Which steripen?

nickstone

WKR
How is the quantum working for you guys who have used it for a while? I had a classic that died in Idaho this year, and am debating between getting another one, or possibly a quantum- Lots of places have quantums on sale for around 30 buck right now.

Beendare

WKR
Put me down as a thumbs down. I should have known not to trust my water to batteries in the backcountry.

My Sawyer clogged [with a new $45 filter element- scrapping that too]

So I had brought the steripen my wife gave me for christmas ....couldn't get it to work...defective unit I guess. The pills didn't fail.

nickstone

WKR
Put me down as a thumbs down. I should have known not to trust my water to batteries in the backcountry.

My Sawyer clogged [with a new $45 filter element- scrapping that too]

So I had brought the steripen my wife gave me for christmas ....couldn't get it to work...defective unit I guess. The pills didn't fail.
Do you remember what model steripen it was? My classic worked fine for a few years. I killed it by running it over. I always have tabs as a backup too.

moeleo

WKR
I’ve been using a Classic 3 for almost 3 years now I believe. I change the batteries before every western hunting season starts and I use it on most of my hikes and camping trips around him the rest of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dobermann

WKR
Well my friend (casting aside the Aron Snyder leg humper comments) the SterPen Classic is the one Snyder uses and suggests. Ive taken his advice on things from arrow set up to boots and he's been spot on. I'll be running the classic next fall. Good luck on your hunts!

Leg humper!

Just kidding ... sometimes folks seem to forget that Aron built this here house we play in, and has probably inspired more people to hunt, get in shape, and strive to improve their skills and knowledge than he probably knows.

And with the amount of gear he's tested, abused, given away, and re-tested over the years, it's hard to discount his experience, or at least use his suggestions as one's own starting point.

In my own case, I've used some kind of pump system for 20-plus years. I find it hard to convince myself that relying on batteries for such a critical function is a good idea. But each year, I contemplate the Steripen, and when I likely do pull that trigger, my guess it will be the Classic ... and then make up my own mind. :cool:

boom

WKR
I had to go back two years to even look up what model I have. It’s the classic.

I recently used it at 12000+ feet in Peru with zero issues. It was worked hard passed around by 8 of us. My brother did share his Adventure model. Both worked well. No food /water issues.