Who has been in on a double?

mtmuley

WKR
Awesome pic. Love bull elk hitting the ground in deep snow.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
An elderly friend of mine that just got back into elk hunting killed one of those bulls. Obviously, I killed the other. He used my Ruger tang safety 77 in .243 and a Core-Lokt bullet. Luckily, we accessed some private property which made retrieval a bit easier. My buddy had a heart attack two days later. Glad it didn't happen on the mountain. mtmuley

mtmuley

WKR
Sorry, off topic, but jonboy reminded me of this bull with his deep snow comment. I cut this guys track in deep powder right after the snow stopped. He still has the snow on his head. When I started he headed for some really thick timber and I figured I had a really good bull on my hands. He isn't, but the snow and the tracking made him worthwhile. 4 and 1/2 miles from the truck. I'll always remember this one. sorry to the op for derailing. Shoulda started a deep snow bull thread. mtmuley
55781-6c27b628e917e8672b42bab953bad659.jpg

squirrel

WKR
The painful ones are when you are alone and get a double. If you can butcher two elk and not have tired hands you have on hellova handshake I bet!

I've been dumb enough to do it three times and never plan on doing it a 4th.

All of these were well over 5 miles from the truck so the follow up days were a blast as well!

These are the last two, of course I have said that before...

IMG_1650.JPGIMG_1654.JPG

cnelk

WKR
Definitely busy times when you have 2 elk down in September.

But there’s nothing better meeting up with your buddy with bloody hands and telling him we got work to do :) 1C3C8ED5-B441-48D1-9E88-5C6088769F0B.jpeg

tntrker

WKR
My friend and I took our 1st elk last fall together. We were on a guided hunt and we spot an Elk for him. We pulled the stalk on the herd, which was mostly bedded down in a draw. We were set up 200 yrds away and waiting for his bull to stand up. When it finally gave a opportunity for a shot, he jerked and under shot with a clean miss. With the bull dropping off the other side, he and his guide take off to top the ridge in hopes of seeing it along the other ridge.
Meanwhile, another guide and myself go back to put a stalk on a bull 2 1/2 miles away. As We are hiking out, I hear a shot from my friend and a text a little later with his bull in hand. I pulled off my stalk and we both met back up about 10pm that night.

Attachments

• Montana1.jpg
    Montana1.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 44

mtmuley

WKR
The painful ones are when you are alone and get a double. If you can butcher two elk and not have tired hands you have on hellova handshake I bet!

I've been dumb enough to do it three times and never plan on doing it a 4th.

All of these were well over 5 miles from the truck so the follow up days were a blast as well!

These are the last two, of course I have said that before...

View attachment 94344View attachment 94345
You're cheating with those weird pack animals. mtmuley

I’ve been on two,

Husband and I hunt together and we killed a set of smaller bulls in 2011. Luckily we didn’t have to go very far and had my brother there to help out

And in 2016 my husband and a friend killed two bulls within a few hundred yards of each other. We had a hunting group of 6 people in camp that year and the bulls were 4 miles from the trailhead. Was nice to have lots of help for this pack out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took a double last year on opening day with my dad. I killed a 4pt and he got a 340" bull 45 minutes apart. It was brutal getting both bulls out. Definitely made me wish we had had the horses and trail for better access.

Mike 338

WKR
We doubled on elk one year. Bugled two bulls in two minutes of each other. I'd like to say two feet apart but that wasn't the case. Death march on the way out.

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
It happens more often than not for us during cow hunts. My pickup has had as many as 4 cows at one time. Generally only doubles though. Doubling up on bulls is a far more significant accomplishment. Have yet to do that yet.

BuzzH

WKR
Lousy, but classic, picture from an old 110 kodak camera (anyone remember those?) Montana opening day 1984 my Dad and I both shot bulls out of one herd and the same day our party of 5 hunters, killed 3 mule deer bucks as well. Had everything back to the truck by dark:

buzzelk12.JPG

Gumbo

WKR
Not exactly the same, but a buddy and I have gotten quadruple doe antelope on two different occasions (each shot 2). Makes for a fully loaded game cart...

GeoHunter

FNG
My very first time big game hunting my buddy and I doubled up on cows. We were about 3 miles back, and had both run out of water. I loved/hated every agonizing minute of packing that first quarter out. Went back to town and got help for the rest.

When I was in my 20s, I told my Dad that if he shot something I would pack it out for him. He was hesitant to get too far from the truck, but I wanted him to have a good hunt and not worry about the pack out. I took off, thinking I was a stud, and went way in, lots of miles and altitude.

I didn't see a single elk. I checked in with him on the radio as scheduled at 9:30 am. He had elk on the ground. So, I hiked all the way back to where he was. Turns out he shot 2 cows (had an either sex and a list B cow tag). His buddy also shot a cow out of that herd. Two others in our group connected that morning for a total of 4 cows and a bull down.

I took two hind quarters off of a cow, and hiked to the camp. I dumped the meat and my rifle, grabbed more water, and headed back in. Dad and his buddy were still making their way out with a quarter of a cow each.

By the time they got back, I had Dad's other cow mainly broken down and was getting a drink before starting the next trip out. We were talking and carrying on, with everyone in camp tagged out but me. Then a bull and two cows walked out at 75 yards and stopped broadside. Between us and camp.

Dad handed me his rifle, and I rested it across some of the meat from his cow. As I started to squeeze the trigger on the bull, Dad said "it hits a little high". I asked "how high" and couldn't get an answer to if it was an inch high or a foot high. The bull wandered off. Probably a blessing in disguise. I packed elk well into the night.

I got my cow 4 days of hard hunting later. (also had an either sex tag but was holding out for a bull).

Oregon

WKR
Pretty common for Roosevelt elk.
Had one year me and 4 buddies tipped over 5 bulls within 30 seconds.
Last year, me and 2 complete strangers tipped over 3 within 1 minute of each other.

UtahJimmy

WKR
Last fall I shot my bull and cow out of the same herd. Buddy and I packed the cow out in 1 trip, which sucked, then came back the next morning with reinforcements. I told my buddy I'll try not to do that again when we are 4 miles from the truck... but I probably will!!!

TRIPLE

Lil-Rokslider
I was part of an 8/8 day on bulls about ten years ago, four of us went 4/4 in one group first thing in the morning. That afternoon I met some of my relitives and got on another group and they went 4/4. Pretty epic day......zero man hugs.