Which steripen?

I want to try this out in lieu of a filter this year.

What model is best for 4-5 trips a year. 1-2 people?

I am thinking about the classic and not sure what the updated or upgraded versions offer.

I want to try this out in lieu of a filter this year.

What model is best for 4-5 trips a year. 1-2 people?

I am thinking about the classic and not sure what the updated or upgraded versions offer.
Well my friend (casting aside the Aron Snyder leg humper comments) the SterPen Classic is the one Snyder uses and suggests. Ive taken his advice on things from arrow set up to boots and he's been spot on. I'll be running the classic next fall. Good luck on your hunts!

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
I got the Ultra recently but haven't used it enough to say how good it is. Aron Snyder and some reviews spoke of trouble with the Adventurer so I avoided it. I like that the Ultra re-charges off the battery pack I started carrying since I started running my phone as my GPS with OnX maps. Since I carry the fairly heavy battery pack (Dark Energy Poseidon) I went to a headlamp and Steripen that use it too.

BCSteel

FNG
My wife and I switched to using a steripen last year. We chose the adventurer model. Has so far worked flawlessly for about 30 days of two person use. Zero regrets on our choice.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
Classic! But I did buy the new model for doing larger quantities, Quantum or something like that, but haven't used it yet, bought it after elk season.

oldgoat

WKR
Ok. Looking like classic is the move. Thanks.

Plus the classic comes with the pre-filter, and read the instructions for the pre-filter, it's trickier than it looks, took me a very short bit to figure it out, I have a buddy that thought you drank from it after you sterilized.

amp713

WKR
Not to totally thread jack but which is the best rechargeable option? I got rid of everything battery powered but want to run a steri pen this year so don't wanna throw a battery powered thing back into my pack...

ljalberta

WKR
I run the Opti Adventurer. Has worked flawlessly for 2 years now. Others have had issues with them, but I love mine.

The Adventurer (Green and Black) is a gigantic piece of shit that will not work with high mountain spring and runoff that has low mineral content. The sensor that detects when it is in the water is crap; I've gotten it to work at high altitude by adding salt to the water to increase conductivity.

There have been some great deals recently on the Pure+, which has good reviews but I'd warn that the battery is quite small so I'd only go that route if you plan on carrying a charging device for longer trips. The Ultra is the best rechargeable option, but is also expensive.

OP
Desk Jockey
The Adventurer (Green and Black) is a gigantic piece of shit that will not work with high mountain spring and runoff that has low mineral content. The sensor that detects when it is in the water is crap; I've gotten it to work at high altitude by adding salt to the water to increase conductivity.

So does the classic have the same issue? I guess I wasn’t aware that there was a sensor thingy that I had to contend with. I have been a filter with back up iodine guy for a long time.

oldgoat

WKR
So does the classic have the same issue? I guess I wasn’t aware that there was a sensor thingy that I had to contend with. I have been a filter with back up iodine guy for a long time.

They all have the sensor, that's how they know they are submerged in water to start the timer function, if the sensors get uncovered or can sense the water as the one guy alluded to, you have to start the process over.

oldgoat

WKR
Not to totally thread jack but which is the best rechargeable option? I got rid of everything battery powered but want to run a steri pen this year so don't wanna throw a battery powered thing back into my pack...

I don't know if there is one and I don't think if you replaced the batteries with a good set that you would have to worry about replacing them on a normal trip. These things aren't something that will come on and stay on, but they are something you want to put new batteries in, they will discharge over time even if you aren't using the device. They are worth the effort in my opinion

I've used the Classic for two years now with no issues. I also bring aquamira drops as a backup.

frankrb3

WKR
I run the Opti Adventurer. Has worked flawlessly for 2 years now. Others have had issues with them, but I love mine.

Same here. Most of my electronics (headlamp,flashlight) run on CR123 batteries and so does the adventurer. I've used mine a lot over the last two years working as a fisheries technician in the mountains. On average I was probably filtering 3 nalgenes a day for 4 days in a row throughout the last two summers. If I had to replace it I would probably get the classic since it does run on AA and so does my GPS. Either way I have to carry both types of batteries.

They all have a sensor, but they don't all have the same sensor. The adventurer one specifically has a shitty version of the sensor. As far as I'm aware the Classic and Ultra do not have the same issue as Aron uses the Classic and Frank uses the Ultra and both have no issues at high altitudes.