Which rifle should I take on my Alaskan moose hunt in September?

S-3 ranch

WKR
Numbers don’t lie , the prc with some NP is marginal at best, the 6.5cm falls in the inadequacy category IMO
I would buy a CVA scout single shot 35 whelen and sell it after the hunt
any bullet with 6.5 ELD on medium - large game is flirting with disappointment,
the kill power and penetration is incomparable
take a creedmore deer or pronghorn ,caribou hunting
use a 30 cal + on heavy bone and muscle
65FAA97C-9882-43E6-9AF3-CDCA51EE3A08.png

Last edited:
OP
PredatorSlayer
Numbers don’t lie , the prc with some NP is marginal at best, the 6.5cm falls in the inadequacy category IMO
I would buy a CVA scout single shot 35 whelen and sell it after the hunt
any bullet with 6.5 ELD on medium - large game is flirting with disappointment,
the kill power and penetration is incomparable
take a creedmore deer or pronghorn hunting
use a 30 cal + on heavy bone and muscle
View attachment 422290
🤷🏻‍♂️ You place a high value on energy. I don’t.

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
Is there anything that would convince you take a larger caliber or a magnum?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Again, bring whatever makes you happy to hunt with because ultimately it is your trip…
Thus far your scorecard;
Harvested AK moose = 0
Hunted moose in AK = 0
Hunted the area that you plan on going = 0
Anything in common with “locals that hunt with AR 15 = 0
Had encounter with brown or grizzly bear = 0
Going to win “close combat” with grizzly or brown bear with 10mm = 0
Listens to suggestions = 0

Total = 0

Advice from people who have hunted AK moose regularly = Priceless

Any chance that you are a millennial???

Lol.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
In my defense I thought it would be more about the set ups and less about my bullet selection. Truth is I don’t care about anybody else’s opinions on the eldms as a big game hunting bullet. I have a lot experience with them. I was thinking it would be more of a I would take the PRC since there may be long range shots or take the 308 because the short barrel and 1-8x scope will be better for brush busting and the likelihood of you taking a shot past 200 yards is slim etc…or maybe point out some things I didn’t think of. But, this is the internet and you get what you pay for. I have obviously been giving this some thought.

Since I sold my 308, I am likely going to replace it with another ridgeline ti in 308 and that is what I am going to take with the trijicon on it.

You’re going to get killed if a bear charges you while you’re carrying that bolt action rifle.

OP
PredatorSlayer
You’re going to get killed if a bear charges you while you’re carrying that bolt action rifle.
Maybe - but at that point accuracy is more important than cartridge isn’t it? If bear defense if a primary concern an AR10 or 12gauge with slugs seems way more effective than a bolt action rifle. What do I know tho…

#1 - Christensen Arms BA Tactical in 6.5 PRC with a Nightforce NX8 4-32x50. 28” barrel with brake. 10.5lbs with Bipod. 147gr ELDM.

#2 - Seekins Havak 6.5 creedmoor with a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42. 24” barrel. 8.5lbs. 140gr ELDM

#3 - Christensen MPP 308 with a Trijicon Credo HX 1-8x28. 12.5” barrel and weighs 7lbs. Getting 2400fps with 168gr ELDM.

Ignoring the caliber / bullet question, most of these are pretty odd choices for moose guns.

#1 is far less than ideal in length and bulk for typical moose country. I'm sure you could make it work, but it would be a major handicap to snake through the alders and drag through the brush. Moose killing is rarely a precision business, so no gain with all that stuff anywhere I've ever hunted.

#3 swings far the other direction, and would be less than ideal for off hand shots... which are super common.

Of the +/-50 or so moose I've helped bring to camp, I don't recall any that weren't taken from either off hand or kneeling position. Keep that in mind for rifle selection.

That pretty much leaves #2 as the only one resembling a moose rifle in my mind. The bullet question has already been beat to death, so no further comment there.

Yk

To make an apples-to-apples comparison, we need to use the same bullet loaded in factory ammunition and keep all of the environmental and rifle configurations the same.

Hornady Precision Hunter, 178 ELD-X, 2600 fps, 308 Win
Hornady Precision Hunter, 178 ELD-X, 2960 fps, 300 WM

Terminal Ballistics at 250 yards;
308 Win- 2219 fps, 1946 kinetic energy (ft-lbf)
300 WM- 2544 fps, 2557 kinetic energy (ft-lbf)

The kinetic energy for the 300 WM, in comparison to the 308 Win, is an increase of 31.4%

The increased range equivalency, in regards to kinetic energy. Equates to 465 yards for the 300 WM, compared to 250 yards for the 308 Win.

There's more to consider than the diameter and the weight of the bullet.

You appear to not understand the relationship between velocity and terminal ballistic performance. Along with an inadequate understanding of the principles of bullet construction as it relates to the game you're hunting.

For example; I hunt Coues deer in Sonora Mexico with 30 cal Hornady ELD-Match bullets and Moose in Alaska with 375 cal Barnes LRX bullets.

It's important to select the correct tool for the job. Small calibers and frangible match bullets are not the correct tool for hunting heavily constructed bull moose in Alaska.
This information would suggest the 308 would be fine to 250 yards. Just as a very accurate shooter with a 300 wm would be willing to take a 500 yard shot on a moose. The two have the same bullet with the same velocity at impact.

I also want to point out that with a lower impact velocity, penetration is actually usually greater. This would be key with a more frangible bullet. Of course a magnum shooter has learned to avoid those. But these would actually perform better from a nonmagnum or at extended range.

Let me also say that there has been far more magnumitis here than reality would support. There just isn’t much difference in effect on game between the above two impacts. The shot placement will make a larger difference.

