Which bag

• Sequoia GWS

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Taiga

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Other

Votes: 8 50.0%

• Total voters
While the taiga bag looks good weight and price wise it is supposedly rated to the same temperature but contains 10 Oz less down fill. That is a factor to look at. You aren't comparing apples to apples between these two choices.
Fwiw I was guessing the taiga cloud 9 30 was the closest equivalent to my wm antelope. It has less down but it's 3 oz between those 2 bags. The nice thing about a high quality down bag is they last a VERY long time if cared for properly - which makes spending an extra couple hundred easier to swallow (if you have it!).

I ended up with a mountain equipment snowline a few years ago, I did order a couple less expensive bags and tried them at home before returning them and keeping the mountain equipment. It fit better had better baffles, i liked the verticle baffles to keep the down on your core body area, the hood and neck baffle were more comfortable while in the bag. It was definitely worth the extra cost for the comfort. At the time I didn't think there could be that much differences to a sleeping bag

The beauty of Western Mountaineering bags, aside from USA Made, best zippers, tier 1 quality and best resale value, is the baffles. They run side to side and each baffle is continuous from front to back of the bag.

To adjust warmth you just move the down to top or bottom of the bag by sliding your hand over the baffle. Since they are horizontal, you can tune it by zone from your toes to your head.

With respect to the 10 ounce of down difference between two bags mentioned in posts above. A higher loft down can make up for warmth compared to a lower loft down. Are they comparing the same type of down?

sneaky

"DADDY"
I am not saying synthetic is lighter than down. Nor am I saying it is warmer than down.

I am simply saying that synthetic materials have improved to be lighter and warmer than they used to be. Enough so that many are going with them over down due to other considerations set out above.

Lots of guys these days won’t use down anymore in clothing or sleep systems.
The shell material on WM sleeping bags has a higher waterproof rating than most tent flys do. It's an overblown concern by companies that want to sell you a synthetic bag that has a shorter lifespan, heavier, bulkier. You could seam seal a WM bag and eliminate 99% of it. Down only gets ruined if you do something stupid, like submerge it without having it in a proper stuff sack.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The shell material on WM sleeping bags has a higher waterproof rating than most tent flys do. It's an overblown concern by companies that want to sell you a synthetic bag that has a shorter lifespan, heavier, bulkier. You could seam seal a WM bag and eliminate 99% of it. Down only gets ruined if you do something stupid, like submerge it without having it in a proper stuff sack.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I’ve had a leaky tarp drip on my WM badger all night once while I just slept through it. It never leaked through. I was surprised/impressed.

the hack

WKR
I sleep on my stomach. 5'10", 160. I use the WM Antelope over an Xtherm and have an ultralight bivy sac to pull over for condensation. Switched from 15F Katabatic quilt. Not looking back.

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
Love, love my WM Terralite. It was my first and I ordered it with a 4oz overfill worried it might sleep a little cold—-nope! I now have three WM bags, others for true cold weather hunts, but even then, they are not like most bag mfg’s when it comes to temp ratings.

If looking for a bag for a mountain backpack hunt—especially AK or Canada sheep where hunting late summer to early fall where temps range from below freezing to what feels like spring break in Mexico, give serious thought to something like a legit 5 degree bag. And like others have said, WM fabrics (even microfiber) are seriously water resistant. The kind of temps you’d need a sequoia for you’d likely see more snow/ice than rain/condensation.

all that said, I admit I sleep super warm and like extra room to toss & turn, so the terralite is ideal shape with extra room. For real early season the last few years and high elevation backpacking in Sierras and North Cascades I’ve opted for EE Elevation quilt where I can leave the foot box open however much needed for the temps. Its comfy down to upper teens, if colder than that I have sleep with mid layer on.

My biggest concern about moisture is from me, not the weather outside. Too hot, I’ll sweat all night and sleep like hell.

Cheers and good luck on your bag hunt.

If you want the best bag made, skip the two you are deciding between and get a Western Mountaineering bag In your desired temp rating. The regular bags outer shell has the same if not higher water resistant coating than most tents rain flys. If you want added peace of mind, opt for the microfiber shell. In my opinion, the Gore-Tex shell is overkill for the majority of scenarios.