Whistles

fwafwow

WKR
I came across the Wazoo SOS micro whistle for $8. I don't carry a whistle. Does anyone carry one, and if so, which? I searched and didn't find much about this whistle, apart from "buy here" type sites.

If I have a whistle (required in a boat where I am) I have always just used a fox or a storm whistle. Honestly need ear pro to use the dang things. Whistles are not something I have really nerded out about or researched much though.

If I was a true ultralighter I would learn to whistle with my fingers and save 1/4 of an ounce.

Last edited:

TaperPin

WKR
It’s not uncommon for lost people to yell so much at searchers way out of ear shot that they lose their voice. I don’t show off a whistle to my friends or they would make fun of it, but it’s in there - or maybe it isn’t - the first rule of whistles is you don’t admit to having one.

Wrench

WKR
If you're ever lost and have no good way to signal....a whistle helps a lot.

My pard was lost and he couldn't yell or whistle because of hypothermia. He COULD hear my whistle...but was helpless.

He carries one now.

180ls1

WKR
Yes, the Amazon tiny cheapie ones. 1 in my pack and 1 in my bino harness at all times. They are the diameter of a pencil and 1/3 the length. They weigh and cost nothing and you can hear them a LONG way off. I also hand em out at hunting camp.

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
I use the plastic pea less fox 40. All my kids have one attached to their backpacks should we become separated.

87TT

WKR
Funny! I was getting my turkey pack together just today and came across a plastic police type dog whistle and thought, hmmm I should throw that in my pack in case I get hurt and people are looking for me.

Loper

WKR
I’ve got a flat plastic whistle that is lightweight and likely inexpensive. I think I found it in a survival/first aid kit my mom bought me years ago. Now I’m interested in these Fox, Storm and titanium whistles as I’m sure they are probably louder than what I have.

It’s not uncommon for lost people to yell so much at searchers way out of ear shot that they lose their voice. I don’t show off a whistle to my friends or they would make fun of it, but it’s in there - or maybe it isn’t - the first rule of whistles is you don’t admit to having one.
This.

best bang for your buck and weight in terms of signal in the event of an issue IMO. When I am on a “deep” woods adventure, I carry a small kit in my pants pocket that contains a whistle And some other basics.

2muchhp

WKR
Yup, bought an REI brand whistles back in the early 90s. Have never needed it but it stays with me. It's like a few other things, good to have and hope you never need it.