Which optics to upgrade first

Coming out of this season has me wanting to upgrade optics. My gear works and it's honestly probably good enough for me. Though I have had the opportunity to borrow and sample some higher end glass and now I want to upgrade my optics game.. budget wise I'll likely only get to upgrade 1 a year. Even shopping used here.

I am currently running: Leupold BX4 Proguide 10x42 binos. Vortex Ranger 1800 LRF. SWFA SS 3-15.

My gut says upgrade binos. Over the course of the year binos get used the most. I was shocked how much more I could see just borrowing better binos. It went from "yes I can see a gray deer shaped animal under that tree" to "I can see a deer, with antlers, laying under that tree, looking away, and flicking it's tail".

My heart says upgrade rifle scopes. No drama with my SWFA I just don't love it. I also need to spend more time shooting in the field and practicing and part of me wants to spend that time practicing with the scope I want and want to hunt with. Not just the scope I own.

I want to upgrade LRF just because I have the least confidence in them. Mine is 4 or 5 years old now and it hasn't given me a spec of issues. I just see so many people have issues with them that it worries me. I don't want to spend weeks/months of prepping for a hunt just for it to end because the LRF fails and I botch a shot.

Curious if anyone has been in a similar situation and which direction you ended up going. I would eventually like to get a spotter too but figure it's last in list of needs.

NealS02

FNG
I upgraded this past year on both scope and binos, but if I had to pick one with your setup it would for sure be binos. You said it yourself, there was a huge difference in picking up animals with borrowing high end optics.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Binos. Full stop. Leave that SWFA alone until you’ve upgraded other stuff.

HOWEVER…

Why not go RF binos? The Revic BLR10B would be an upgrade in both bino optics and rangefinder performance.
I agree with this, you can upgrade the optics and get rangefinding.

OP
flyfisher117
Binos. Full stop. Leave that SWFA alone until you’ve upgraded other stuff.

HOWEVER…

Why not go RF binos? The Revic BLR10B would be an upgrade in both bino optics and rangefinder performance.

After this last hunt I have lost a little confidence in my SWFA. Haven't had time to get it back to flat range for verification on potential issue.

I haven't had enough exposure to RF binos. What little exposure I have had makes them seem like a hassle archery hunting and not sure my budget will allow me to get the RF binos with good glass and electronics.

I'd personally go with upgrading the binos first depending on your upgrade budget.

No budget yet. Still researching. As of today the max I could probably justify would be a used pair of SLCs but they've been selling for big money lately.

Petergon

FNG
Coming out of this season has me wanting to upgrade optics. My gear works and it's honestly probably good enough for me. Though I have had the opportunity to borrow and sample some higher end glass and now I want to upgrade my optics game.. budget wise I'll likely only get to upgrade 1 a year. Even shopping used here.

I am currently running: Leupold BX4 Proguide 10x42 binos. Vortex Ranger 1800 LRF. SWFA SS 3-15.

My gut says upgrade binos. Over the course of the year binos get used the most. I was shocked how much more I could see just borrowing better binos. It went from "yes I can see a gray deer shaped animal under that tree" to "I can see a deer, with antlers, laying under that tree, looking away, and flicking it's tail".

My heart says upgrade rifle scopes. No drama with my SWFA I just don't love it. I also need to spend more time shooting in the field and practicing and part of me wants to spend that time practicing with the scope I want and want to hunt with. Not just the scope I own.

I want to upgrade LRF just because I have the least confidence in them. Mine is 4 or 5 years old now and it hasn't given me a spec of issues. I just see so many people have issues with them that it worries me. I don't want to spend weeks/months of prepping for a hunt just for it to end because the LRF fails and I botch a shot.

Curious if anyone has been in a similar situation and which direction you ended up going. I would eventually like to get a spotter too but figure it's last in list of needs.
Definitely upgrade your binos first. I would go by what you use the most then second and so on. I’m currently learning this lol

nobody

WKR
I haven't had enough exposure to RF binos. What little exposure I have had makes them seem like a hassle archery hunting and not sure my budget will allow me to get the RF binos with good glass and electronics.
the archery thing changes the recommendation from rangefinding binos, but I would still upgrade the binos before anything else.

OP
flyfisher117
the archery thing changes the recommendation from rangefinding binos, but I would still upgrade the binos before anything else.

Any maybe RF binos would work for archery I just don't know how to get exposure with a pair without just going for it and hoping I don't hate them. The sigs I have played with at some precision rifle matches didn't really woo me but i don't know anyone with any of the others.

If there is anyone in eastern Idaho with a pair of RF binos that would be willing to meet up at one of the archery ranges and let me test drive them that would be sweet.

Upgrade your binos for sure. 8X is a wise choice. Rangefinding binos are great if you can afford the best. If not, buy an alpha-class 8x32 or 8x42, new or used if you have to. I always suggest Swarovski due to their warranty, but optically speaking, it's neck and neck between any of the big players like Zeiss, Leica, and even Nikon.

I've bought tons of rifles, scopes, and packs over the years, but the best hunting investments I've ever made were high-end binos.

TaperPin

WKR
If you can’t range it, odds of connecting past 400 yards goes way way way down, and electronics are the least durable part of a system, so upgrading the lrf would be on the top of the list.

Between the binoculars and scope, that depends on the area you hunt and what you hunt. Only you can say if a small amount of clarity in binocs is more important than the scope, but it sounds like you don’t have a backup scope, so a new scope makes a ton of sense. I have no desire to combine binocs with a rangefinder - electronics go out of date much quicker than optics.

OP
flyfisher117
If you can’t range it, odds of connecting past 400 yards goes way way way down, and electronics are the least durable part of a system, so upgrading the lrf would be on the top of the list.

Between the binoculars and scope, that depends on the area you hunt and what you hunt. Only you can say if a small amount of clarity in binocs is more important than the scope, but it sounds like you don’t have a backup scope, so a new scope makes a ton of sense. I have no desire to combine binocs with a rangefinder - electronics go out of date much quicker than optics.

Ranging it is a concern for me because it impacts both my rifle and archery hunts. I'd probably keep the current RF as backup and let the wife use it for 3D. So we both benefit there. I do agree about electronics outdating themselves quickly hence another reservation I have about LRF/Bino combos.

Hunting southern Idaho. So wide open nothing to Timber. This year i hunted a new unit and felt completely under glassed in the bino department. Especially after borrowing some and instantly seeing more detail than before.

I do have backup scopes/rifles if it came to be, but they have their own string of issues. The SWFA would likely get moved to another rifle and that rifle may get dusted off and shot/turned into a backup.

Here's a couple examples of paths I have been throwing around in my head. Not necessarily dead set on them, not here to debate brands yet. Just trying to get rough budget ideas now.

1)Buy a Nightforce SHV or Maven Rifle Scope AND a new Sig LRF this year. Next year Buy Swaro SLC, EL, Razor HD,UHD, Maven etc.
2) Buy Nightforce NXS/NX8 or Swaro EL bino this year. Buy the other next year. Buy RF when ever funds allow.
3) Buy Razor HD binos and RF this year. Buy Rifle scope next.

Fritz D

FNG
I also live and hunt in Southern Idaho and it’s easy to feel ‘under glassed.’
I run an EL 10x50 and often wished I’d gone with a 12x50 instead?
At some point I’ll probably buy an NL 14x52 but lack of availability(currently) and the 3500 dollar price of admission is keeping my enthusiasm in check?😃