Which smith to chamber a barrel in 6 PRC?

Schmo

WKR
Classified Approved
After season, I am looking to move from a 6.5 PRC to a 6 PRC. Not a ton of smiths have reamers for the 6 PRC. My first choice would be UM, but I don’t know if they are set up for the 6 PRC. Who did you use, and are you happy?

swavescatter

Pain in the butt!
After season, I am looking to move from a 6.5 PRC to a 6 PRC. Not a ton of smiths have reamers for the 6 PRC. My first choice would be UM, but I don’t know if they are set up for the 6 PRC. Who did you use, and are you happy?

A few of us have had really bad experiences lately at UM, so I'd give them some time to get quality back in check. Great guys but they've been spread real thin with new staff training up.

My first suggestion is to look locally. A good one will source a reamer that meets your needs. Being able to shake a guys hand and hand him your rifle goes a long way in my book.

Where are you located?

Timjohnson11

Lil-Rokslider
Preece Precision in Ogden Utah has a pretty stellar reputation, especially with Tikkas. Not sure on his reamer access here but I'd imagine he has one..

OP
Schmo

Schmo

WKR
Classified Approved
NW Arkansas, so my options are super limited. Only a couple “real” smiths in the area. One I wouldn’t trust it to, and the other is 1-2 years for any work, plus he wouldn’t have that reamer.

Harvey_NW

WKR
I've used Kinport Peak Rifles in ID a couple times now and sent 3 of my buddies his way, and he does great work. He usually has the new high speed reamers on hand as well. This is out of my Tikka 6.5 PRC he touched up and throated out.
Screenshot_20240803_161610.jpg

You could give Black Canyon Customs out of Denver a call. He seems to carry about of different calibers. He’s generally good at referring you to someone else if he can’t do it.

OP
Schmo

Schmo

WKR
Classified Approved
Fisher T&C is another top notch guy, but he doesn’t have the reamer. I’d like to go with a smith that already has it so that I don’t have extra cost

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Did you get tired of 6.5 PRC? I'm about halfway thru a barrel and I'm 50/50 on keeping it around or rebarrelling to 6 Creedmoor or 22 Creedmoor or just going back to 6.5 CM. I haven't looked at 6 PRC.

Something helpful tho:
- Steve Rose, Rose Action Sports
- LRI, Longrifles Inc

Those would be my go-tos.

OP
Schmo

Schmo

WKR
Classified Approved
I’m not in the suppressor game yet, but I also want to get away from a brake because of the noise and blast. The 6.5 PRC has about 20 ft lbs of recoil. A 6 PRC with the 108 ELD-M at 3300 fps would only be 12 ft lbs recoil, and would hold 1800 fps and above out to around 1,000 yards with 3500’ elevation