Which TRIPOD???

So, obviously, a tripod ISN'T optics but it is an optics accessory and a VERY important one at that. Being in the market myself this year for a spotter I want to hear from guys on what tripods you are running with your spotter as well as what spotter you are running and why you went with that one.

I have some ideas on tripods: I have been looking at Manfrotto's and Sliks. Help me out guys lets hear about your gear.

Big Sky

Lil-Rokslider
Promaster T525P tripod and a promaster 6110 head. the whole thing weighs 52.8 oz and is very compact.

pronghorn

FNG
I have a Slik 613CF that has been great! I have only used it with a 60mm scope, but it is very solid. It packs pretty small and has twist locks, which I did not think I would like, but have been very pleased with them.

snuffnm

FNG
I have a Manfrotto, Vortex and Gitzo. The Gitzo is by far the best of the three. Extremely lightweight and lifetime guarantee. The MF built very solid but way too heavy. The Vortex is pretty much a POS. I am running the MF 3130 fluid head and it is as sweet as you can get!! Get a good head regardless of the tripod you go with.
Spotter is the Swaro ATS 80. Changed over from the STS 65 about a year ago, angled is a little tough getting used to but so much easier looking uphill and on the neck and back .

I have the vortex high country tripod. Not as rock solid as a carbon fiber gitzo, but for the weight and price it was plenty sturdy for my sheep, moose and caribou hunts. It has stood up to some pretty serious abuse so far and I havent had any problems. Weighs only 2 lbs!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have been using Velbon tripods for the past three years and really like them. My current one is 34 oz and I can even use it standing up in conjunction with my angled spotter. However, though it can extend high it also is very compact due to its twist lock telescoping legs. Its only 13" when stored in the pack too which is quite a bit smaller than most. While most of the time I never need to stand and use a spotter it is nice to have to option on several occasions each season.

Also the twist locks are way nice when it comes to setting up the legs at different heights to use on the side of a hill. Much faster than the traditional fliplocks. Overall they are pretty feature packed tripods at minimal weight and still offering great stability.

OP
Evan Williams
Luke,

What is the price point on the Velbon?

Guys using Gitzo...what are the weights and prices? Not familiar with that brand.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Around $130ish I believe a far cry from the $300-$500 Gitzo wants, granted they are awesome tripods, but I have other toys to buy than a $500 to put my spotter on. I put a Manfrotto ball head on it though instead of the stock panhead it came with. Should have a review of it coming soon......

snuffnm

FNG
I think I paid around 500 for the tripod. Not sure on the weight but I am thinking around 2 lbs + whatever head you top it with.

I have a Gitzo and a Slik. The Gitzo is nicer but a lot more money. With my tripod and head I'm at about 3 pounds and $650 bucks.

I use the Outdoorsmans tripod and head. I really enjoy this light weight setup. The only down fall is with my setup you can not glass standing up due to the height of the tripod.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I like my Slik 340 EZ. It is light, solid, and inexpensive. I put a Manfrotto ball head on it so I could use my Razor without a QR plate.