Who else hunts with a sub 8lb magnum rifle?

Marshfly

WKR
400 meter shots where the minimum legal caliber is 270 for an elk size animal? That answers its own question.

My 270 Win is just under 7.5# scoped without the suppressor. No way would I want to shoot a magnum that light.

OP
W
I'm not the most experienced sambar hunter in the world so this is based on what I've observed, as well as what I've been told by many others.

The Asiatic deer just seem to be a little tougher than the European deer, but sambar especially. They are reported to soak up a hit much better than other deer and run much further with a fatal hit. People talk about them in a similar way to some of the African plains game in terms of how they just seem to be tougher.

That, combined with tracking them being reasonably difficult (compared to other animals) because of the country they live in. I always struggle with blood trailing as I'm red/green colourblind anyway.

400 meter shots where the minimum legal caliber is 270 for an elk size animal? That answers its own question.

My 270 Win is just under 7.5# scoped without the suppressor. No way would I want to shoot a magnum that light.

Of course. I'm not saying it can't be done, and I've never said it can't be done. I mentioned earlier I've killed more than my fair share of medium game with .222, .223 and .22-250 rifles as well (and some with a.22lr and .17hmr) so I'm not really one of these people who always believes more is better. At the same time, as mentioned before, while plenty of people do it with a .270 or .308, most sambar hunters believe proper sambar rifles start at .30-06.

This discussion wasn't started because I need to be convinced either way in a particular direction. I am/was just interested in how many people are shooting a decent magnum calibre out of a rifle that's considered fasirly light.

I guess part of my thoughts on this is the fact that if I'm going to have a .300WM for the sake of more energy and potentially increasing my effective range, I should practice out further more often, and maybe consider a rifle that's more suited to longer range shooting.

Marshfly

WKR
I'm not the most experienced sambar hunter in the world so this is based on what I've observed, as well as what I've been told by many others.

The Asiatic deer just seem to be a little tougher than the European deer, but sambar especially. They are reported to soak up a hit much better than other deer and run much further with a fatal hit. People talk about them in a similar way to some of the African plains game in terms of how they just seem to be tougher.

That, combined with tracking them being reasonably difficult (compared to other animals) because of the country they live in. I always struggle with blood trailing as I'm red/green colourblind anyway.

Of course. I'm not saying it can't be done, and I've never said it can't be done. I mentioned earlier I've killed more than my fair share of medium game with .222, .223 and .22-250 rifles as well (and some with a.22lr and .17hmr) so I'm not really one of these people who always believes more is better. At the same time, as mentioned before, while plenty of people do it with a .270 or .308, most sambar hunters believe proper sambar rifles start at .30-06.

This discussion wasn't started because I need to be convinced either way in a particular direction. I am/was just interested in how many people are shooting a decent magnum calibre out of a rifle that's considered fasirly light.

I guess part of my thoughts on this is the fact that if I'm going to have a .300WM for the sake of more energy and potentially increasing my effective range, I should practice out further more often, and maybe consider a rifle that's more suited to longer range shooting.
Just use a better bullet from a smaller caliber that will have less recoil and be easier to handle in a light rifle. There is zero difference terminally in a 270, 308, and 30-06. What people believe is patently false and misguided.

ALL people shoot light magnums shoot worse than those same people shooting light rifles that recoil less.

But regardless, why does it matter what other's do? If you are happy with your performance with a particular rifle at your maximum hunting range, roll it. The reality is, a 300WM shot by a 6'5" 270# guy is NOT the same as the exact same rifle shot by a 5'8" 175# guy.

Tons of people shot exactly what you have because before we had dialing scopes and rangefinders, speed was necessary for a flat trajectory. That's why magnums exist. They shoot the same bullet flatter. No other reason. Bullets have gotten much better and we can now hit accurately without that flat trajectory.

Just something to think about.

OP
W
No, copper bullets aren't mandated.

I don't disagree with anything you're saying. As I said before, I am just interested to see what other people use and like. I'm quite happy getting the job done with what I have and I'm looking forward to using and trying other stuff in the future. I never said it mattered what others do but I'm still interested. You could also same the same thing for people suggesting a .300WM is a waste and everyone should use something lighter. Why does that matter?

The hunting opportunities are extensive down here. We're lucky that we get to do a lot more shooting and hunting than the overwhelming majority of North Americans, so I like to muck around with different things because it's interesting. This rifle has probably killed somewhere between 200-300 animals, with at least 200 of them being sambar and fallow deer.

z987k

WKR

I've sold every magnum rifle I have. Lightweight magnums are dumb.
I now hunt with low recoiling cartridges and only with suppressors, and all my guns are very lightweight, the heaviest coming in at 6.5lbs scoped and rounds in it.

KenLee

WKR
My x-bolt micro hunter with 56mm Leica and lightweight mounts weighs 8.3 pounds.
I think it's great for hunting anything in the US.

DustyCogs

FNG
My sheep gun is a Kimber ascent wearing a Z3 3-10x42 in .300wm south of 6lbs. Not the most fun at the range but great to carry and I don't notice the recoil in field.

Macintosh

WKR
Bless your hearts you lightweight magnum people, and may God have mercy on your brachial plexus. Im not man enough to want that, give me a 10+ lb gun every time if its chucking a bullet that big, that fast.

KenLee

WKR
Bless your hearts you lightweight magnum people, and may God have mercy on your brachial plexus. Im not man enough to want that, give me a 10+ lb gun every time if its chucking a bullet that big, that fast.

It's OK, the Surgeon can release the nerves when he does the shoulder replacement 😀

jimh406

WKR
Why is 8 lbs the cutoff? Also, not all magnums have the same kick with the many different loads and bullet weights available.

Some people are much stronger built than others and have better technique, better recoil management, recoil pads, suppressor or brake, or simply shoot less.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I shoot a Sako 75 Finnlight in 300 wsm. It weighs 6 5/8 lb bare rifle. It’s not all that fun to shoot at the range but has never let me down in the field.

OP
W
Why is 8 lbs the cutoff? Also, not all magnums have the same kick with the many different loads and bullet weights available.
For no reason other than I happened to weigh my rifle the other day (first time ever) and it happened to be 7.7lb, so I asked the question.

The bare rifle is less than 6lb, as the scope by itself weighs 825 grams (1.8lb).

Choupique

WKR
I qualify, but not by much. Just barely under 8lbs 338 win mag

I shoot everything but squirrels with it. I love that snotty mule kicking SOB. Doesn't shoot all that great, kicks hard, is kinda ugly, kills everything it gets pointed at.