Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Taiga

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Other

Votes: 8 50.0%

• Total voters

DuckDogDr

WKR
Initially placed this in sleep gear subgroup but this is more of the purpose / this type of hunt why I’m purchasing

Getting a new bag.
Had my heart set on the western mountaineering sequoia GWS for a long time

Recently another member mentioned a Taiga sleeping bag on another post. The Taiga Scheherazade 30 seems to be pretty close into temp range. Is a semi rectangle , supposedly water proof, 1lb less weight and can get it sized for a short fat fella like myself and is more economical

Seems almost too good to be true.
I like everyone else’s would like to maximize my budget, however I have also spent time in the ER on a mid season elk hunt for exposure/ hypothermia after trying one of them hair brained quilt ideas and don’t want to repeat scenario of I’m on a remote fly in / drop hunt.

What’s your experiences . I am wanting to stay with a rectangular / semi rec design vs a mummy . I toss and turn too much, even in my own comfy bed and I like to spread out

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
Both companies make great bags, but sounds like the Taiga checks more boxes for you.

cbeard64

WKR
I have had a WM Sequoia for over 15 years now. 4 sheep hunts, a mountain goat hunt, and several other western hunts and it has never let me down. I am a side sleeper who changes position a lot too. It is extremely roomy yet also super packable and light.

But I have to make sure it doesn’t get wet. This is the only liability of down, but it is a significant one.

I’m not going to change at this stage but if I were in the market for a new bag I would strongly consider one of the new synthetic bags given the advancements they have made with them.

kingfisher

Lil-Rokslider
I too hard my heart set on a western mountaineering bag. While I believe they are made in the US, I couldn't pony up the cost. I ended up going with a Stone Glacier Chinook, 0 degree bag. Not made in the US, but at the time I purchased it (Oct 21) it was one of the more affordable options. It is extremely warm, and the down is well distributed. It is not a true quilt, but I find that there is plenty of room in the shoulders, and even feet area. I don't wake up constricted in it like I do my Sawtooth mummy. Its warm, comfortable, and the price with the discount code made it the right choice for me. I pair it with down pants, and a bivy for long late season Montana ridge top glassing sessions.

OP
D

DuckDogDr

WKR
I have had a WM Sequoia for over 15 years now. 4 sheep hunts, a mountain goat hunt, and several other western hunts and it has never let me down. I am a side sleeper who changes position a lot too. It is extremely roomy yet also super packable and light.

But I have to make sure it doesn’t get wet. This is the only liability of down, but it is a significant one.

I’m not going to change at this stage but if I were in the market for a new bag I would strongly consider one of the new synthetic bags given the advancements they have made with them.
Who are some of the synthetic manufacturers to look at ?

cbeard64

WKR
I am not up to speed on all the choices in synthetic but I know they have come a long way in both insulation and lighter weight since I bought my Sequoia. Back then down was hands down the best option.

One synthetic option I have heard many hard core sheep hunters recommend is the Kifaru Slick bag. I think it would check your boxes. I’m sure others could weigh in with several more options.

Don’t get me wrong the Sequoia has performed like a champ for me. Super light, roomy, and has kept me warm as toast during some times when others with me have been pretty uncomfortable.

So I hate to generalize but, Other then possibly differences in material.
It simply can't be lighter and keep you warm to the same temp.
If its synthetic and lighter, well I really don't believe it will have comparable warmth.

Can't you get the WM in short?

cbeard64

WKR
I am not saying synthetic is lighter than down. Nor am I saying it is warmer than down.

I am simply saying that synthetic materials have improved to be lighter and warmer than they used to be. Enough so that many are going with them over down due to other considerations set out above.

Lots of guys these days won’t use down anymore in clothing or sleep systems.

I am not saying synthetic is lighter than down. Nor am I saying it is warmer than down.

I am simply saying that synthetic materials have improved to be lighter and warmer than they used to be. Enough so that many are going with them over down due to other considerations set out above.

Lots of guys these days won’t use down anymore in clothing or sleep systems.
I did not read what you had said earlier. And was not addressing you.. I was addressing the original poster, the OP is comparing 2 bags.

He says they are supposed to be of comparable temperature rating, but one weights 1 lb less.

And since he says the one that weighs 1lb less is supposedly waterproof. I am to assume its synthetic.
What I'm saying is I don't believe a bag can be 1lb less and actually be good to the same temp.
Especially if the lighter one is synthetic.

OP
D

DuckDogDr

WKR
They are both supposed to be down bags.
The WM sequoia I’m eyeballing is the gortex version vs MF for extra waterproof if that matters

OP
D

DuckDogDr

WKR
So the material is water proof? No way they are seam sealing and putting a WP zipper on a sleeping bag?
From what i under stand the actual cloth is goretex.
But no I didn’t mean to imply the bag is completely water proof as far as sealed seams

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I’ve had my GWS Western Mountaneering bags out in nasty storms both rain and snow. Two years ago in Idaho I got caught in a night storm. 7 hour straight downpour where from the ankles down, the bag was hanging out of the tarp getting wet. It never wet through to the down. Dry inside. These bags are life savers with true temp ratings and worlds best materials.

I have a taiga cloud 9. It’s a good bag but I hate the zipper. It’s not smooth and constantly snagging on the side baffle when you zip up. Can’t compare the WM bag but this may be a get what you pay for situation.

While the taiga bag looks good weight and price wise it is supposedly rated to the same temperature but contains 10 Oz less down fill. That is a factor to look at. You aren't comparing apples to apples between these two choices.

OP
D

DuckDogDr

WKR
While the taiga bag looks good weight and price wise it is supposedly rated to the same temperature but contains 10 Oz less down fill. That is a factor to look at. You aren't comparing apples to apples between these two choices.
That’s kind of what I was thinking.. and the Taiga is a down as is the WM.
Think I’m going to bite the bullet and take the weight penalty for gore fabric bag..
I’ve been wanting a while so figure buy once and cry once