Who has ditched the trusted Nalgene bottle?

Elite

WKR
I am wondering who has completely ditched the Nalgene bottle? I always take one and a water bladder but I weighed the Nalgene and it was 6.5oz. I didn’t realize they were that heavy. I also weighed a smart water bottle which seems like a heavy duty bottle. But I do enjoy the wide opening on the Nalgene for gathering water
9f3bc447d37b4154ab6c687e15c84d0c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bracer40

Lil-Rokslider
Been using the same Smart bottles since last year. Use my dirty bladder to capture water. Or go lighter and ditch the bladder/filter for a Sawyer.

colonel00

WKR
Having a bottle can be great for adding in drink mixes. Be it just flavoring, recovery mix or even a mix to go with some alcohol, a bottle is nice to have.

Now, a bottle, for me at least, can have a downside as I tend to drink a lot more from a bottle. When I'm thirsty, I can literally chug a bottle but the resistance of sucking from a bladder slows this down. This can matter when water is scarce.

Regarding the Smartwater bottles, I have seen where other hunters and backpackers have gone that route. It does make sense as they are still pretty tough, lightweight and cheap(ish). Personally, I still like the big mouth of a Nalgene for adding stuff to it but I also put a Capcap on it to make drinking easier.

FlyGuy

WKR
Ultralight Nalgene is 3.8 ozs. It doesn’t feel right leaving home without it!

Thanks! Just ordered one of these to try. I’ve gone to Nalgenes over the bladders last few years. I mostly like knowing how much water I have left. I also like the steripen set up for water purification on the Nalgene with their pre-filter that fits on the wide-mouth. And, the Nalgene is great for measuring out water for my dehydrated meals. I also keep a smart water bottle in my pack for additional water storage.

You can’t cheat the mountain

Ratbeetle

WKR
Thanks! Just ordered one of these to try. I’ve gone to Nalgenes over the bladders last few years. I mostly like knowing how much water I have left. I also like the steripen set up for water purification on the Nalgene with their pre-filter that fits on the wide-mouth. And, the Nalgene is great for measuring out water for my dehydrated meals. I also keep a smart water bottle in my pack for additional water storage.

Fyi, you can get these on Amazon for 5.99, prime eligible,

I have never carried a bottle and don't see ever doing it. If I want to carry any mixes I have a small pint bladder I can take that takes up virtually no space and weights maybe an ounce.

colersu22

WKR

Does Nalgene make the pre filter?