Who has ditched the trusted Nalgene bottle?

Clarktar

WKR
I like my HDPE nalgenes. They have worked for some many years. Usually I pack a 48oz one and a Gatorade bottle.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

65Grendel

Lil-Rokslider
I run the Nalgene ultralight for drinking and a 48oz Nalgene cantene at camp for cooking. Folding up super small and weighs 2oz.

Jcott948

FNG
Core hydration bottle for me. Has a slimmer squishable quality that fits into pack pouch, but quiet and durable.

Ungainly

FNG
Agree, I always carry a Smartwater bottle, except when it's well below freezing. Then you need something more durable like a Nalgene.

also, when carrying water bottles when it's well below freezing. Keep them upside down. Ice forms on the surface of water. If your bottle is right side up the ice will block the hole. When you store them upside down the ice forms on the bottom. When you flip it over to drink there's no ice in the way.
The liquid water near the screw top threads should also keep the lid from freeze locking.
These are wise words.

s20055

FNG
I just buy the SmartWater bottles and refill. Lighter than all the other options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just buy the SmartWater bottles and refill. Lighter than all the other options.

how they working for you when it's 5 above?

how about with boiling water when you need to stick one in your sleeping bag?

don't throw your Nalgenes out

Mikido

WKR
My nalgene gets slightly soft with a good rolling boil dumped in….cause for concern?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not supposed to dump it in there boiling hot. Cut the stove off and let it rest a minute before transferring to the nalgene

agreed; also what Nalgene are you using? the Tritan ones or the HPDE? The HDPE ones are a little softer to begin with (but a heck of a lot lighter and imho more drop resistant)

I use those gourds you see in the Chinese period dramas. Bonus points in that some of them are magical.

I don't think I've had an HDPE Nalgene that doesn't leak. I'm sure I'm over or under torqueing the lid. Just can't ever get it right. Hasn't been an issue except the sleeping bag thing is not an option.

JoeDirt

WKR
I don't think I've had an HDPE Nalgene that doesn't leak. I'm sure I'm over or under torqueing the lid. Just can't ever get it right. Hasn't been an issue except the sleeping bag thing is not an option.
I run the Cap Cap lid on my HDPE Nalgene's, Ive not had one leak yet and I torque them on pretty tight.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
never a leak w/ my HPDE lids (the ones that come with it)- that's w/ weeks and weeks (and weeks) of use

I tighten them pretty firm, but don't reef them down- no need

Rock-o

WKR
In my limited, adult backpacking career I've only used a 3L Camelback bladder. It works. Though when filling (it hangs *inside* (burried) my Kifaru Hoodlum) I'm always thinking of alternatives.

skindroid

FNG

SmartWater bottles paired with a Sawyer filter have worked well for me on solo backpacking trips - it's not the perfect answer but it works pretty well at checking multiple boxes.

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
Used to run 3 platypus soft bottles...about 3oz to hold 6L.

Now run one Smartwater bottle and two Evernew soft bottles...4oz to hold 5L.

Also this provides nice redundancy should one bottle fail.

If I fill the 3L 'dirty' bag from my filtration system, I can carry ~8L in places where water is scarce.