Who else hunts with a sub 8lb magnum rifle?

I have a tikka 338 wm that is 6 lbs bare weight. But then there’s the reliable rings and scope, and suppressor and it’s almost 9 lbs. The extra 2 lbs (more than stupid light rings and scope and no suppressor) is well worth its weight.

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
I don't qualify for under 8 pounds....I did buy a 300WM this year and rebarreled a 30-06. Trying to keep the WM at 10 pounds or less (just the barreled action is pretty stout). Have to see which one wins the accuracy, dependability tests for this years hunt. It will be one of them though.

Even the messiah here has said - if you can shoot an optimized 300 WM it takes killing to a whole 'nother level. So I am going to go in that direction....

Good luck to all!

Unckebob

WKR
I just got back from a range session where I tried out my new Browning Mountain Pro in 6.8W without a brake or a suppressor. It was very unpleasant. The brake is going back on until I get the correct direct thread adapter from SilencerCo.

It is 6.2 pounds empty with lightweight Talley rings and a 12.6oz scope not adding much more.

Last edited:
Congrats on that A7. Was looking at one of those myself but they seem non existent these days (at least with the rough tech stocks). I built an ultralight all carbon tikka in 300wsm. Probably 7.3lbs max with razor LHT. The brake on it makes it recoil less than my son’s 6.5 creed. On the same note, I shoot my heavy 7rem mag way better. The 300wsm will throw a flyer once it heats up but it’s great for western style mountain hunting for elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dennis

WKR
7 1/2 lbs.- 300 WM Custom Remington 700 Brown Precision Stock with no brake & Swarovski 2-10 scope
8 lbs. - 300 RUM Borden Timberline with brake & Swarovski Z5 3.5-18 scope
7 1/4 lbs. 350 Rem Mag Remington 600 in Brown Precision Stock with Leupold 2-7 scope

Sounds painful if you want to do any sort of load development. If you're shooting sub 20 rds a year and only use 1 box of ammo to get full sight in.. Probably not so bad. My gun as a few accessories on it and is 11# kitted out. The extra weight helps it stay on target so follow up shots aren't an issue

I have one that is right around 8# all up but I doubt it'll see duty as anything but a backup or loaner anytime soon. Used it more than any other rifle for a handful of years but just prefer other options that get shot a lot more now.

Christensen Mesa fft 6.5 prc, kahles 3.5-10x50, Hawkins featherlight rings. 7.3# hunting weight. If I add my suppressor it's 8# even and incredibly soft recoil, with just a muzzle break its still has quite a bit of jump due to the light/short barrel, not bad recoil but fast rotation so it can be challenging to be accurate. Honestly can't see wanting anything lighter even in a 6.5, just too difficult to be accurate.

I use an HCA modified all carbon tikka in 300WSM with 180g nosler accubonds. The rifle itself is super lightweight but with the brake, it recoils less than my son’s 6.5 creed (Rem mountain rifle ss). It’s not the most accurate rifle I have but it’s specifically an elk rifle and I topped it with a Razor LHT that has a custom dial turret so I wouldn’t be scared to take longer shots out to 400-500 yards if needed. Cold bore it shoots fine but after a few shots it’ll start to stray a little. Love the rifle but my next one will be a sako 85/90 just because I hate that I can’t rack the bolt with the safety on.
d679e4bd1937382fb219a78b9ba72c47.jpg