Who has the most updated satellite images?

Maverick1

WKR
Have you tried using google Maps? The satellite view
@jtivat - I have found the most up-to-date imagery is often on Apple's "Find My" app. The imagery there is often more recent than the imagery used in either Google Maps or Apple's Maps, for whatever reason. It does not always render as clearly as the other two, though. In some cases, it does, others not. Just another source to check out.

OP
J

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
gmlcc.jpg
Based off this google map image I would say their data for this area is well over 10 years old. The red area in this photo we started hunting as a five- to six-year-old clear cut 20 years ago. In fact, the green area was re cut two years ago. The red area is now grown and not good for birds any longer we stopped hunting it maybe 6 years ago.

Maverick1

WKR
Do you have a link when I search find my i just get find my iPhone.
It is an app on the iPhone. I imagine you'd have to get it from the Apple store. it is called "Find My" and is used to find other iphone users. You can add family and friends, but don't have to. Just find your location, zoom in and out, and pan around. Only works on iPhone (or other apple devices).

OP
J

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
It is an app on the iPhone. I imagine you'd have to get it from the Apple store. it is called "Find My" and is used to find other iphone users. You can add family and friends, but don't have to. Just find your location, zoom in and out, and pan around. Only works on iPhone (or other apple devices).
Holycrap so you are talking just the iPhone "Find my iPhone" app I have it already and look at this! This is a much newer image why would they not have this on their regular maps program?
Thanks
2023-01-23 18.10.18.jpg

Fullfan

WKR
HuntStand has monthly updated photos.
thats Not true. I just checked Huntstand for my area, It has the same satellite imagery as GAIA. Images are from about 5 years ago.
Click on the attached pics. One is Oct, other is Dec. same location

Attachments

• 574B16A0-1FD9-4E32-857A-4BB7DB4CEDB3.jpeg
    574B16A0-1FD9-4E32-857A-4BB7DB4CEDB3.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 9FC64B4E-50A4-43FF-8738-190F58BB7255.jpeg
    9FC64B4E-50A4-43FF-8738-190F58BB7255.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 30

Maverick1

WKR
Seriously thanks this is a game changer I already found like four promising clear cuts for birds! Very excited for September!
You are welcome! (And, yes, you reminded me, the “Find My” is a default app built into the iPhone.). For whatever reason the imagery is different and more up to date than some of the other mapping applications available. (For some interesting views, use the “Find My” app and pan over to a large city like New York City. The 3D views are quite something!). In any event, have a great hunt this fall. Good luck!

HuntStand has monthly updated photos.

Click on the attached pics. One is Oct, other is Dec. same location
I have no idea what those pics are.... All I know is that everywhere I check in WY on huntstand is they have the exact same images I have on GAIA which is the same images as google maps and they are all at-least 4 years old or older.

Update,,,I think i found what you are talking about. It is called monthly sat or something like that. GAIA has a siimilar feature called freshsat. They are both lower resolution overlays that are updated more frequently but not as clear as the main imagery map overlay.

OP
J

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
I have no idea what those pics are.... All I know is that everywhere I check in WY on huntstand is they have the exact same images I have on GAIA which is the same images as google maps and they are all at-least 4 years old or older.

Update,,,I think i found what you are talking about. It is called monthly sat or something like that. GAIA has a siimilar feature called freshsat. They are both lower resolution overlays that are updated more frequently but not as clear as the main imagery map overlay.
Ya, I think I found that in one of the apps also, but it was so low rez I could not see what I needed.

Fullfan

WKR

I zoomed in on the image, made it blurry. with Huntstand you can pick the month you would like to look at. W GAIA you can only look at current.

Last edited:

grainhog

FNG
Sentinel-2 is an earth-facing satellite-borne multispectral sensor (camera) with a 10 day return interval, administered by Copernicus (EU earth obs space program). Most recent images can be viewed in RBG at a link provided earlier in the thread as well as at

apps.sentinel-hub.com/eo-browser/

It's 10 m resolution, which is coarse relative to what you're used to, but you can pick out land cover changes of any consequence, and it's kinda tough to complain about a free way to view images for anywhere on earth that are at most 10 days old (provided the absence of clouds at the time in question, that is).

OP
J

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
This is another free source of imagery to check out. https://livingatlas.arcgis.com/wayback/#active=11475&ext=-115.32094,35.98162,-115.21451,36.16477

Definitely check that box that says "only versions with local changes".
That is cool but depending on the area it is not correct. For instance, at my home, it is more up to date the "Find my" but in the example I used above it never shows the clearcut area. It shows an image for 01-06-2022 but it is not correct or any different than the other previous images.