Who has left GAIA and what did you switch to?

***Please, only looking for answers from former GAIA users***

I have loved using GAIA for 6+ years. The immense layer library, the customization of layers and shading and all that has been great. It lacks some features of hunting specific apps but made up for that with the others. BUT, it has been buggy as hell the last month with several different issues, and the whole public data by default thing isn’t right either. But the main thing is I can’t trust it anymore for backcountry navigation so it is time to switch.

I’ve used OnX for Missouri deer hunting for a couple years but have just never really liked the interface and the satellite imagery is poor. My elk hunting friends use it, and every time they try to show me something on their phone I am reminded how I don’t like it. BaseMap is the only other app that I know of using Google Earth imagery (GAIA doesn’t by default but can be added as a custom layer). I’ve played with it some, and it seems to check most of my boxes…only thing it doesn’t have is crop layers but I can get those elsewhere the limited times it’s needed.

The one thing GAIA has that I can’t find anywhere else is cell phone service maps, which have come in handy multiple times, and could be important in case of an emergency.

So what have you former GAIA users switched to?

wapitibob

WKR
Partner switched to basemap then gaia, then back to onX once he upgraded his samsung and onX fixed (seemingly) their too many waypoints issue. He was shed hunting and had hundreds of waypoints and tracks, which would lock up the phone. That was a non issue on an iphone.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
I moved from Gaia to OnX and have been happy. Sounds like you already know OnX is not for you though. I find the OnX interface to be more usable personally. I don't use satellite image layers often though.