Which pack?? SG, MR, Exo, Kifaru, Kuiu?

IdahoGoat

FNG
New to the forum and looking forward to sticking around a while.

So I recently bought a lower end modular pack system and was super excited, loved the features and tech behind it. I loaded it up with 80 to 100 pounds and found the waist belt maxed out on my skinny frame. It was snug but not tight enough to keep the weight on my hips. I'm getting ready to return it and start looking at a replacement. I had a half off code on the previous pack so only ran me $250 but now that I've got some dollars in the game I'm fully committed. I tried on an Initial Ascent pack in Boise last spring and loved it. The reps even allowed me to double up the sandbags and try it out with 90+ pounds in the expo center. Weight seemed to distribute well and walking seemed somewhat natural considering the extra weight. I want a modular pack with a meat shelf and although I'm open to switching to a minimalist design I would prefer the option to at least attach some extra pockets for easy access. I am a strong hiker and usually drawn to going higher and carrying more weight and taking less loads. 100 pound loads would be fairly routine if I have the pack to handle it. I plan on backpack hunting a bunch in the upcoming years and want something that will stand the test of time and have good warranty coverage. I weight 165 lbs at 6'3" with about a 32" pant waist size.

I would love to hear thoughts on folks that have experience on one or more of the brands I listed. Would especially like to hear downsides to any. Thanks in advance.

md126

WKR
SG, Exo, or Kifaru

SG is lightest/minimalist, Kifaru has unlimited options and is the heaviest. Exo is basically in the middle.

All are quality USA packs

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider
SG, Exo, or Kifaru

SG is lightest/minimalist, Kifaru has unlimited options and is the heaviest. Exo is basically in the middle.

All are quality USA packs
+1
BB.jpg

I agree with what's already been said about Kifaru, Exo, SG and Seek Outside being quality packs, made in the USA. I own a Kifaru and an Exo, I've never tried on a SG or Seek Outside. Having said that, your question is really one of personal preference, similar to the Ford/Chevy/Dodge/Toyota/Nissan debate, it really comes down to what meets your needs and is comfortable to wear. You need to try these packs on and being in ID, you should be able to reach out to guys you know or from this forum, that already own one of these packs and make arrangements to try them and decide for yourself which one fits you best and is most comfortable when carrying weight. Good luck in your research, I'm sure that you'll be happy with your decision when you make it.

You are basically asking the ford vs Chevy vs Toyota question. No real right answer and it is hard to go wrong with any of the brands you mentioned.

I am an MR fanboy. Metcalf is a tired and true design. They are going fairly cheap these days due to upcoming frame upgrade. Beartooth is the latest and greatest. They will both handle heavy loads, as will any pack on their frames.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
If you want modular and "military grade" I would recommend Kifaru.

The K3 Exo is lightweight and has a ton of great features. I'm just starting to test one out and am impressed so far.

Stone Glacier is solid, sleek, and lightweight. I've heard very few complaints from users and liked the one I tested.

All three are backed by awesome customer service and warranties.

I've never used Mystery Ranch, Seek Outside, or Kuiu so I can't give feedback there.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is definitely a great time to be a pack consumer. Plenty of awesome products being pumped out. Multiple made in America pack companies -- Initial Ascent is built right there in the Boise area.

You need to ask yourself how you want to organize your stuff. Being modular is awesome that it's limitless options but all those little pockets, tabs, and buckles add the ounces. Some people try it and love it and some give a try and go back to more simplistic lighter weight bag choice.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

oldhorse

WKR
This is definitely a great time to be a pack consumer. Plenty of awesome products being pumped out. Multiple made in America pack companies -- Initial Ascent is built right there in the Boise area.

You need to ask yourself how you want to organize your stuff. Being modular is awesome that it's limitless options but all those little pockets, tabs, and buckles add the ounces. Some people try it and love it and some give a try and go back to more simplistic lighter weight bag choice.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Very true! In my case, way too many options. Any one of the pack systems I have tried in the last five years would have served me well for the rest of my life. However, I can't leave well enough alone. Something always catches my eye, and have to try it! Best of luck to you in your search.

*zap*

WKR
I would purchase with the option to return after test since it is such a personal fit and function issue.

Good luck.

welpro222

WKR
I've only had experience with kifaru packs for the last 5 years. While it is easy for me to say they are the best available. I think it comes down to three things people tend to look at when I comes to brands:

1. Belt fit and comfort
2. Durability
3. Pack layout and features

If I had the money, I would definitely try SG and Exo. Kifaru has #1 and #2 locked down pretty good, I'm very happy with mine.

As said above all are great packs! I would agree that the 3 keys listed above are spot on. I've ran all the packs you have listed and for me the Stone Glacier was the best. My best friend chose the Kifaru as his favorite and my hunting partner chose Mystery Ranch. All of our choices were based on how it fit us, they all are top notch. Best of luck and have fun with what ever you get. See if people near you happen to have some packs for you to try out. Rokslide is everywhere you know!!

Pierrebuiltknives

Lil-Rokslider
The stone glacier killed my back. Those cross poles. I have a curved back and could always feel the overlapped side digging. My two cents. I have a kifaru lite 24 and 26 one 1/16 and 1/8.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
There a lot of us Roksliders in ID these days.. I'd try to connect with a few in your area and try on their packs...

OP
I

IdahoGoat

FNG
Thanks for the feedback. Anyone tried Initial Ascent? I've been reading through a review thread about them and they definitely peaked my interest at the show. Just curious if anyone has anything good or bad to say?

WKR
Kifaru keeps lasting and lasting for me. We have 4 in the family now. Whichever one you go with, I'd stick with USA made for sure. And as was mentioned, try to see if anyone local will let you try on one or two. Might save you a lot of time and money.

Ledd Slinger

Lil-Rokslider
I have a brand new Kuiu Pro pack waiting for me when I get home in 2 days. Well technically, I went with the Pro suspension but an Ultra 4000 cubic inch bag because it's just right for the size I wanted and the Ultra line is significantly lighter than the Pro bags. The Pro bags go from 3600 which is a little small then jump all the way to 6000 which is bigger than I need. So between not having the size I wanted in the Pro line and being heavier, I chose an Ultra bag that matched what I was looking for. I have a ton of accessories for it as well. The new gen Pro suspension is supposedly one of the best fitting and most comfortable suspensions on the market (under heavy load). Extremely adjustable at all points on the suspension for a nice custom fit and to apply weight distribution where you want it. All Verde 2.0 camo which I really like.
Lifetime warranty on everything Kuiu sells.

I will put it all together and let you know what I think when I get the chance.

Last edited:
OP
I

IdahoGoat

FNG
couesbitten thanks I saw that thread and I'm eagerly watching new posts. Thanks guys, look forward to hearing more about the Kuiu Pro. My buddy has an icon pro 3200 which I just tried on today. Only thing I don't like is the narrow frame (for meat shelf platform) and he mentioned it makes a lot of creeking noise when it flexes with heavy weight.