Which rifle for trophy mule deer hunt?

eric1115

WKR
Can you describe what scenario you envision where the 6.5PRC with 147eldm will provide an insufficient wound channel?
Guys, I am torn. I have built and proven two rifles in the last couple years and I find myself with a trophy Nevada deer tag this year.
Question is which to take and hunt as my primary. Both have 3/4 MOA accuracy with chosen factory loads and both have equally capable scopes (Nightforce NX8 and Trijicon Tenmile HX). Both rifles are left handed Christensen Arms Ridgeline models. .300 PRC 26" shooting the 212 precision hunter and an even lighter short action Ridgeline left hand in 6.5 PRC 24" shooting the 147 grain ELD match. Recoil out of either is not a factor. Is the .300 overkill on a big muley? Is the 6.5 PRC enough? I want to take no chances. This is not a meat hunt. My intuition is the .300. Error on excess LOL.

Can you describe what scenario you envision where the 6.5PRC with 147eldm will provide an insufficient wound channel?

If you're looking for people to tell you that you need a 300prc, you're in the wrong corner of the Internet brother. Lots and lots of us are moving away from 6.5 and 7mm, but in the other direction. All my family's deer and elk tags are going to get filled using 22 cal 77TMK and 6mm 108ELDM bullets this year. Used no be a 7mmRM/180 Berger for everything guy, but I've seen the small diameter, heavy for caliber match bullet light.

OP
T

timberbuck

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the opinions. Yes, the 6.5 is dialed for the 147 LOL. I shoot both equally well. The .300 is perhaps 3/4 of a pound heavier but also longer overall because of the magnum action and 26" barrel.

I know I got lucky with the two ridgelines. Not a lot of options our there for lefty's in the premium rifle category.

Possibly they build the left hand actions better LOL

Average velocity of the 147 ELDM out of my rifle is 2866. Dialed and zero stop set at 200 yards. Trijicon Tenmile HX 5x25x50. I am very impressed with this scope.

Last edited: