Who all let’s there barrels cool between different loads?

Elite

WKR
I recently bought a proof research carbon barrel and curious who lets there barrel cool between shooting different loads while developing a new load? Will the heat affect grouping on a quality barrel? I know on my cheaper barrels it has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
To an extent.

If 10 rounds causes problems on a barrel I’d be thinking about a new one.

One thing with carbon, mirage can become and issue, so keep an eye out because that can have an effect on your point of impact.

G37some

FNG
when developing a load i will load up 4 of each and then shoot 1 round from each powder charge from lowest to highest and then let the barrel cool. then i will do the same thing but do it from highest to lowest. once you have this data you can see how stable your charges are while the barrel is heating up

Harvey_NW

WKR
I do for 10 minutes or so. I even built a hi flow barrel fan out of a portable air mattress pump, really don't notice any drastic difference in cooling time. Just an annoying fan motor running. I honestly think my fluted steel barrels cool faster than my carbon.

Depends on several factors to me.

If it’s a mild cartridge like 308 based cartridge I’ll usually do 5 round strings between cooling.

If it’s a magnum of any kind, I’ll shoot 3 round strings max.

Also depends on which powder. If it’s a cool powder like H1000, I’ll shoot a few more between cool offs.

Heat won’t cause much stringing with a heavier barrel but it will absolutely eat up throats and rifling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Vern400

WKR
308 shooter. I'll take 5 shot strings taking my time I'll cool at least until it's comfortable to grip the barrel. Hot soaking a cartridge makes more difference that a warm barrel on a well built rifle. Don't chamber til you're gonna shoot. RL15 can flatten primers if u do. And nothing is wrong except letting it cook. Messes up ES!

CRJR45

WKR
I do for 10 minutes or so. I even built a hi flow barrel fan out of a portable air mattress pump, really don't notice any drastic difference in cooling time. Just an annoying fan motor running. I honestly think my fluted steel barrels cool faster than my carbon.
I did the same with a Ryobi 18 volt inflator , some guy complained about the noise at the range .
But I try to take two rifles and alternate between them , one cooling with the blower while I shoot the other .
Mostly I just want to know how it shoots on a Cold/cool barrel .

When my brother tests the loads I make for him he puts up four targets. Shot 1 load 1 goes into target A. Shot 1 load 2 goes into target B. On through target D. Then start over.

Five minutes between shots, less if it’s cold at the range.

I don’t do this but he finds comfort in it. I make fun of him while he does it.

P

SDHNTR

WKR
I sure do. As much to protect against excessive throat erosion as to show differences between loads. Magnetospeed also makes a handy dandy little pocket sized barrel cooling fan.

Rich M

WKR
I shoot 3-5 rounds and then the barrel cools.

In FL - usually bring a battery powered fan and set the rifle in the shade where it gets a chance to cool. Have not tried the inflator idea but will now.

Dejhavu

FNG
Don't think there's any such thing, It's cool when its cool no matter the barrel.

My string length and frequency is shot purely based on what I feel comfortable with in regards to barrel life or mirage impacting POA. If a barrel can't shoot well when hot, especially a $900+ carbon one, I don't have the patience to keep that barrel.

Yoder

WKR
I had a Vietnam Marine "sniper" tell me one time at the range that if I didn't shoot my bolt action 300 win mag slower I was going to warp my barrel. From my experience, everyone that talks too much and gives advice at the range was a sniper.

EVO6

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on the caliber for me. I usually test my load groups with a min gap in between shots. And go off barrel feel before I send another load group down range.

I've got a barrel which shoots 2 rounds extremely accurately then opens up to about 1MOA. Shoots hot 1MOA. It's a 16" lightweight custom barrel in .308. The thin suppressed muzzle heats up very fast. When I zero I shoot 2 round groups letting it cool between 'groups'. All my other rifles I shoot 5 round groups.

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
I always start with a clean barrel. I fire one 'fouling round' at it's own aim point. I then fire three or five shots for group with a minute or three between shots depending on ambient temperature. I clean after that group and start over, always with a fouling round fired into it's own group. That gives me a picture of what a clean barrel accuracy is vs the fouled groups. I will often take a walk down to the target between groups and number my shots. This adds a couple extra minutes to the cool down time. I will also often lean the gun vertically so that the barrel can draw it's own air thru as it cools.

I typically use either Norma or Winchester PP rounds for fouling as they are far cheaper than the other stuff I shoot. I have found Norma to be the most accurate 'clean' barrel round I've shot, often as good as the more expensive Barnes/Nosler stuff. Currently working with a great 7-08.