Which of these is more lethal?

Which arrow?

• Total voters
Bored in the house so.....

Which of these setups is more lethal?

The correct answer I know is shot placement, but throwing around two different arrow setups. One is 452grains, which tightens up my pins and is still pretty quiet! The other is a 502 grain setup that drops my pins beyond 40 wayyyyyy down but still hits pretty hard. Below is how they both shook down on chrono.

arrow 1 is axis 340 cut short, with 160 grains of ironwill components and point.
arrow 2 is axis 300 with 75 grains of brass

Both tune out great and are quiet.

Thoughts?!

Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 2.19.55 PM.png

i would go with the heavier of the 2, but either will be equally effective, as in, there will be no scenario when the difference of those arrows would change the outcome....

definitely picking fly shit out of chili, but i also feel ya.... it's always fun tinkering and refining, but at the end of the day, the vast majority of it will not change anything in any outcome.... just something to tinker with that's related to what we are looking forward to doing.

certainly no harm in it. i will say, there is a lot of value in picking a setup you like, sticking with it and always gaining familiarity in your setup.. in the heat of the moment, that's way more valuable than 50 grains of arrow weight

Beendare

WKR
If someone gives you a definitive answer.....They are full of DooDoo.

Both arrows about the same in all categories....and both good. I'm not saying a guy wouldn't be better off choosing one over another for his preferred criteria....but the differences are very minor.

You will notice that the 500gr arrow is a little quieter.

______

2rocky

WKR
Which ever one shoots tighter groups.
In a normal year, I spend every Wednesday night From April to August shooting a 3D league. I might shoot 3 or 4 archery tournaments a year. I only archery hunt 1-2 weeks a year. So if my hunting setup is my 3D /Target setup I have confidence it will deliver a shot in the vitals if I'm in range. I know my arrows kill elk because I've gotten pass throughs. But I definitely spend more time shooting paper or foam so I can make only 1 shot during the bow season. Might as well have that be pleasurable.

OP
WildernessLocals
roosiebull - I agree with all that! The 502 grain arrow has done well for me this past season. But it was shooting a much faster bow so I really noticed my bottom pin being muchhhh closer to the bottom of my housing. The light arrow gets me closer to where I was at sight wise last season

Bruce- yep! Both axis

Elkduds - not sure it’s legalto hunt with in BC

NC- it feels good so far!

Beendare- I’m gonna mess around shooting waxh back to back and seeing if the difference is measurable. Might sway me one way or the other. But for sure, I sort of knew going into posting this they were so close. Just curious everyone’s thoughts on the subject at this small of a difference.

Billy Goat- they both paper tune really easily and shoot well

2rocky- for sure! I shoot 50ish arrows a day on average and can shoot at home. These thing shoot so close to eachother. I’m really messing around at this point trying to decide which way to go so I can get the reps in on this setup.

sidebar. The ironwill components sure look cool 😎

Attachments

• 4A499BD7-AA36-495D-9292-7397F09B6A22.jpeg
    4A499BD7-AA36-495D-9292-7397F09B6A22.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 16

Beendare

WKR
WL, good strategy. Like I said, it depends on your criteria. You got some good answers explaining their criteria.

If you shoot them both, setup your sights for the heavy arrow first [out to 40 minimum] ....then shoot both arrows.....this overlays the trajectories better than the other way around where you are starting the heavy arrow on a lower sight plane. My bet is 1" different at 40 yds.

Chart and calculators kew this data. What you want to know is the difference between each arrow at XX distance [your avg bowhunting shot]...and its not much between the two.

I chose the heavier arrow.

_____

OP
WildernessLocals
WL, good strategy. Like I said, it depends on your criteria. You got some good answers explaining their criteria.

If you shoot them both, setup your sights for the heavy arrow first [out to 40 minimum] ....then shoot both arrows.....this overlays the trajectories better than the other way around where you are starting the heavy arrow on a lower sight plane. My bet is 1" different at 40 yds.

Chart and calculators kew this data. What you want to know is the difference between each arrow at XX distance [your avg bowhunting shot]...and its not much between the two.

I chose the heavier arrow.

_____

I like it! I’ll try that so I can gauge the actual difference. I guess I could always just print two sight tapes and compare too

Gumbo

WKR
I think the 452 gr would be more deadly for me because of the tighter pin gaps for gap shooting at longer distances. BTW that is pretty much exactly what I shoot in terms of weight and FPS. But if you hit the same spot with both obviously the heavier arrow would be better.