Who Checks Their Zero?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I wondered how many people check zero on their rifles and keep notes about needed adjustments. I'm really bad about keeping notes, but it's something I'm going to try to start doing. Seems like it would be valuable info if we actually had enough data to show patterns as to which scopes are holding zero and which ones aren't.

I'm guessing @Formidilosus is one of the very few people who actually keep track of this.

Tod osier

WKR
I wondered how many people check zero on their rifles and keep notes about needed adjustments. I'm really bad about keeping notes, but it's something I'm going to try to start doing. Seems like it would be valuable info if we actually had enough data to show patterns as to which scopes are holding zero and which ones aren't.

I'm guessing @Formidilosus is one of the very few people who actually keep track of this.

Years ago when a lot of my scopes had gold rings and I had to touch up my zero every range trip, I started just saving my targets for each rifle in a file folder. I print 8 1/2 x 11 targets. Write any notes on the target and slip it into a folder when I get home. Usually I label the shot number on the holes on the target and describe and illustrate what I did with arrows, put a date, ammo lot, etc..

Now that my scopes don't need touched up, still do the same thing.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I don’t write it down. Honestly, never saw any point in it. I’ve never had one lose zero without taking it off the rifle. Maybe that’s why I never thought anything of it.

All of mine over the years have been Leupolds, except one old school Tasco. The Tasco did eventually give up the ghost and I replaced it with a Leupold. No more issues.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I check zero before hunting with any of my rifles but don't keep notes.
Back in my younger years I used to have to adjust zeros from season to season.
Now that I use better quality optics, stocks and firearms my zeros are usually unchanged.
this is me too.

I'm not perfect on checking before every hunt (too many) but I do check it before season and during season. It's only moved once to my memory

huntnful

WKR
I check zero after every hunt and normally do a decent amount of shooting between hunts, and then check prior to each new hunt. I checked zero about 8 times from early September to late November. No zero change from the March FX 4.5-28X52. Basically every time I go to the range, it's 2 foulers from a clean barrel, a zero check, and then I start shooting long. Unless I'm specifically checking my cold bore dirty bore impacts.

Lawnboi

WKR
Check zero and document if it changed.

I might bump it a tenth here and there but since I started shooting more seriously and buying nicer scopes it’s generally more for me than the rifle. I will check before a match or hunt though.

Generally I know I can grab my few rifles and they are going to do what I expect. Took me a while to get there but having something reliable sure is nice.

No written notes; only mental...

Before each hunt I verify zero and also verify that it is "on" out to various distances depending on what I am hunting. For hunting in "wide open spaces" I will verify to at least 550 yards and ideally 1100 (same shooting range but the 1100 is not always available). For hunting in "thicker stuff" I will verify to 300 yards.

Do not have that many "potentially" problem scopes left in my arsenal; hopefully there will be even fewer in 2023.

G37some

FNG
my actual zero dosent change but my rifle has about a half moa cold bore shift strait down. so anytime i go on a hunt i know my first shot will be dead zero and everything else will be half moa low.

I check zero before every season with given firearms. Checked zero in Gillette prior to this fall's hunt in the Big Horn's and glad we did. Rifle was shooting 3-4" left at 100 yards. Not sure what happened, but suspect something happened during the packing process and some environmental impact.

I get too much "what-if" anxiety if I don't check my zero...

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
you all remember the old wood guns with yesteryear scopes. I'd see POI shift like 6" on some checks. Ahh the 90's!
All through the 80's and 90's and some early 2000's I used my 1970's Remington 700 ADL 7mag topped with a Leupold 3x9x40 Vari-XII, and then my Browning A-bolt 7 mag topped with a Redfield Widefield 3x9x40 (or 42) with Accu-trac. The Remington was my saddle gun and I only used it on horseback hunts. I don't remember ever having to reset the zero on either rifle once I had a load set up for them. I'd always verify the zero right before the season each year, and it was always good to go. I sold the Remington about 15 years ago, and sold the Redfield scope about 5 years ago. I liked that scope, but compared to some newer scopes it was like wearing sunglasses looking through it. I sold it for what I paid for it years before.

rclouse79

WKR
I know I should, but I can’t bring myself to check zero on my 20 gauge savage 220 based on $5 a round and the fact it is hard to even find more to buy. I checked it this year on a cow elk. It is still on.