My final note to the OP is this: if you’re deadset on the ELDm, just make sure the impact velocity is not too high from a short range.

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
No. I don’t think so.
So you asked a bunch of guys on the internet for advice on which rifle to use and included cartridge and bullet selection. But you’ve stated you don’t want advice on cartridge or bullet selection and nothing will change your mind.

You also said you don’t give much weight to the opinion of a bunch of guys on the internet, but you’ve cited a bunch of guys on the internet to back your argument and asked a bunch of guys on the internet for their opinions.

This comes across as either you wanted to start an argument or are not acting in a logical manner. To simplify it, it’s like asking for a cookie and then getting pissed off when you receive a cookie. If you want confirmation or support for your rifle choice (and not receive any dissenting opinions) I think you would be better off posting this in the 223 TMK thread.

I wish you the best of luck with your moose hunt and hope you get one.

The most important factor not mentioned. Moose do not run like Elk. They stand around waiting to be shot again. My Moose aged at 10 years old got shoot twice with my 6.5 CM. But I surely didn't need the 2nd shot.

gbflyer

WKR
The most important factor not mentioned. Moose do not run like Elk. They stand around waiting to be shot again. My Moose aged at 10 years old got shoot twice with my 6.5 CM. But I surely didn't need the 2nd shot.

That’s been my experience too. Also, a person doesn’t have to pull the trigger on a 500 yard 1600# quartering away sausage bull. One can hold out for something younger and/or just wait for the right shot. It’s hunting.

S-3 ranch

WKR
From long range hunting web page 6.5cm moose & elk quote

Not my first choice but with the right bullet put in the right place it'll certainly do the job.

Ballistically it's nearly a twin to the 6.5 Swede which has been killing large game the world over, including moose for more than a century now, since 1894.

Please, just don't go shooting match bullets at them or try punching the shoulder with it and you should be fine.””

I've taken multiple moose with a .243 and a grizz with a .243. The moose were never a problem as I always popped lungs, my old man would of smacked the shit out of me if I blasted one in the shoulder. Now the grizz, that will be the only time I shoot a grizz with 90 grains out of a .243. Spring hunt on snowgos, 4 out of the 5 hits were vitals and he put on quite a show before he died. I'm not recommending a magnum because I think you wont be able to kill a moose with a 6mm, I'm recommending one for when you walk up to your gut pile to get the last load and that grizz explodes out of the alders. Do you want a 6mm in your hands then? I grew up with the guy who shot the number 3 grizz (at the time) with a .308 and got it done, but the bear never knew he was there. I now hunt with a .300WM, not because I think that's the only thing that will take down a moose, but for the bears I bump on accident.

This ^^^^^

Thanks @SaltySailor for saving me lots of 2 finger typing.

Last edited:

alaska80

FNG
People are so emotional on caliber selection, makes me chuckle. Here is my .02.

I stopped counting the number of moose I or my kids have shot at 28 and that was a few years ago. I have killed them with a cheap savage American youth model 7mm-08, .270, .308, 30-06 and .300 WM. All of those rifles did fine on moose and the 7mm-08 turned a charging Grizzly at 30 yds (did not have to kill him though).

Interestingly out of all the calibers the .300 WM took the most shots to kill a moose once. I was using Hornady hot loaded ballistic tips and shot a moose at 50 yds, he didn't even flinch. I thought there is no way I missed that thing and proceeded to shoot the thing a total of six times before it just fell over. Went up to the moose and counted six holes right through the lungs the diameter of a ball point pen (entry and exit), the bullets never expanded just passed right through.

Frank Glaser loved the .220 swift for moose, caribou and sheep and he shot more of those three species than any of us ever will.

Use the rifle you are comfortable with and like shooting. For me I walk a lot when hunting and choose the lightest rifle available in a reasonable caliber.

My favorite ammo is Remington Core-Lokt. Cheap but I use it for everything from Sheep to Grizzly and have never had an issue with it.

The only caution I would give on the 6.5 is that it is light for a charging grizzly. On a hunt a couple of years ago we had a rather large mountain grizzly storm our camp and I shot it twice through the lungs with a 30-06. Should have waited longer, but we were moose hunting and had a 6 hour hike ahead of us to move to a new spike camp. I knew he was hit really hard so we went in the dwarf birch after him. A blind man could have followed that blood trail, he easily lost about 2 gallons of blood. Sure enough 20 yds into the bushes I hear the huffing and see the bushes rattling hard, he was in a full death charge, between me and my 2 hunting partners we put 5 bullets into him and he died about 4 feet from one of them. Anyway, the guy closest to the bear was using a 6.5 and we found two of his bullets, one penetrated the hide on the lower front ankle and literally stopped on the bone, the other penetrated a little higher and only made it about 2 inches, neither would have remotely stopped the bear.

Wish you well on your hunt and hope you are successful.

OP
PredatorSlayer
So you asked a bunch of guys on the internet for advice on which rifle to use and included cartridge and bullet selection. But you’ve stated you don’t want advice on cartridge or bullet selection and nothing will change your mind.

You also said you don’t give much weight to the opinion of a bunch of guys on the internet, but you’ve cited a bunch of guys on the internet to back your argument and asked a bunch of guys on the internet for their opinions.

This comes across as either you wanted to start an argument or are not acting in a logical manner. To simplify it, it’s like asking for a cookie and then getting pissed off when you receive a cookie. If you want confirmation or support for your rifle choice (and not receive any dissenting opinions) I think you would be better off posting this in the 223 TMK thread.

I wish you the best of luck with your moose hunt and hope you get one.
I know…I am going to have to schedule an appt with a therapist about all this. If I could go back and do it over I would have left my bullet choices out of it.