearly evident that both platforms were being used to incite and organize the idiots that assaulted "our" Capitol building.

FYI - I am not on Facebook, but not because of there censorship policies, I just think its a waste of time.

You seem to think that these tech companies are “acting in good faith.” What if they weren’t? How would you know? If governments, tech, NGOs, etc etc were engaged in Bolshevik/Maoist revolutionary behavior, how would one know? Suppression? Tearing down statues and cultural artifacts? Punishment for wrong-think? If Bolshevik/Maoist style revolutions were occurring, what should the appropriate response be? Nothing?

I guess it’s ok for blm and antifa to organize their riots I mean mostly peaceful demonstrations on Twitter and Facebook.

The very double standard why I deleted my account. You also have cheap politicians that have sold their soul communicating on these SM platforms that stir up their voting base.

Pretty much everyone probably recognizes that Trump was a loose cannon on SM, but when a mainstream media won't do their job and just report news and does nothing but attack, it's no wonder certain things were said.

Then the clapping seals cheared on the adolescent actions of a certain House member with no recourse...

The very double standard why I deleted my account. You also have cheap politicians that have sold their soul communicating on these SM platforms that stir up their voting base.

Pretty much everyone probably recognizes that Trump was a loose cannon on SM, but when a mainstream media won't do their job and just report news and does nothing but attack, it's no wonder certain things were said.

Then the clapping seals cheared on the adolescent actions of a certain House member with no recourse...

What if these politicians (on both sides) weren’t “cheap” but actors in a bigger play of 4th gen warfare? Mitch Mcconnels wife sure seems to be close to the CCP. Diane Feunsteins husband sure seems to be close to CCP. Obama was happy to sell off port of LA to CCP. Both sides in DC seemed to be hands off of BLM. Why does a convicted Bolshevik terrorist like Susan Rosenberg (who literally bombed the Capitol with her M19 buddies) sit at top of a social justice group that burns the country down...and then these DC politicians take a knee??!! I keep going with this stuff.

What if the media was doing its job correctly? What if its just a giant Project Mockingbird Pravda outlet? Etc etc etc yada yada yada

To be clear, im not attacking you or anyone else here. Im just not convinced that what we are seeing is people that are “acting in good faith.” My local library has a stack of history books that makes me believe that acting in good faith is rare, especially when the stakes are high.

These grad students (generals) at Army War College, etc have stained reams of paper with ink talking about “4th gen warfare.” I am troubled by what we have seen over the past 2 decades.

What if these politicians (on both sides) weren’t “cheap” but actors in a bigger play of 4th gen warfare? Mitch Mcconnels wife sure seems to be close to the CCP. Diane Feunsteins husband sure seems to be close to CCP. Obama was happy to sell off port of LA to CCP. Both sides in DC seemed to be hands off of BLM. Why does a convicted Bolshevik terrorist like Susan Rosenberg (who literally bombed the Capitol with her M19 buddies) sit at top of a social justice group that burns the country down...and then these DC politicians take a knee??!! I keep going with this stuff.

What if the media was doing its job correctly? What if its just a giant Project Mockingbird Pravda outlet? Etc etc etc yada yada yada

To be clear, im not attacking you or anyone else here. Im just not convinced that what we are seeing is people that are “acting in good faith.” My local library has a stack of history books that makes me believe that acting in good faith is rare, especially when the stakes are high.

These grad students (generals) at Army War College, etc have stained reams of paper with ink talking about “4th gen warfare.” I am troubled by what we have seen over the past 2 decades.

Cheap politician means they've sold their birthright for a bowl of pottage.

It means they are flimsy and worthless.

bsnedeker

WKR
It has nothing to do with free speech. You aren’t guaranteed free speech on a company platform.

It ABSOLUTELY is a free speech issue...in what way does this not involve the suppression of free speech? I think what you mean to say is it's not a 1st amendment issue because a company does have to abide by the first amendment on their platform. I agree with that. I'm not asking the government to intervene here. I'm saying that those who value free speech should not support these companies. Is your position that we should support them regardless of what they do and whose speech they suppress?

traviswdalton

Lil-Rokslider
For those that recommended protonmail, thanks. Just signed up for an account. It will take a few months to completely migrate.

I set an automatic response to anyone that emails me at my old gmail account letting them know my new ProtonMail email address and why I was no longer using gmail.

Squirrels

WKR
I set an automatic response to anyone that emails me at my old gmail account letting them know my new ProtonMail email address and why I was no longer using gmail.

Good idea. I plan to eventually delete that gmail account....I think.

CorbLand

WKR
These SM companies are interesting. They are private businesses that can determine what is allowed on their sites but they have gotten so big and are such a mainstream source that they almost need to be treated as public entities. They have grown so fast and become so popular, but society has never seen anything like it. Double edged sword.

I rarely got on Facebook and deleted it back in March. I haven't listened to a news broadcast since April. I get all my news on the radio station blip driving to work. Still have an Instagram and really need to cut back on how often I get on there but my sister in laws post on there and I like seeing my nieces and nephews.

Glory

Lil-Rokslider
The problem any social media / forum has it that the kooks show up in big numbers and take over. Look at what has happened to what used to be really good hunting forums. Full of loons and conspiracy theorists now spouting whatever stupid idea enters their head and chasing out the sane guys. I was never in favor of moderation until recently and can actually enjoy the Rokslide.

Facebook is very good for the groups, and due to the format of Facebook, you can see the person and check people out rather than rely on the word of some nameless person on a forum. I am buying a new offshore boat. Getting in a group, then DMing guys who already have the boat for advice on the build is invaluable.

brsnow

WKR
Well then they should require the protections provided to them under a special little piece of legislation called Section 230. But since they have it.....ya, it is about free speech.
You do realize the company has rights and rules as well. It is not a one side conversation.

z987k

WKR
These SM companies are interesting. They are private businesses that can determine what is allowed on their sites but they have gotten so big and are such a mainstream source that they almost need to be treated as public entities.
If only there was a push to do exactly that. I don't know like 6 years ago. By some group of people that make laws.

I read all 8 pages last night.....I am the odd duck it seems.

If I don't spend hours scrolling through either FB, IG or other social media....and I don't receive my news from those sources.....what is major issue with me being connected to friends and associates across the world?

DID watch the Social Dilemma a few weeks ago. Nothing earth shattering. Things I knew or suspected a long time.

Follow Rogan, Rinella, Jack Carr and Half Face on IG along with many US and collegiate wrestlers. This is a BAD thing?