Who has ditched the trusted Nalgene bottle?

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't used a Nalgene in 20 years. I followed Ray Jardine's advice and just use spring water bottles. I use them a few times and then recycle them and get new ones. They weigh a fraction of the weight of the Nalgene and are nearly as indestructible. I've never had one break and have carried them mountaineering in some pretty inhospitable areas.

K_Wells

FNG
I usually pack along a smart water bottle with a sport cap for drinking. The sport cap doubles as a back up cap for my Kathadyn BeFree filter. I will also carry an extra smart water bottle or a collapsible Platypus 1l bottle that I can roll up when I don’t need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
I have gone back forth with this. Last two years in the cold temps it’s been worth the weight, no question. Heat up boiling water before bed and fill the Nalgene, put that in your quilt/sleeping bag and it’s a heater all night!

sumanum

FNG
I use a supermarket juice bottle to filter into and carry it inside my pack, and a Gatorade bottle on the outside pocket that I refill from the juice bottle. A 2L Coke bottle would work okay too, a little heavier, but if you're in a place where it's a long way between fill up points then you will need it.

All these years later and still using a combo of bladder and Nalgene bottle. Bladder gets dropped for late season hunts when the mouthpiece freezes. I like the wide mouth bottle with the human gear lid but have picked up the ultralight bottle and the canteen bottle to see how they fit in the gear rotation as well. Always have one in just in case the bladder leaks. I also like to have 32oz of water if I can at night and leave the bladder in my bag all ready to go. Then I have some to drink in my tent and for cooking in the morning. Saves some time and hassle of using the water bladder to fill the pot for boiling water. I use a msr dromedary bag for camp as well to save time /energy for grabbing water when a water source isn’t close. My water routine (and food) is one of the things I really haven’t changed much in almost 15 years.

BarCO

Lil-Rokslider
I have come back to the Nalgene after about 5 years trying everything else.

FlyAK

FNG
I used to carry a 1L and a 1.5L nalgene but I ditched the larger one due to weight. It got replaced by a 1.5L smart water bottle. I would replace my 1L nalgene, but, like others have said, use it for hot water in the sleeping bag on cold nights.

Mosby

WKR
I have gone back to a Nalgene bottle when I am packing in and staying overnight. When I am in a tent the glow in the dark Nalgene goes with me. Easy to find my bottle for a drink in the middle of the night.. For day hunts I bring light weight water bottles.

Last edited:
I like my Nalgene bottles with the hardside drink hose attached. It worked very well last year.

Prior I used Nalgenes with better lids. So easy to clean and drink from.

Zaubr306

FNG
Water bladder and single skin stainless steel bottle. I try to stay away from plastics but there isn’t a better way for a large supply like a bladder. Steel bottle also works well with warm water on those colder nights.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Bladder and gatorade-like bottles for me now. I don't like the super light water bottles as they tend to crack and make a lot of noise when not full. The heavier gatorade or juice bottles are still very light but quiet.

I use the 1 liter Smart bottles, 1 on the shoulder strap and two in the bag usually. They fit width wise in an Exo 4800 perfectly.

Swamppirate

Lil-Rokslider
Used these in the military. They work very well

Attachments

• 2F122E42-B3FE-477A-836E-D71083188AEC.jpeg
    2F122E42-B3FE-477A-836E-D71083188AEC.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 54

mcseal2

WKR
I sometimes use a Nalgene with a dual opening lid. I like that I'm not drinking from the same threaded part of the Nalgene I put in the water to re-fill before I use the Steripen. Probably not a big deal, but it is a simple thing to be a little safer.

I'm often carrying a Vargo titanium BOT instead of a Nalgene, or in addition to 1 Nalgene if I need to. It's more versatile as it's a metal container to cook in as well as a water carrier. It's the same weight as a Nalgene so no penalty there. They aren't cheap, but it fits for me.

It doesn't fit in a pack side pocket as well as a Nalgene so I often pair it with a Smartwater bottle or second Nalgene depending on the trip.

dodido

FNG
Not a weight savings, but I am going back to stainless bottles. My hippie side is tired of drinking chemical from plastics.
I'm a huge stainless guy too. There are some cool lightweight titanium bottle options out there that I've been eyeing up, but they are $$$$.. (ie Snow Peak Aurora)