Who carries a pistol?

Snyd

WKR
I wasn't trying to suggest we go with some new fangled device. I thought that this .410 shell would be a good way to solve the problem of not being able to accurately put the pepper spray on the bear because of lack of practice or winds. It seemed like an improved delivery method. It also blends your handgun with your bear spray so you don't have to switch hands.

http://www.conceptsinammunition.com/Shotgun_Products/410ga.htm

"Pepper Defense

Name says it all with this round. Our special pepper formula packed inside a 410 gauge shell. Propells a cloud of pepper mixture up to 25 feet into your intruder providing the neccessary time to seek a safer location."

I'd call that ammo some new fangled device. First off, it's designed for home defense. 2 legged critters. I'd not use it for that either. If I determine I need to use deadly force (pointing a loaded firearm in someones general direction is the legal definition of deadly force) then I intend to stop the threat and possible kill when I pull the trigger. I live in Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground state. I don't have a legal obligation to attempt to retreat before I defend myself. If I have to pull the trigger on someone (Heaven forbid). It's gonna be a bullet or two to center of mass. Same with a bear.

In regards to a 410/45 Colt handgun for bear defense. As far as I've been able to ascertain, the Taurus guns cannot handle the Ruger Only 45 Colt loads which is what one needs for bear. Or should use anyway. That's what will get you a heavy slug, 300-350gr at 1200fps and penetrate clear through the critter. BFR, before they where BFR, D-Max I think, made a .410/45 Colt gun that could handle them. I'm one of those guys that thinks the Taurus Judge is a newfangled device as well.

I come back to the handgun hunters perspective. Get a handgun and load that will do the intended job and then learn to shoot it and shoot it a lot.

Last edited:

desertcj

WKR
Would a 44 mag be enough in a pinch? All I've got now is a 357, but I've only got the potential to run into cougars or black bears in CA.

Daniel_M

WKR
Would a 44 mag be enough in a pinch? All I've got now is a 357, but I've only got the potential to run into cougars or black bears in CA.

44mag was the standard, go to caliber for many, many years here in Alaska....until the 454, 460 and 500's came around. Now everyone thinks you hafta carry a cannon that 90% of them can't even shoot. lol