Who else uses AllTrails to E-scout?

Bachto

WKR
Anybody else use Alltrails when e-scouting? If you don't here is why you should:

- The obvious one is you can get trail data like how rough it is and when it was last maintained.
- You can tell how crowded a trail might be based on the amount of reports a trail has. especially useful during elk season when hiking season is still in full swing.
- My favorite reason is hikers LOVE posting photos and you can get some pretty good intel about the country. Some even post pictures of game like deer and elk.

I live in Washington and we have a trail association that posts reports about trails as well on their website.

Try it out, it might just help.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
my wife jus tshowed that to me this weekend (she's a big hiker person). and it looked good. LIke you say, hunters hide photos, hikers blast them out.

(thinking about deleting this thread for that reason lol)

If I’m going into a new area I always check it to see where the popular “top 10” type trails are, then cross those areas off my list. It’s a good tool to tell where your recreational pressure will likely come from.

I use other hiking websites to get ideas on berries and wildlife encounters. Advanced google search is awesome. Doesn't work well on Alltrails though because of their website format. Also, if only there was a way to filter out those dang national park trail reports...

Jethro

WKR
I use it. Have gotten some useful info from it. Trailhead access, trail tips that may save some time/headaches, or even learning that a trail that's supposed to be there is grown closed and can't be followed.

grimm158

FNG
I love AllTrails - use it all the time. I haven't even thought about paying attention to the pictures though.. I mainly use it to supplement the trail info that's on OnX. Great idea!

JohnnyB

WKR
I love AllTrails. Hikers let me know when the snow has melted enough to get up my trail cams and change batteries. They also give out great information on bear sightings.

Bonesauce

FNG
I use Alltrails for all of my scouting and hunting. It's also easy to export my tracks KML to google earth from their website. Been keeping this a secret so they don't raise the price.

Haha I just started doing the same. Hikers love sharing the wildlife they saw and what time of year. I was hoping this wasn’t a well known thing.

all trails has tons of great info, another hot tip for non hunting resources is cornels birding location tags for turkey/upland

Have been using AllTrails quite a bit as i decide which drainages I plan to (start my) hunt around a specific mountain. Most drainages in this area have a lengthy hiking trail going up from the bottom on OnX, so supplementing what I'm seeing eScouting with what is being said about the trails Aug-Oct is beneficial.

I don't plan on using the trails much, but they do give good insight in to the terrain, areas, and hiking activities.