Who all likes to rodeo?

My dad and Grampaw were world champion saddle bronc riders. I started mutton bustin too. Dad split when I was about 10, mom moved us in to to town, and I got in to baseball and football, so I never really had the opportunity in my youth to advance in to real rough stock events.

Last year at 38yrs old I finally got on my first saddle bronc horse at a place out in California. They have a school out there and I’ve been on about a dozen horses so far and plan on going to a couple more schools this year in Oklahoma and Louisiana. I really wish I could have had these opportunities 20yrs ago.

The California school is $1000. The Oklahoma place is about $300 and Cody DeMoss puts on the one in Louisa for free.

At least expose them to it and give them a chance. I wish I’d had it.
What Oklahoma school?

Totally random question, for no reason at all.

I was raised in suburbia, so really the only rodeo I got to see growing up was on vacation. I remember chasing the sheep with the ribbon on its tail, I think, in Casper or Cheyenne, may have been Cody. I married a farm girl from a town with a strong cowboy history and our boy (now 7) managed to get in 3 rounds of mutton bustin before he got too heavy, even though one year was a bust due to COVID. This weekend our 4 y/o daughter got her first ride and she got second place!

I'm curious, does anyone engage their kids in rodeo after the mutton bustin phase? My wife and I are on the lookout for an individual sport for our son, had discussed wrestling and karate, but wanted to consider rodeo as well. We're after something that will challenge him in a variety of ways, ultimately with the goal of developing more resilient kids.

What say you? What have your experiences been, good bad or indifferent? Thank you for the input.
I love to watch,but never had any itch to do any of it. Funny thing is my grandmother is in the rodeo hall of fame back in Oklahoma. No one followed her footsteps.

I used to be able to ride the hair off of anything! Now they call me ole crippled up Jack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BluMtn

WKR
College rodeo, Bulls. To tall, so decided rather than riding them I would stand in front of them. Did that for several years and was a little to slow one night and got hooked under the chin and laid out cold. Retired after that. Still attend a lot of the big ones. It is truly a professional sport now if you want to be serious about it.

I don’t remember the name of the school but it’s at white oak arena outside Vinita Oklahoma the first or second week of November.
Which is just totally inconsiderate of my deer huntin.

grfox92

WKR
I live in Cody so rodeo is part of life here.

My good friend just finished a full scholarship for bull riding. He also just had a hip reconstruction at the age of 22.

With everything coming out about CTE, even in High School football players I won't let my son play football, and I probably wont be having my kids riding bulls or Broncs either.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
Dos Perros
I appreciate the responses...I knew we had some hard dudes on this site and it's pretty cool to hear you guys tell your stories.

I hadn't really thought about the costs...how much could it cost to put your kid on a calf and have him fall off? I'm being a little sarcastic, but hadn't really thought about events like roping. Definitely not ready to jump into owning horses and all that comes with it. I was thinking more the rough stock events, and probably only until he gets to high school age. Get his butt kicked a bit, get dirty, help maintain the animals, clean stalls, help his pals (and make new pals!), whatever that all entails. A certain change of pace from playing soccer on a cushy artificial turf surface, half the time in an air conditioned space. I would expect by high school age he would specialize in just one thing...that's probably the only way to get to even make the team around here, sports are just really competitive.